“Great friendly hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Bexley, Kent
“Great friendly hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2010

I visited the Best Western at the beginning of March this year with my husband and friends. What a great ski hotel. Staff were really friendly, especially Brian the barman. Great hot tub and fantastic free breakfast. Will definitely recommend to anyone visiting Mammoth and will be visiting again.

Anyone who hasn't been skiing in Mammoth do not know what they are missing - it is fantastic.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2010

OK...I wasn't expecting much...but I was so pleased!!!.

First off...many people complain about the lower floors looking into the hill...so a note here....ask for the 3rd floor! There is a huge snow pack...the hotel cant do anything about that! We had room 336....all the way on the end...never heard a single ski boot all day and night. It was super quiet and the place was packed! Sure a snowplow was on the lot at 5am...but that happens anywhere you stay if they have some decent snow removal. The alternative is nasty having to shovel yourself out and that cuts into your ski time. There are carports to keep you car from getting too dumped on.

OK...the room was great. Beds were comfy...pillows were OK...I'd bring my own next time...heater worked...big flat screen TV...internet wifi...bathroom...its all just fine. Jacuzzi was perfect...strong jets and hot water...pool is small so dont expect to swim laps. Breakfast was great...fresh waffles, pancakes, eggs and bacon...I thought the potatoes were iffy...i like them crisper. Good service, lots to eat...Oh this was a great idea!

I will never understand why people stay at a Best Western and complain because it isn't a Westin...wake up people...if you want a Westin, go pay through the nose. For 2 guys...two nights was $170 each. What a steal! I would have had to pay a $20 for the amount of food I ate...and we were so well fed, we never even stopped on the mountain for lunch. We skied straight through...I figure this place saved me $35 a day in food.

I like condo life myself...but the next time I'm going skiing with one buddy, this is my new place. I've stayed at low rent places in Mammoth (motel 6, travel lodge, Holiday Inn, Shilo Inn...this place isn't close to those...this place is clean and nice. I've been coming to Mammoth since my Dad took me in 1964. I've seen lots of places come and go and I know the place like the back of my hand. Dont believe the bad reviews. Those people are clueless. This place rocked. I'll be back!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Uppsala, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2010

Stayed in Mammoth for a week of snow sun and skiing. The hotel was ok, liked the jacussi on afternoons after a full day of skiing, we had a board set up over our window to secure the window from heavy spring snow, that was not ok, felt like living in a mine or something, it was eventually removed and we got some light again. But, overall, it was a good place to stay if you are going skiing in the area.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

Staying at a hotel on the main road up to any ski area is all about having the right expectations. In a nutshell, the Best Western High Sierra is a very good two star hotel. You can spend as much as you want in Mammoth during ski season. For a guys’ ski trip, we couldn’t ask for much better, and we didn’t have to spend that much.

The Good
1. Complimentary Breakfast. We were there to ski. The convenience of getting up, going downstairs to eat eggs, bacon, potatoes, muffins and waffles was fantastic. If we had brought the six kids that we had between us and had to feed them, that would’ve been an extra $60/day, easy. Just discount the rate.
2. Clean no-nonsense rooms. The beds were fine – not heavenly bed comfortable but not scratchy-sheet abrasive either. Housekeeping cleaned up at night. The single sink is separate from the shower and toilet which was good for us so we could get wake up later and ready quickly. I brought my own shampoo fearing the worst but ended up using the hotel’s.
3. Free internet. Sometimes four star hotels charge for it, so it’s a pleasant surprise to get a free connection, and with clear, easy-to-find directions in the room too. The connection speed was pretty slow, however, but OK for just browsing online.
4. Pool and hot tub. If we had brought the kids, the indoor pool would’ve made the après ski more bearable. Without them, the hot tub made the après ski a lot more relaxing. It’s not the Grand Wailea, but I didn’t spend $350/night.
5. Close to shuttle. We walked about 50 yards up Main Street past the Post Office to the shuttle to the Village which was really convenient. The ride back to the hotel at the end of the day was a different story, however, with sardine-packed buses which seemed to be as late as the morning shuttles were on time.
6. Parking close to hotel. The hotel is surrounded by parking which doesn’t create much ambiance but when it’s cold, windy and snowing, I’ll take the shorter walk. Some of the spaces are even covered.
7. Service. We had pleasant service throughout.

The Not Nearly As Good
1. Noise. If I would single out one thing that was challenging, it was the noise level. When I turned off the lights in our room, I could see the crack of light from the hallway under the door. That’s not a good sign. You could hear people get home late and wake up shockingly early. Fortunately we had a third story (top floor) room. Otherwise I can only imagine how loud the ski boots would’ve sounded from above. Turning on the air conditioner fan gave us the right amount of white noise to drown out all but the most boisterous of guests.
2. Pool smell. My first impression when I walked into the hallway from the parking lot was that it smelled like a bad hotel. It then occurred to me that I was next to the pool on the first floor. The upper floors didn’t have the same chlorine smell.
3. Key cards in the outside doors. Sometimes it took a few tries to get the key cards to work in the outside doors. Not that big a deal.

All in all, the Best Western High Sierra is not a bad choice. And I can guarantee that the folks in the hot tub were a lot friendlier than they were at the Westin up the street.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2010

I was pleasantly surprized. The rooms were nice and clean. The indoor pool was great after a day of skiing and kept clean. The breakfast was nice to have and the coffee was good. I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed February 2010
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2010

The Best Western High Sierra was perfect for our 3-day ski/snowboard trip. We booked through Travelocity- something like $160/night for three weeknights- for their standard two-queen room.

Our room was decent sized, the complimentary breakfast was really good, the free wireless was helpful, and the covered parking was easily accessible. It’s about a 5-10 minute walk to the nearest Mammoth Mountain bus (free) stop. From there, you’re probably another 35 minutes from the slopes if you get off the bus at the Village & take the Gondola up to Canyon Lodge. So the Best Western is convenient but taking the free Mammoth Mountain bus adds about 45 minutes to your trip up to the mountain. This isn’t a big deal when you’re done skiing at 4 it but can eat into your morning if you don’t get going early.

I would definitely stay here again- good service & an excellent value.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends

WiFi
Great breakfast
Absolutely no complaints!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS High Sierra Hotel? Share your experiences!