“Best snow conditions, best ski school for kids and adults” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 24 Activities in Mammoth Lakes
Type: Sports
Activities: Skiing, Snowboarding, Fishing
More attraction details
Owner description: A variety of late spring and early summer terrain is available for first-time beginners and double diamond pursuers.
Pasadena, California, United States
8 attraction reviews
“Best snow conditions, best ski school for kids and adults”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We took the kids to ski over MLK 2013, and we all had an amazing time. The mountain and the village are beautiful places.

Everyone at the Main Lodge from the ski rental to the ski school instructors provided wonderful help. But the customer service was uneven and disappointing at the hotels and restaurants. This review will focus on the ski school since my daughter and I both spent a lot of time with the ski school.

First, I have to dispel the other negative reviews saying that the ski school lets kids ride alone on the chairlifts. From my five days of skiing there, I have never seen any child sit on the lifts alone. I've shared the chairlifts on more than one occasion with a kid when the teacher or coach asks me or another adult to share the chairlift with a solo kid. The instructors from Mammoth Kids, the children's ski school, keep diligent watch over each kid, even when the class size is large.

My daughter spent five days in full-day ski school with Mammoth Kids. She is not an especially athletic kid and learned a ton from her instructors. She went from barely putting on her own skis on the first day to skiing black diamond runs on the fourth day. She loved each instructor she had, who all taught her new techniques as she rapidly advanced under their expert instruction. On several days when she was the most advanced student in the group, she had her own teacher. The school didn't just keep her with the beginners but gave her a private instructor for most of the day.

This considerate and personal attention to the students' needs was also seen for the adult ski school. My adult beginner classes often had two instructors for five students. They divided up the students also according to the students' level and need. One student who needed a lot of attention since she was very tentative got her own instructor to ensure her safety. I took multiple ski lessons from the Tahoe and Yosemite ski resorts but never learned more than a basic wedge. The instructors at Mammoth taught this fortysomething, beginner skier recovering from a broken ankle how to parallel turn. I considered their instruction almost a miracle. I have never enjoyed skiing so much until I learned proper form and biomechanics from the Mammoth ski instructors.

Overall, the excellent snow and ski resort facilities combined with the outstanding ski instructors make Mammoth the best mountain for both adults and kids learning to ski. For the experts, there are plenty of black diamond runs to give you your adrenaline rush. As a long-time CA resident, I've been to many Tahoe ski resorts and to Badger Pass at Yosemite, but I will only be coming to Mammoth with my family for the best instructors and skiing.

San Diego, California
15 attraction reviews
“love the town and the resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

pretty expensive and like a zoo during holidays, other than those it's perfect! love both the little town and the remoteness feeling of it and the resort is very wide and the wind brings fresh snow most of times..

Visited January 2013
“Greatest boarding in our lives!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

The amount of lifts alone make the mountain an amazing value for the lift tix. Buy the three day pass if u intend on staying a while, your gonna have to in order to try all the runs. You get a really good discount for the three day tix. Every staff member whether busy or not made time to say hello and ask how we were doing on the mountain. They had multiple guides stationed at the various oversized maps to help navigate your way down the mountain. The assisted skier program was a sight to see. There were so many assistants out on the slopes helping and guiding thier respective disabled students that it was clear mammoth makes it a point to ensure everyone of any capability, mental or physical would be able to enjoy the besutiful mountain and what it had to offer. It was great seeing an organization with its members all on the same path of offering an amazing experience on the mountain!

Central CA coast
8 attraction reviews
“Excellent Ski Mountain”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

This mountain has any kind of skiing anyone could want; steep(VERY), trees, open bowls, chutes, LOTS of blue and green runs. Two chair lift rides will get you to almost anyplace on the mountain with most now being high speed detachable chairs. Not many lift lines anymore, because of the high speed chairs, but you can go up to the top of the mountain to get away from crowds. I don't ski in the terrain parks but there are at least 2 top quality ones. Eating on the mountain is expensive but there are a lot of good choices.

I have skied Europe, South America, Canada, our Rockies, etc., and Mammoth Mountain is still my favorite.

san diego
13 attraction reviews
“Snowmobile Fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We took the double snowmobiles out with our family. It was so much fun. We drove for over 10 miles through beautiful wooded areas and open fields. It was breathtakingly beautiful. The guide was great at making sure we were safe and stayed together. The snowmobile exhaust was stinky. I wish we could have smelled the fresh air instead. We had an awesome time!