“Great location for the slopes. Not for the town” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Lift&Lodging
Ranked #7 of 30 Hotels in Mammoth Lakes
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Great location for the slopes. Not for the town”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Mammoth Mountain Inn is ideally located at the bottom of Mammoth's main gondola. And if you are skiing, snowboarding or mountain biking, it's a location that simply cannot be beaten. The staff are great, friendly, helpful and efficient.

The hotel itself though is slightly tired. And my room, out back in the annex was not as nice as ones in the main building that I glimpsed as I walked past at cleaning time. The room was a decent size, but the decor was shabby, and the bathroom was small. The hallway carpets were not terribly clean. The vending machines were sold out of every product line for the duration of my stay. There was no air conditioning and it became oppressively stuffy during the night. Opening the window did the trick in August, but in mid-winter it might represent a challenge.

The hotel has good facilities, a great bar with a good selection of craft beers, a fabulous view of the mountain, and a great bar-keeper. There is a decent restaurant, a selection of free to borrow DVDs for the DVD player in each room.

The pool area and spa are very good. But annoyingly, the hotel charges a "resort fee" that was not mentioned prominently enough for my liking on Expedia, and which offers very little of value to the average guest. For me as a hike-in, the free shuttle to/from the town was welcome, but it stopped too early to enable me to have a night on the town without paying taxi fairs to get back.

There's a pretty decent lobby shop, which sells pastries and coffee. But very poor signage made it impossible to tell what they actually sold, or what any of it cost. When I arrived the table by the entryway was full of plastic glasses of lemonade - but there was nothing so say whether they were for sale, or complementary. There is coffee in jugs out front of the counter - with no instructions or prices, and a more impressive set of coffee machines behind the counter - but with no menu or prices. I wanted to buy, but didn't want the hassle of having to ask about everything they sold, so I shopped elsewhere.

As a hike in, I didn't have my iPhone with me, but there is a small (2 machine) business centre, but the machines are ancient and underpowered, and the web browser so old it will not support many modern email and collaboration websites. I had to register with, and use services that I do not normally use to be able to contact the outside world. You'll probably be able to make use of the free lobby WiFi.

Mammoth Mountain Inn needs a refurb. It needs to drop the resort fee. It's operating in a competitive market with lots of alternatives, and all it has over most of them is its excellent location.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
jettelarsen, General Manager at Mammoth Mountain Inn, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear DoctorDee69

Thank you so much for all your great comments and observations - I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your input. It is great to have another set of eyes looking at the hotel.

Please know that we will be making progress based on all your time and care.

Jette Larsen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed for one night. First impressions were that the rooms were very sparse but in a very Scandinavian "no clutter" way. I really liked it, but someone who likes fancy cushions and furnishing might not! The hallways did seem a bit shabby but that bothered me not a jot; I'm not sleeping in the hallways after all!

We didn't have any problems with air conditioning as we stayed in September when the temperatures are perfect and no heating/cooling is needed, so I can't comment on the quality of that.

The bedrooms and bathrooms were of a decent size with plenty of towels and toiletries.

We dined in the bar from the evening menu. Portions were of a decent size and we all enjoyed our food bar my partner who found the veggie curry to be too heavy.

The kitchenette was well-stocked with pots, glasses etc.

We really stayed here for the location, and in the morning enjoyed a gondola trip to the top of the mountain. The staff on that were all very nice, bar the man who sold us our (not cheap) tickets who didn't do please or thank you. The trip itself was great, with spectacular views from the top. The visitor centre at the top has great information if you are at all interested in geology and the formation of the mountains.

We walked from halfway down the mountain to the resort area, and loved it. My partner and I aren't experienced hikers and managed well enough.

Overall, I would recommend.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear S.R.

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. I am really glad that you liked our hotel - it means a lot.

Look forward to seeing you soon.

Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

We stayed for two nights and were very disappointed with the decor of the room which badly needs an upgrade. The rooms were large but the bathroom very tiny. There were good kitchen facilities in our room however.We sweltered as there was no air conditioning and we were on the third floor. We asked for a fan for our bedroom. The carpets throughout are old,dirty and ripped.We arrived late and had a meal in the bar upstairs. The bar man and waitress were aloof and not interested and the food was very average. They logged a 15 percent tip on the meal which was very disappointing. On the positive the pool area and spa was good and the outlook of same. The front office worker, Harriet was wonderful and answered all our questions. This accommodation is in a great location but badly needs a total refurbishment of its facilities.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade for a larger room
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
jettelarsen, General Manager at Mammoth Mountain Inn, responded to this review, September 22, 2012
Dear julie5161

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. Please rest assured that I have addressed your concerns with the appropriate department heads. Also know that we are working on getting new carpet.

Leeds
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

We stayed for one night in between Yosemite and Las Vegas. The location is stunning and the hotel was nice. Our room was an ok size, very comfortable bed. Tiny bathroom (sink outside in room) but it was fine for one night. Spotlessly clean. Patio window onto a concrete hard standing, not very picturesque and the window was filthy on the outside.The hotel itself was nearly empty with the bar area the only place on the whole mountain that was open. So if you want a choice I would suggest staying down the mountain when it's out of season. Luckily, the food was good and the beer was quality. :-D

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
jettelarsen, General Manager at Mammoth Mountain Inn, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Dear boo_87

Thank you for your feedback - we will definately work on the outside windows in your room.

I will pass on the rest of the feedback to our staff - they will be delighted that you liked the food and found the room clean.

UT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

We booked the "Luxury 2 bdrm condo w/loft" for a wedding last week. The Main Lodge lobby seemed new & pretty so I was a little shocked when I got to our condo at the Yodler Haus wing. The carpet in the hallway was dreadful & ripped up. The elevator was tiny & carpeted (even on the walls) & it smelled really awful. They should probably just rip out all the carpeting since it probably gets destroyed from the ski season. I pretty much just took the stairs the rest of the time I was there. First impression of the condo was that it was really musty & a little dated. Didn't know there wouldn't be AC but front desk provided portable fans for us which was nice. After the place aired out a bit, it wasn't bad. Just needed a new paint job & more modern furniture in the living room. Beds/pillows were big & comfortable, large closets, & the place was clean. Price was right too for a family of 9. Booked it online & resort fee was clearly listed so I wasn't surprised at all like other reviewers. Shuttle to Devil's Postpile was convenient. Attended wedding reception at the Parallax Restaurant which was a gondola ride up the mountain across from the Inn. Food was seriously delicious & staff/service was absolutely superb--best I've experienced in a while & it really made our trip! My only complaint is that the "wedding coordinator" ,whose name badge actually says "sales consultant", did not really know how to do her job, wasn't friendly, & was less than helpful on more than 1 occasion (think her name was Megan??) So if you plan on having a wedding & reception there, ask for a different coordinator.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
jettelarsen, General Manager at Mammoth Mountain Inn, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear Vacaster

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. Please rest assured that we have addressed the details with the appropriate department heads.

Hannover, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We stayed at Mammoth Mountain Inn one night on August 3rd on our way to Yosemite National Park: Smallest room ever (mainly the two double beds filled in the room ), mold in the bathroom and poor appearance of the whole East Wing where our room was situated. We asked at the front desk for an alternative, but there was none. As it was just for one night, we lived with it but would definetely never stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Karin B

I am so sorry you were not happy with your room - we will definately look into this issue.

Thank you for letting us know.

Riverside, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

We stayed here for New Years Eve and it was very nice place to be. In the hotel they had a live band playing. It was an awesome night. We danced and partied. It was kid and family friendly. They gave free champagne as we all toast each there and brought in the new year. The hotel is located right on the chair lift. You basically walk out the door and across the parking lot is the chair lift. It is very close to everything. They provided a shuttle which took us down to the villages and also from the other chair lifts back to the hotel. I would most definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear NikNak2012

Thank you so much for your kind words - our staff will be delighted. I look forward to seeing you this New Years Eve.

Jette Larsen

Been to Mammoth Mountain Inn? Share your experiences!