“Mixed bag but still a good Mammoth choice” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #5 of 30 Hotels in Mammoth Lakes
Belmont, California
“Mixed bag but still a good Mammoth choice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

This modern hotel has a mix of some great aspects and a few flaws. It is spotlessly clean. The air conditioning (often a real need in summer in Mammoth but lacking from most of the older facilities) works well but is loud; it can wake one up as it turns on and off during the night. The rooms are large and nicely laid out, with good beds, but noise comes through the door into the room too easily (including hearing the shutting of doors to other rooms). The small indoor pool and spa can be crowded. The free breakfast, however, is good, including fresh fruit choices such as blackberries. For those who are stiff from hiking in summer or skiing in winter, then the small on-site "day spa" (a tiny room) has excellent staff (by reservation only). I gave this hotel a four rating (very good) based on the reasonable prices in summer; it would be a three rating if higher priced. (PS - This is all non-smoking and it's hidden behind the Chevron station.)

Room Tip: If you are noise-sensitive, request a room accordingly.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
EmilyEC, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS High Sierra Hotel, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Hello Tom_and_Vicki_W
Thank you for your 4 rating. My suggestion for those that are noise sensitive is to request third floor so no one is above you, to be away from the elevator/stairwell/ice machine, and to not have an adjoining door. Now, keep in mind that we will always do our best to accommodate those requests but there are times when we are not able to do so. Hope you enjoyed your travels.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Los Angeles, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

The hotel was minutes away from lakes. The room was a good size. The bathroom was clean. Housekeeping did a great job. The indoor pool was great. The free breakfast was good and featured eggs, sausages, pancakes, etc. My only complaint was the price of the room, I booked it initially using mu government employee discount, but before the trip they notified me that they would not honor it , because my trip was for pleasure and not official business. I mean, does it matter? They should be happy that somebody was staying at their hotel for pleasure. So I had to use my AAA discount instead.

Stayed July 2014
Dear Pepe97
Thank you for staying with us to enjoy the area! Please remember that the government per diem rate is established as a rate that the government is willing to reimburse you when you travel for work. Some hotels will give it to you regardless of whether you are there to work or play, however this should not be expected, When you are not getting reimbursed by the government, you are not entitled to receive this $70 discount. Glad you had a good stay.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

We reserved the room through hotels.com, and paid for it. In morning there was a piece of paper slipped under our door. They had slapped on almost 30 dollars more than we originally was informed we should pay through hotels.com. This was tax, but it should had beed included in the amount we reserved the room for. They blamed hotels.com, but they should know this and this should not have happened.

Be aware of that you can't pay for the room through hotels.com when you reserve the room, you have to wait to checkout. People will reserve a room at the hotel because it looks like it is almost 30 dollars cheaper than it really is (through hotels.com). I choose to believe that they know about this, and they this is a way for them to dishonestly make money.

They had a business center, but it was 6,95 for 15 minutes. Insane. I wanted to use it because I had some software problems with my computer. i guess I had to wait for the next hotel.

At the check-in I got listed up the longest list of rules and information I have ever heard. I guess if we broke any one of the we would be in trouble. I did not feel very welcome.

I'll give them the rating of 2 because of the cleanliness of the room.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
EmilyEC, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS High Sierra Hotel, responded to this review, July 20, 2014
Dear Oslo_hiker,
Let me start off saying that we are not hotels.com. They are a separate booking agency that pulls our information and presents it to the guest as they wish. Unfortunately, this is often misleading which is why we always suggest booking directly with the hotel. You are right in saying that potential guests will book these sites because they think they are getting a better deal but please please read ALL of the details so that you know what to expect. You not reading these details does not make us dishonest. You actually had an opportunity to address this misunderstanding at check in when we asked you initial for the rate + tax that you were to pay for your stay. Please once again read what you are signing for.

As for the business center, you must be thinking of another hotel as we have never charged to use our business center. We have two computers with a printer/fax and don't even charge for paper (as long as you aren't printing 50 copies).

I'm sorry that you didn't feel welcomed. The information that we provide to you is so that there are no surprises during your stay. Surprises such as a bear breaking into your car because we didn't inform you remove all food and trash out of it.

I hope that you enjoyed the rest of your travels without any more misunderstandings.
Redondo Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Easy in and out of Mammoth location for summer activities in the area. I visited the hotel during the summer time, staff was pleasant and welcoming. The hotel was clean, the free hot breakfast was a nice plus. A gas station is adjacent to the property which makes it easy for refueling and to obtain basic groceries and drinks. The internet connection was on the poor side, although the signal was good the connection was slow. The location of the hotel is good for the outdoor opportunities in the area. Parking was easy and convenient.

Room Tip: Downstairs rooms may have a poor view to the parking lot, storage facility or street.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Grass Valley, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Malfunctions reported: Bath light/fan did not work. Deadbolt door lock was broken. Best breakfast included ever experienced. Noise neighboring car wash and barking dogs. Wrong room assigned on first try by careless desk clerk.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Dear Richard C
Thank you for your review. Please know that when you provide us with a special request, we will do our best to accommodate them but there will be times when we can't. It is not carelessness but rather an attempt to not inconvenience you with the installation of hallway carpet that made us put you on the first floor rather than your requested third floor. I'm glad that we were able to resolve the maintenance issues that you had as soon as you let us know but please always let us know about loud dogs or children so that we can ask those guests to keep it down. As for the car wash, they are required to shut it down by 9PM so if it continues please let us know so that we can call them. I'm glad that you at least enjoyed the complimentary hot buffet breakfast.
Blaton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

We really enjoyed our stay there! The staff was very helpfull and frienldy, our room (appartment with 2 separate sleeping rooms) was big, comfortable and clean. We enjoyed the kitchen, that allowed us to avoid one more restaurant adn cook ourself.
The beakfeast was great in a nice and big room located in the local indian restaurant.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Huntington Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

I really enjoyed our stay here. The location and price cannot be beat. You are located in the middle of town so very conveniently close to everything, while still a short drive to the ski lodges. The woman at check-in was very polite. The room size was good. The view was of a wall of the next building over, but I was there to ski, not look out the window so I did not care about that. The exercise room is very tiny, but it was always empty when I was there, so it did not matter. We used the indoor spa...very nice. The room had a refrigerator and microwave. Oh, and I almost forgot, breakfast was included! Such a great start to the day.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS High Sierra Hotel? Share your experiences!