“Glorified Parking Lot with NO Rec Room, Owned by Contentious, Rude Individual” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Mammoth Lakes RV Park

Mammoth Lakes RV Park
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mammoth Lakes
Mammoth Lakes RV Park
You added Mammoth Lakes RV Park to your Saves list
2667 Main St, P.O. Box 288, Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546   |
Ventura, California
“Glorified Parking Lot with NO Rec Room, Owned by Contentious, Rude Individual”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

We tried staying here last week, while on an extended travel trailer trip with our kids & two of their friends, through Owens Valley and the Sierras. It was snowing when we arrived in Mammoth and we thought ithis place would be a great option, because of the rec room that they advertise, plus hook-ups and a laundry room. We arrived and my husband paid for two nights, then asked about the rec room and was told that it was closed because the owner was upset because someone had vandalized it (how about putting a coded lock system on the door, or simply not advertising it anymore?). We were worried about the prospect of staying in a small travel trailer for two days, with young kids, cold weather (in the 20's) and steady snowfall, but decided to give it a try. We unhooked the trailer and tried connecting all the lines and then realized that we only had electricity, but no water (or sewer, but we already knew about the lack of sewer hook-ups). We went to the office and asked the receptionist for a refund, and the owner walked over to the counter, and was incredibly snarky with us. She finally agreed to give us a refund only if we left "immediately." We had explained that we were upset about the rec room being closed, despite the fact that they advertise it as being available, and explained that was what drew us to her RV park in the first place. I explained that with 3 young, energetic children and a teen, we had been looking forward to the rec room, and that I couldn't fathom being stuck in our small trailer for two days with them, because of the snow and cold weather. She then chastised and scolded me, telling me that I should be ashamed of myself because I was on a family vacation and that I should want to spend time with my family in the trailer, and that she had four children of her own. She was incredibly rude, nasty and snarky. My husband, who is usually very calm, reserved and diplomatic, told her to stop being snappy, and to just finish up so that we could get out of there. I had told her that we decided to rent a condo instead, and she said, "Well, you are going to pay at least what you would pay for 3 nights here for only 1 night in a condo!" (Like it was any of her business!) I was so shocked and pissed by then, that I left my poor husband in the office alone to deal with her and to collect the receipt for our refund. We left and decided to stay at the Westin, instead, which probably costed what we would have paid for 5 nights in her glorified parking lot, without running water, sewer hook-ups, or even a picnic table or firepit (just plain asphalt!), for just 1 night at the Westin, but it was SOOOOOOOO WORTH IT after putting up with her crap! Everyone was so kind and friendly and professional at the Westin. I'd rather stay in the parking lot of a market or booondock in the middle of nowhere, rather than throwing money away to stay at an "RV Park" owned by a discourteous, contentious, unprofessional and snarky individual.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Stayed here for fishing and hiking. Loved the fish cleaning station. Pool and spa were great at the end of the day. Restrooms were clean with plenty of room and hot water. Stayed in the partial hook-up area. There are some great spots on this side of the park with shade. Each site had a picnic table, but there isn't a fire ring for each site (staff mentioned this is due to Forest Service rules).
Staff was friendly and helpful the following morning since we arrived after hours. Instructions were easy to follow as to how to get to our space (we did have reservations).
Playground was great for the kids, with picnic tables for parents to sit at.
WiFi worked great. This was a big plus since my husband had to do some work while we were on vacation.
There are bears, so just beware and don't leave food out.
Great location, close to town. Sites easy to get in/out of.
Enjoyed our vacation and we will be back again!

Room Tip: Full hook-ups have the most shade, but if they are full, the partial hook-ups have some great spots...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Moreno Valley, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

This is our third time here. Stayed for 10 days. Really like how big this park is and how close it is to Town as well as jeep trails. We had partial hook ups. Full hook ups were not available. Looks like you really have to make plans many months in advance to secure which I would recommend if your staying longer than 5 days.
Great place for kids. Has a small playground. Nice campground for bike rides and walks.
Plenty of spots for large RV's as well as spots for tent campers in a different section.
Not all sites have fire pits. Section we stayed in we're able to get DirectTv sites 64- 134 as far as I know.
Office staff very helpful. If your calling from home to make reservations don't be dissapointed if your call is not answered right away, in fact in may take a few try's to get through. They are busy but they are pretty nice and polite when you finally get to talk to them.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

We stayed at this campground for two nights in a tent site. The site itself was very large, and away from the main road, with trees, but it still feels more like camping in a park than at the lake or in the mountains. The firepit was smaller that previous campgrounds that I have been to but there was a grill over it to use for cooking. There was no tent pad and it was dusty but it is camping so I really can't complain. There were a lot of large black ants in the campground and my husband was bit several times. The bear box was about half the size as previous campgrounds I have visited. The bathrooms had outlet plugs, you have to keep pressing the shower button to keep the water flowing but that did not really bother me to much. The worst thing about it was the shower and the shower curtain both had mildew. There are sinks located outside the bathrooms with running water to clean fish. We enjoyed the pool, and the playground. The laundryroom had a good amount of washers and dryers. Overall I would say that if the amenities are important than this place is okay but there are a lot of very nice campgrounds in this area so you might want to check into the other options before placing your reservation especially because they have a no refund policy.

Room Tip: RV sites book up fast, there are plenty of tent sites available. There is a no refund policy
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

We spent 13 nights at this RV park, parked among large Ponderosa Pine trees. The park has a nice indoor pool and large hot tub, but it's only open until the office closes at 8 p.m.
Mammoth Lakes has a wonderful biking and walking trail system that runs for miles beside the road up the mountain to several lakes and hiking trails. It runs right past the front of the RV park. The city's Visitor Center is across the street from the park. The park is about 40 miles from the east gate to Yosemite.
We were in a camping trailer, but there is a large area for tent campers, complete with bear-proof storage boxes. Yes, they really do have bears, so make sure you don't leave any food or other scented items in your tent or your vehicle.

Room Tip: Ask for a spot in the wooded area. Otherwise you may end up in a sloping paved lot.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

Stayed for two nights ended up staying for five. Convenient for everything locally and Yosemite national park. It has full hook up with cable if your telly mad, showers if you wish and a good launderette for a dollar wash and 75 cents for the dryer. Each site has it's own camp fire set in a metal grate, wood is available from the office, or like us go for a walk, plenty of pine cones and sticks to pick up. And to top it all you stand a good chance of seeing a bear

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Mammoth Lakes RV Park? Share your experiences!