“would not go back” 2 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Grobbendonk, Belgium
“would not go back”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I stayed here just 1 night on a escorted tour through the southwest in october 2012. This hotel was the least on the 13 night. I didn't like the location and the surroundings (there was something like a storage company) and the road was with cars on a high speed. Dinner and breakfast where not tasteful, just 'edible'.
Room was clean and there where enough amenities but not on a level what I expect. Hopefully the price is right when you book it. (for me it was inclusive on the escorted tour)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
EmilyEC, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS High Sierra Hotel, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Dear Isabelle,
I was surprised to receive your review 6 months after your stay but none the less let me shed some light.
We are in the center of our small town which means that not only are we in an ideal location to walk to shops and restaurants but there are building around us. For the best views ask for a third floor room.
The speed limit on the road in front of us is 35 miles per hour and it is 4 lanes so to ease the crossing concerns, there are cross walks every so often with a flashing light to warn oncoming traffic to stop. Please use those cross walks for the safest route across.
I am also sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your dinner or complimentary hot buffet breakfast, many people enjoy our food.
Finally, being on a tour, you don't have the capacity to pick and choose your hotels but if you do travel independently, I urge you to check out the Best Western PREMIUM hotels. There are three levels to Best Western properties: standard, PLUS, and PREMIUM. We are on the upper side of the PLUS level but it sounds like you might enjoy the PREMIUM level more.
Thank you for your review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Bled, Slovenia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Bathroom was freezing cold, refrigirator in the room was loud, no wireless connection in the room.
When wanted to go to the breakfast the said i need to wait, because the dinning room was full....even though there were still few tabels free.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear fr34k,
I am sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay.
Let me address a few of your issues:
*As the bathrooms are on the interior of the rooms (no exterior wall) if you choose for your room to be cold (guest adjusted thermostats are on the wall by the heater/air conditioner) your bathroom will be as well. Please in the future adjust that thermostat to your desired temperature.
*If you are a light sleeper and the normal buzz of a mini frig keeps you awake, please feel free to unplug it.
*We have four wireless routers on each floor so that guests can get internet in their rooms but when the town is in a high occupancy time, as was the time you were here, it can be spotty and not strong enough to stream video. The town of Mammoth Lakes has limited bandwidth and when any one person is using 2 or 3 devices at a time, this slows the entire system down. There is a large project going on in the area which will improve this issue.
*For the enjoyment of all of our breakfast guests, you may be asked to wait to enter for breakfast until our workers are able to clear and clean a table for you to sit at. This was the case during your stay so it sad to hear that you felt this courtesy was an inconvenience.
Thank you for staying with us.
australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

This was a good basic hotel and it had a laundry and the reception staff were more than helpful. The breakfast was a really pleasant surprise and was really very good. In fact better than a couple of Hyatt where we had had breakfast.

Dear gghorse,
It is good to hear that we exceeded your expectation with our complimentary hot buffet breakfast and that you had a good stay with us. See you again soon.
Redondo Beach, California, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

This was out first stay since this property became a Best Western Hotel. Staff was friendly and helpful. Wonderful continental breakfast included with stay. Easy access to public transportation. Planning to stay here again.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Dear Madelyn_1961
Thank you for your wonderful review...I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you again.
Edwards, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is a very clean, basic hotel with a high level of service. I was very happy with my stay! It's nothing super fancy, but everything is clean, breakfast was included in my rate and was a very decent buffet and overall the hotel was very comfortable. You can catch the free shuttle by walking just a couple minutes away from the hotel. If you feel like walking about 1.5 miles you can just walk to the gondola and the restaurants/bars in the downtown area as well so great location!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
EmilyEC, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS High Sierra Hotel, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Dear nunce1,
Thank you for your great review. We are indeed in a nice location within walking distance to many restaurants and retail shops. Remember to ask the front desk for dinner suggestions as they have free appetizer coupons they can give you. We look forward to seeing you again.
Carlsbad, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My overall review of the hotel is that it is clean, well appointed and comfortable. I do however have a major problem with management’s policy of not being forthright and honest in regards to their NO early check-out term. I may have accepted this term if it had been disclosed when I made my reservation and I could decide upon the risk, not at arrival where upon I became in effect trapped. I believe that this was purposely done in order to keep me uninformed and avoid the possibility of not making a reservation because of this term. A careful review of my reservation terms had the usual cancelation, pets, non- smoking terms but no mention of early check-out. I was made aware of this at checked-in. This is what management calls the check-in terms which are the same as the reservation terms but they add the MAJOR term of no early check-out. Management will allow you an early check-out if you notify them at check-in, remember to bring your crystal ball in order to see the future. If you have a personal emergency or want to beat a storm out of town your remaining stay will be charged. I asked about a credit for the remaining stay if I had to leave early and the answer was that it depends upon the circumstances and if credited it would have to be redeemed within one year, OK if I could get it, want to return and management is still there to honor it.

Dear Advised1,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for giving me the opportunity to shed more light on our no early departure policy. The policy is this: Once you have checked in and signed your registration card, you are entering into an agreement with us. We agree to not rent your room to another guest for the length of your stay and you agree to pay for all of those nights rented. Now, we do understand that emergencies do happen and that some people worry about them before they actually occur, so we provide a few options. When we inform you of this policy at check in, we give you the opportunity to shorten your stay without penalty so that you can simply add each day that is emergency free. Secondly, when something does occur, we invite you to speak to a manager. While this is not guaranteed, we will often provide a credit for the remaining nights. We generally hold this money until the end of the season but are flexible if asked. Please remember that you are coming into a winter environment from approximately November to April and that it is your responsibility to look at the weather report and be prepared for winter conditions. We will generally not provide the credit option for weather. Shorten your stay at check in if an incoming storm is a concern. Also, be aware that these options are not available if you book your reservation through a 3rd party or book certain non cancellable discounts. I'm glad that you had an enjoyable stay with no emergencies.
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

We stopped off here on route to San Francisco from Las Vegas and we absolutely loved it. So picturesque, amazing and I couldn’t help keep an eye out for bears. We didn’t see any on our stay  but on route through Yosemite national park we saw a mummy and a baby bear… sooo cute! You have to remove all rubbish, food, deodorant, lip balm etc out of your cars as the bears will smell it and can do some serious damage trying to get to it! Breakfast was nice and standards were good, we used the small gym while we were there but definitely noticed the altitude difference whilst on the cross trainer as I could barely breathe!! Swimming pool looked fine but we didn’t get to have a swim… I would definitely go back here to spend a little more time! 

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear Amy D,
I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed the Eastern Sierra and Mammoth Lakes. It's fun to hear that you had an opportunity to see some of our wildlife. Thank you for your fantastic review and we look forward to seeing you the next time that you are in the states.

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS High Sierra Hotel? Share your experiences!