“Great Happy Hour!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 30 hotels in Mammoth Lakes
Delta, Canada
“Great Happy Hour!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

We stayed for one night at the Austria Hof with our family of five. Again, was a bit disappointed that when I booked for five that there was no extra bed in the room but I'm kind of getting used to it (thank goodness for the blow up bed!). Having said that the room was spacious enough with two sinks - one inside the bathroom and one out. The place is obviously geared more for the winter skier and the room showed a few signs of wear and tear. The curtains could have done with a thorough wash but the room was clean and the beds were comfortable. I loved the building, we used to live in Germany and skied in the alps a lot, so it reminded me of the Pensions we had stayed in when we used to ski there. The wifi was great and speedy and the breakfast was what we've come to expect: fruit, toast, boiled eggs, yogurt and cereal. We were glad we arrived when we did to take advantage of the Happy Hour in the bar and the menu served there too. The food was awesome and the prices were great - just felt very sorry for the barman that seemed terribly overworked and anxious to serve everyone as fast as he could as the lone person serving. There were some negatives, however. There was no air conditioning in the rooms - so the room was hot... very hot. To help with that, we slept with the window and curtains opened. I only discovered the next morning that the balcony that I thought was just ours was actually shared, so that meant that my family and I who weren't sleeping wearing much at all, had unbeknown to us been, how do I say it, pretty exposed to any other hotel guest that decided to come walking along the balcony from the hot tub! The other thing that ruined our evening and this was really no fault of the hotel's was the someone decided to break the no smoking policy. As a result, our room suddenly began to reek of cigarette smoke to the point that after an hour, I was almost wheezing in our room. We did go down to see if we could switch rooms but the front desk had closed by then and we didn't feel it was a big enough emergency to call the emergency number. In summary, this was an OK place to stay and being right at the bottom of the ski lift, it's probably the place to stay in the winter.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

182 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012 via mobile

I'm not sure what it was but I suffered terrible asthma every time we were in our room. My son also had a constant runny nose. But when we left the room the symptoms would stop. I think it was just the fact that it was an old building and needs some renovations. Also I booked a fireplace room and when my husband mentioned it the people at front desk said we didn't. I had the paper that said we did but never got around to show them. It didn't matter though cause it was so hot. Had to open windows constantly. Also the restaurant makes the hotel smell like food. I will say the location is good and I noticed the cleaning people did a great job and were friendly. Breakfast wasn't worth it, we ended up going to McDonald's. I was disappointed, not worth what they charge.

• Stayed August 2012
Sydney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Thsi place is probably a great ski lodge with a noisy bar and a very ordinary restaurant serving big stodgy meals. In the summer it has no air-con and our room had just one window which opened onto a shared balcony area over looking the carpark. This was a more expensive mountain view room and, yes, there was sloping ground to be seen beyond the carpark.
We fell for the book a meal online and save option, assuming that we'd pre-paid. When we had dinner there were items which seemed a bit interesting but we'd pre-paid for the cheap stuff so we stuck withg it. Next day at check-out we were assured that we hadn't pre-paid for anything but the room. We could have eaten at least a bit better.
We had some wine with our dinner - enormously marked up. A wuine we'd been buying in convenience stores for less than ten dollars was being offered at $30. After we'd signe the chit, the half asleep server indicated that he'd added the gratuity so we didn't have to worry. Later we saw thet he'd applied a 25% tip. When I mentioned this at checkout the clerk replied - "Oh I don't know what those bar guys downstairs get up to.
We've marked sleep quality as terrible but this was due to the altitude and not the bed.
So, for skiers who just want beer, burgers and bed, this is probably OK, but summer trippers, steer clear.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Austriahof, Owner at Austria Hof Lodge, responded to this review, August 18, 2012
Dear Roger C, Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I apologize for any issues you may have had and would like to respond to several of your issues. First, I understand that you expected the meals to be prepaid with the rest of your stay. In your particular case however I found that you requested the value meals after making your online reservations with us. Since electronic payment is collected automatically when the reservation was made it was not our policy to charge your card a second time without a swipe, rather our policy is to collect payment at checkout when we can verify the card. In addition, both at check-in and in the restaurant all guests are presented with the menu you requested which clearly states that service of 18% will be collected your server. In your case you were charged exactly 18% as outlined on the menu and on the website where you first found the special offer. And it is a special offer! We offer a three course complete dinner for 19.95 plus tip and tax. Of course you won't find our famous Poki salad or our Elk on it but it is still a very popular and delicious option for guests looking for value these days. Regarding the wine list, restaurants are not grocery stores and must maintain higher margins to stay in business. The wines you selected were an excellent Pinots and both under $30 and priced very fairly. Thank you for your comments, Joseph Mueller
Palm Springs, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012 via mobile

The Austria Hof is situated right at the bottom of a ski run/mtn bike run. The rooms are ok. Great happy hour in the bar and some seriously good food in the bar and restaurant. Friendly staff and good location.

• Stayed July 2012
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

The rooms are comfy as are the beds. Insulated for the winter months, with no A/C the room at the time of our busy was stuffy when there was no breeze outside. There is a DVD player in the rooms. WiFi, check. The jacuzzi was just fine and I have no unnamable rashes from using it.

The bar in the basement was VERY convenient and offers splendid happy hour specials. The attached restaurant focused on a bavarian style menu and was so good, we ate there both nights.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Old hotel, but friendly staff. The room is very much as i expected. The room is good size, but the bathroom is quite small. We stay in this hotel on the way to Yosemite national park.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Dublin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

Advantages:
- Clean
- Nice rooms
- Amazing jacuzzi on the roof, overlooking the ski slopes / woodland
- Nice breakfast of fresh fruit and some pastries
- Free parking
- Close to local attractions, but you still need a car

Disadvantages:
- Promised balcony, fireplace, wifi, HDTV, DVD player, radio, double sink. Received ground floor room with none of these amenities. When queries, we were told only our 'valued customers receive this' and there were no room available

Would I return? Only if I got what was promised and an apology.

Room Tip: Make sure you get what was advertised online.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
, Owner at Austria Hof Lodge, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Dear Guest, I apologize if you felt misled in any way. We clearly state all general amenities of the hotel on our website and then further list specific amenities based on each room type. For example king and queen rooms are generally on the ground floor and will not have a balcony. All rooms however do have flat screen TV"S, free WiFi, radio and, double sinks. We would never reserve better rooms for valued customers and don't have any such policy in place! What we do however is charge more for deluxe rooms such as King rooms and those with fireplaces or jetted tubs. Again, I apologize if you felt misled in any way. Please contact us direct and we would be happy look deeper into your reservation and provide you a free night if we accidentally placed you in a different room than you booked. Sincerely, Joseph Mueller

Been to Austria Hof Lodge? Share your experiences!