“Mammoth simply does not care” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay and Play
Ranked #7 of 30 Hotels in Mammoth Lakes
pasadena
“Mammoth simply does not care”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Greetings fans,
The family and I returned to yet another snowboarding trip to mammoth lakes, California. Call us crazy, but we are on the search for descent accommodations. We were initially offended and upset by the lack cleanliness, consideration, and commitment that we saw from tamarack lodge, the village, juniper springs and have decided that this I s simply what one must put up with the mammoth lakes conglomerate. We have changed out expectations to believe that the accommodations for which one pays top dollar for will be substandard and now we are looking the that hotel which is the oasis we've been looking for.

This weekend to have changed from the rudeness and crudeness of juniper springs to mammoth inn. I've read reviews describing it as dated. However, I wish it remind the reader,that dated is when we go to grandmas house. You walk in and the aroma of baked goodies greets you and the homes appliances date back to these entries, hey even the fifties. Laminate counter tops in green,yellow and orange abound. That my friends is dated.

No, the mammoth mountain inn is dated, yet the overall impression of dated on top of a snow capped mountain top, drinking cocoa would be tolerable, if not appealing but for the lack of maintenance to. The facility. The elevator is extremely small and with what appears to be a filthy felt-like gray square which I suspect replaced a rotted out carpet. The odor of wet meets the nostrils as an insult. Entering the room one notes it to be larger in size, the Murphy bed bring a smile as you recall grandmas house, only to snap back to reality, "what a dump". Kitchenette adequate for four. Open the utensils and note the food on the utensil, spots and dust. We had to wash in hot water.the rug, O M G the rug is filthy. My daughter took her shoes o ff for 10 minutes and we had to change the socks. Only walk in slippers.. Open windows are in need of repair. The windows do not open adequately due to lack of maintenance, the mirrored door is off its slider, the door to the master bedroom does not close. In the second bedroom,there must have been an o ld, wet, dog for the acrid smell that assaults the nostrils cause us to leave the window open. We had to take our chances, the odor or pneumonia.

In summary...the mountain is beautiful, we are snowboarding addicts and will continue to search for a location where those of us who expect to get descent accommodations, not luxurious but descent, with respectful customer service oriented staff will find it. The season I s coming to an end but I think there is still one or two possible entries left.

Room Tip: Avoid second floor west. It is a zoo. Never accept a room that is not on the top floor. Families w...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Truckee, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

Our room was room 515. Avoid any rooms that start with 5 or 4. If you get one of those you are in the ghetto rooms. The emergency exit door on our floor was stuck open, broken. That was of concern since there are bear warning signs everywhere. I called to Alert someone, but nothing was ever done To fix the problem. The carpet was dirty, ripped, and frayed at every seam as we walked down the hallway to our room. The place didn't smell dirty, so I know the housekeeping staff is doing their job. The room was ok. The pictures in previous reviews 13-16 reflect my room. The one thing they didn't show was the bad nature of the plastic tub enclosure. It was old and pitted. If this tub were in my home, I would have changed it out before I made the bathroom counter top granite. The tub enclosure was a few inches taller than I am. As a result, the shower head was mounted a few inches below the top of the tub enclosure. The shower head pointed down a few inches still, forcing me to do the limbo to rinse my hair. I would love to face the shower head, bend my head forward to rinse, letting the soapy water run into my ears and off my hair, but I am not supposed to. There was no refrigerator or microwave in the room. You can request it, and if available they will bring you one. The staff is awesome. I called and requested the stuff and they brought it right away. Unfortunately the microwave was faulty and we were afraid to use it. It kept running on its own when we plugged it in - so no popcorn or cup of noodles for us. The refrigerator cycled every hour or so - loudly - and woke us up in the night. Our room had a lot of closet space, but no light in the closet. At night and in the early morning I had to use a flashlight to find my gear and not turn on all the lights and disturb my still sleeping family members. The room was small. It fit the two Queen beds with only a few feet between the edge of the bed and the wall. Now add a large reading chair, a dresser, and a table and chair to that space - oh and two adults one child. We were in eachothers way constantly! This was not a room you could sit and relax in, so we didn't. We relaxed at the hot tub/ pool. I have stayed at some pretty dumpy places in my life, I just haven't paid as much as for them as I did for this place.

• Stayed March 2013
Redondo Beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We've stayed here in the Mammoth Mountain Inn twice now. I am sure you can stay at a lot nicer places but you are paying for the location. The rooms are dated but functional. The first time we stayed at the main building, but they gave us a room that was really close to the lobby. It was kinda noisy. This time, we stayed at the west wing, and it made a huge difference. No noise problems, and don't we all love the covered parking. The second time we were here we brought our one year old baby and we left her at the daycare located inside Mammoth Mountain Inn. The daycare is amazing. The staff here are so nice and the facility is very nicely kept with all the swings and other gear up to date functioning great. Because of the convenience of having the childcare right there, and then being able to go right up to the slopes, we will definitely be back here.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We are staying here right now. West annex first room 501 which was a very nice sized 1 bed condo. it smelled like cigarette smoke. at first i thought it would be the taking of our next door neighbors but i put on the complimentary ear buds and i slep right away. i woke up at 3am feeling like i couldnt breathe and it was the smokey smell. I kept walkingback and forth between the bedroom and the living room wondering if I was imagining things. i couldnt go back to sleep because of the smell so i called the front desk and asked if they had other rooms. I was desperate so i walked over to the main lodge to pick up the keys at 5am. From the choices that i was given, i took 614 also nice sized but a 2 bed condo. I am crossing my fingers and hoping to get sleep tonight. I felt groggy and horrible all day from not sleeping and did not enjoy my day of skiing which is the whole point of staying right next to the gondola and paying the price for it. So for that reason I don't think it's worth paying the price too stay next to the gondola if you can't get a good night sleep which you need to have a terrific day of skiing.

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We were looking for a great location and great condo. We have stayed in Mammoth Mountain many times, but, wanted to stay at the MM Inn. I had read it was a little dated, but, I knew the location was great. After much research, I decided to get the biggest, best, most expensive condo that MM Inn had to offer with views of the mountain and the skiers. We ended up with a 2 bedroom, loft, 3 bathroom, sleeps 10 but, we were only 4 adults. One person flew in from New Jersey the night before to San Diego, then we drove 7 hours in the morning to get to Mammoth, so I wanted to make sure it was perfect. Upon check-in we had a problem, but, the Manager Darla took care of our concers, she went out of her way to make sure we were happy with the results. Thank You Darla. We make this trip every year, ski mammoth then drive to Palm Desert for the Indian Wells Tennis Tournament. Next year, we all decided once again we will book condo 600, it is the only condo, this size, that faces the mountain, bright and spacious. We loved our stay and the location...I can not comment on the other condos or rooms but the main lodge is charming with a roaring fireplace and many other amenities, ski valet, ski shop, etc. We have finally come back to the Mammoth Moutain Inn. We are spoiled now, location, location, location.

We were in Whistler 2 weeks ago, Mammoth does not have the night life or apres ski that some resorts have, but, it is such a great mountain to ski, and is so well cared for, all night we could see the cats grooming parts of the mountain. Next year we will book well in advance to get this special Condo. It is touching to see many photos from the 50's-60's, when Mammoth began.

Room Tip: Condo 600, west side, close to Jacuzzis and pool.
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Been to the Mammoth Mountain numerous times over the last several decades. There is no question the resort has become very dated, but the main lodge is still nice. Built before many codes enacted and most of the facility is not handicap accessible. There is no elevator in the main lodge, so if you stay on the second floor, either you or a valet must carry your luggage and equipment up the stairs. However, the main building is still by far the nicest and best kept. Other buildings are in various stages of aging, and walls are paper thin.

On the positive side, you can't beat the location. Walk right out the door to the lifts and main ski lodge. A ski valet keeps your skis and brings them outside , across the driveway each morning. There is a pool, jacuzzi, and ski tuning room in one of the outlying buildings.

We will continue to stay at MMI when skiing at Mammoth, but only in the main building.

• Stayed February 2013
newport beach, ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

like most of the reviews here, i agree that you are paying for location. there is nothing exceptionally bad about this property, it's just that there is nothing that is exceptionally awesome either. yes you can walk to the main lodge and lifts, and you could get a similar experience from the village hotels... but that would probably cost you quite a bit more. we, as a group of girls coming up to ski, were fine with it. the rooms are big enough, the beds were comfortable enough, and we had easy access to the mountain. the rooms were quite loud from fellow weekend warriors, but i sleep quite easily so it didn't bother me when i needed to crash - though the rest of the girls complained. my one gripe is that we called the front desk on saturday night before our scheduled sunday checkout to see if a late checkout option was available. we were told it shouldn't be a problem, but to call first thing in the morning to get on the list. we woke up early on sunday (super early since it was also daylight savings time) and called down, only to be told the option wasn't available. i know hotels have turnover and housekeeping has a schedule but i find it really hard to believe our request couldn't be accomodated on sunday in mid-march - is the hotel really booked out for sunday check-ins? doubtful. i'd stay here again for a last minute deal, but i think it'd be worth it to spend a bit more for better service and slightly better maintained facilities/amenities.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Mammoth Mountain Inn? Share your experiences!