“Did not meet my expectations.” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Lift&Lodging
Ranked #11 of 30 Hotels in Mammoth Lakes
rocklin
“Did not meet my expectations.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

Our room was room 515. Avoid any rooms that start with 5 or 4. If you get one of those you are in the ghetto rooms. The emergency exit door on our floor was stuck open, broken. That was of concern since there are bear warning signs everywhere. I called to Alert someone, but nothing was ever done To fix the problem. The carpet was dirty, ripped, and frayed at every seam as we walked down the hallway to our room. The place didn't smell dirty, so I know the housekeeping staff is doing their job. The room was ok. The pictures in previous reviews 13-16 reflect my room. The one thing they didn't show was the bad nature of the plastic tub enclosure. It was old and pitted. If this tub were in my home, I would have changed it out before I made the bathroom counter top granite. The tub enclosure was a few inches taller than I am. As a result, the shower head was mounted a few inches below the top of the tub enclosure. The shower head pointed down a few inches still, forcing me to do the limbo to rinse my hair. I would love to face the shower head, bend my head forward to rinse, letting the soapy water run into my ears and off my hair, but I am not supposed to. There was no refrigerator or microwave in the room. You can request it, and if available they will bring you one. The staff is awesome. I called and requested the stuff and they brought it right away. Unfortunately the microwave was faulty and we were afraid to use it. It kept running on its own when we plugged it in - so no popcorn or cup of noodles for us. The refrigerator cycled every hour or so - loudly - and woke us up in the night. Our room had a lot of closet space, but no light in the closet. At night and in the early morning I had to use a flashlight to find my gear and not turn on all the lights and disturb my still sleeping family members. The room was small. It fit the two Queen beds with only a few feet between the edge of the bed and the wall. Now add a large reading chair, a dresser, and a table and chair to that space - oh and two adults one child. We were in eachothers way constantly! This was not a room you could sit and relax in, so we didn't. We relaxed at the hot tub/ pool. I have stayed at some pretty dumpy places in my life, I just haven't paid as much as for them as I did for this place.

• Stayed March 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Redondo Beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We've stayed here in the Mammoth Mountain Inn twice now. I am sure you can stay at a lot nicer places but you are paying for the location. The rooms are dated but functional. The first time we stayed at the main building, but they gave us a room that was really close to the lobby. It was kinda noisy. This time, we stayed at the west wing, and it made a huge difference. No noise problems, and don't we all love the covered parking. The second time we were here we brought our one year old baby and we left her at the daycare located inside Mammoth Mountain Inn. The daycare is amazing. The staff here are so nice and the facility is very nicely kept with all the swings and other gear up to date functioning great. Because of the convenience of having the childcare right there, and then being able to go right up to the slopes, we will definitely be back here.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We are staying here right now. West annex first room 501 which was a very nice sized 1 bed condo. it smelled like cigarette smoke. at first i thought it would be the taking of our next door neighbors but i put on the complimentary ear buds and i slep right away. i woke up at 3am feeling like i couldnt breathe and it was the smokey smell. I kept walkingback and forth between the bedroom and the living room wondering if I was imagining things. i couldnt go back to sleep because of the smell so i called the front desk and asked if they had other rooms. I was desperate so i walked over to the main lodge to pick up the keys at 5am. From the choices that i was given, i took 614 also nice sized but a 2 bed condo. I am crossing my fingers and hoping to get sleep tonight. I felt groggy and horrible all day from not sleeping and did not enjoy my day of skiing which is the whole point of staying right next to the gondola and paying the price for it. So for that reason I don't think it's worth paying the price too stay next to the gondola if you can't get a good night sleep which you need to have a terrific day of skiing.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We were looking for a great location and great condo. We have stayed in Mammoth Mountain many times, but, wanted to stay at the MM Inn. I had read it was a little dated, but, I knew the location was great. After much research, I decided to get the biggest, best, most expensive condo that MM Inn had to offer with views of the mountain and the skiers. We ended up with a 2 bedroom, loft, 3 bathroom, sleeps 10 but, we were only 4 adults. One person flew in from New Jersey the night before to San Diego, then we drove 7 hours in the morning to get to Mammoth, so I wanted to make sure it was perfect. Upon check-in we had a problem, but, the Manager Darla took care of our concers, she went out of her way to make sure we were happy with the results. Thank You Darla. We make this trip every year, ski mammoth then drive to Palm Desert for the Indian Wells Tennis Tournament. Next year, we all decided once again we will book condo 600, it is the only condo, this size, that faces the mountain, bright and spacious. We loved our stay and the location...I can not comment on the other condos or rooms but the main lodge is charming with a roaring fireplace and many other amenities, ski valet, ski shop, etc. We have finally come back to the Mammoth Moutain Inn. We are spoiled now, location, location, location.

We were in Whistler 2 weeks ago, Mammoth does not have the night life or apres ski that some resorts have, but, it is such a great mountain to ski, and is so well cared for, all night we could see the cats grooming parts of the mountain. Next year we will book well in advance to get this special Condo. It is touching to see many photos from the 50's-60's, when Mammoth began.

Room Tip: Condo 600, west side, close to Jacuzzis and pool.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Been to the Mammoth Mountain numerous times over the last several decades. There is no question the resort has become very dated, but the main lodge is still nice. Built before many codes enacted and most of the facility is not handicap accessible. There is no elevator in the main lodge, so if you stay on the second floor, either you or a valet must carry your luggage and equipment up the stairs. However, the main building is still by far the nicest and best kept. Other buildings are in various stages of aging, and walls are paper thin.

On the positive side, you can't beat the location. Walk right out the door to the lifts and main ski lodge. A ski valet keeps your skis and brings them outside , across the driveway each morning. There is a pool, jacuzzi, and ski tuning room in one of the outlying buildings.

We will continue to stay at MMI when skiing at Mammoth, but only in the main building.

• Stayed February 2013
newport beach, ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

like most of the reviews here, i agree that you are paying for location. there is nothing exceptionally bad about this property, it's just that there is nothing that is exceptionally awesome either. yes you can walk to the main lodge and lifts, and you could get a similar experience from the village hotels... but that would probably cost you quite a bit more. we, as a group of girls coming up to ski, were fine with it. the rooms are big enough, the beds were comfortable enough, and we had easy access to the mountain. the rooms were quite loud from fellow weekend warriors, but i sleep quite easily so it didn't bother me when i needed to crash - though the rest of the girls complained. my one gripe is that we called the front desk on saturday night before our scheduled sunday checkout to see if a late checkout option was available. we were told it shouldn't be a problem, but to call first thing in the morning to get on the list. we woke up early on sunday (super early since it was also daylight savings time) and called down, only to be told the option wasn't available. i know hotels have turnover and housekeeping has a schedule but i find it really hard to believe our request couldn't be accomodated on sunday in mid-march - is the hotel really booked out for sunday check-ins? doubtful. i'd stay here again for a last minute deal, but i think it'd be worth it to spend a bit more for better service and slightly better maintained facilities/amenities.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I have to tip my hat off to the amazing staff at the Mammoth Mountain Inn. It is a true pleasure to stay there when I know that Cory the Bellman and Harriett the Front Desk person are there year after year to greet us! This is not a 4 Star resort but it makes up for that in service. I am an only parent who travels up to Mammoth with my two small kids about 3-4 times a winter. From the minute I arrive I feel like family. My kids love this place and we settle and have so much fun every time. Ski school across the parking lot, fabulous day care (Stephanie is the best!) and everyone who works there makes our little vacations the best!!

Room Tip: Mountain side rooms are nice. The place needs a healthy upgrade but for the money and convenience it...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Mammoth Mountain Inn? Share your experiences!