“Excellent!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Bethlehem
Germantown, Wisconsin
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

My family of 5 stayed here the night of June 3rd on our way from Gettysburg, PA to New Jersey. The room was very clean and fresh. The beds were very comfortable. It was helpful to have the sofa bed for our youngest.

We used the pool and the fitness center and both were also very clean and the exercise equipment was new and in good condition. My whole family loved the breakfast offerings, especially the pancakes!

I would recommend this hotel for any family. It was by far the best hotel we stayed at during our vacation.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
kimberlyjones, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Bethlehem, responded to this review, June 16, 2011
Thank you for your kind words about the hotel and staff.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Arlington, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2011

We had a long-planned trip to Bethlehem to visit the Peeps factory. The CEO of Just Born, the company that makes Peeps, had invited my seven-year-old daughter and her two best friends to take a personally guided tour of the production line. I booked a room several months in advance for the Sunday before our Peeps visit, which happened to be the day after Easter.

A few days before our arrival, I received a frantically apologetic email from the CEO of Peeps explaining that it just occurred to him that the factory is traditionally closed the day after Easter. He was beside himself in embarrassment. "Is there any way you guys could come a few days later?" he wrote. We assured him that he could relax, we'd change our arrival date and come a few days later. The girls had been waiting all winter for this trip, so what's six days, right?

I cancelled our reservation and promptly made another one for the following Monday. Did I realize that I was canceling a non-refundable room at the time? Of course not. I do now. But what pisses me off is how rigid Kimberly Jones was when I called to ask about the double billing. Sometimes in life things happen. In this case, in my effort to make sure I wasn't going to let down three young girls who were so excited to visit Bethlehem and the Peeps factory, I didn't read the fine print. My bad. But given the circumstances, and given the fact that we ended up staying at this very hotel less than a week later, and given that I took the time as a customer to call and explain what had happened, one would think that the Holiday Inn Express could be a bit forgiving. Sometimes customers make mistakes.

In the end, Ms. Jones gets her $144 twice. And she ensures we'll never stay in a Holiday Inn Express again, something we've done plenty of in the past. She also ensures that I will alert the wonderful folks at Peeps to make any of their guests aware that there are other places to stay in Bethlehem. (Maybe that's the reason the HIE is only #14 in a tiny town.) And she further ensures that I write a nice little note to the good folks at IHG explaining how her rigidity has cost their entire chain a good and loyal customer, all over a measly $144. Way to go, Kim.

To recap, it's not the fine print I'm debating here. I should have checked better. It's that Kimberly Jones could listen to a customer who actually ended up staying in her hotel a week later than planned, could listen to my explanation about the last minute hiccup in our factory tour, and still not give a hoot.

Room Tip: book another hotel.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
kimberlyjones, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Bethlehem, responded to this review, June 2, 2011
I am very sorry you encountered a charge for an Advance Purchase reservation with a no flexibility cancellation policy. Please know that not all rates available have a non flexible cancellation policy. For future reservation please be sure to read all terms and conditions with the specific rate that you reserve. Again, I am very sorry for any inconvenience this did cause you.
Vienna, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2011

This hotel met all expections. It was clean and comfortable. The wireless worked great. The breakfast was very good and they have a really cool automated pancake machine! There was a pool - we didn't use it. We stayed overnight to visit Lehigh the next day and it was very convenient.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
happygirl75, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Bethlehem, responded to this review, May 11, 2011
Thank you very much for your nice comments on the hotel.
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

A clean and relatively new Holiday Inn located basically between Lehigh University in Allentown and Lafayette College in Easton. Free better than the usual Holiday Inn hot breakfast with a fascinating automated pancake machine as opposed to the waffle machines you might have used at the Staybridge Suites before. Critical amenities include free wireless and an indoor pool. The new Sands casino is not far away. One of the better Holiday Inns.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for the positive feedback you have given the hotel. I'm happy to see our location was perfect for your college visitations. We look forward to seeing you again.
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2011

My daughter and I stayed here last month on our five-day college tour. We had already toured four colleges in three days, and had discovered that we were pushing ourselves a bit too much with this schedule. But the no hassle check-in here helped us relax. We had signed up as Priority Club members on a vacation several years back, and were rewarded with a nice snack package when we checked in.

My daughter loved seeing the Waffle House next door, since she for some reason had always wanted to eat at one. It was nice to have a relaxing (and inexpensive) dinner over there after several days on the road.

We had a room that faced the interstate, but were not bothered by the noise. I ate at the free breakfast downstairs the next morning, but brought some pastries up to the room for my daughter before we headed off to Lehigh. All-in-all, we had a relaxing time in this hotel, which was all that we asked for.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write some very nice comments on our hotel. It is very much appreciated.
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2011

I booked a reservation here to visit family over Christmas. I was stuck in another state due to the snow storm so I cancelled the reservation BEFORE the required time so that we would not be penalized.

When I looked at my credit card statement I was still charged for the stay. I contacted the hotel immediately and they say we didn't cancel the reservation so they had to charge us. They continued to argue that it was a no show and that it was booked under my husband's name. I looked on his account (since Holiday Inn won't allow you to have one account, we have 2 separate accounts in case only one of us is traveling)...no reservation shows up so I don't know what they are talking about.

The GM tried to tell me the hotel was booked solid, but I know this isn't true because we thought about trying to make the trip anyway so looked on the web to see if there were still rooms available on the web and they showed availability and when I called the front desk to verify and they still had rooms.

Just beware when you book a reservation that might need to be cancelled - the General Manager WILL NOT HELP you in any way! Seems like a shady hotel considering the other reviews. I definitely won't be staying at ANY Holiday Inn's again if this GM is any indication of the customer care of Holiday Inn Brands.

• Stayed December 2010
happygirl75, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Bethlehem, responded to this review, March 8, 2011
Dear Guest,

We apologize for the inconvenience. However, after careful consideration and working with the Better Business Bureau, we have determined that the guestroom was never cancelled as there was no cancellation number provided when spoken to the hotel's manager. We, at The Holiday inn Express & Suites, take each reservation and cancellation care. If a cancellation number was provided by the guest, we would have gladly cancelled the reservation and refunded your credit card. We hope in the future you do stay with us!

Management
yonkers, ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2010

My friends and I stayed in this hotel overnight on a shopping/casino trip. It is a nice hotel and the room was very clean and the staff was very friendly. We made use of the free shuttle service which took us to and from the casino. The shuttle runs until 11pm at night. As a Priority Club Member I was offered a late checkout, which was the first time I had ever been offered that service without having to ask for it. The pool is on the small side but all the pools are in these type of hotels. It serves it's purpose. The free breakfast was not the best I ever had. To give the hotel staff their fair shake, the hotel was fully booked and there was an entire flock of kids from a Lacrosse Tournament staying there so the breakfast area was swamped. But the eggs/omelettes were being brought out cold and they were either out of alot of things or didn't have them that other Holiday Inn Express hotels normally have at their Breakfast bar. There isn;t much around the area of the hotel, except a Waffle House right next door which is what we had after we came back from the casino. It was pretty darn good or we were starved, not sure haha We didnt eat at the casino because the prices were very high. If you are going to be in the Bethlehem area, this hotel is a good choice

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
happygirl75, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Bethlehem, responded to this review, March 16, 2011
Thank you for the compliments on the hotel staff. it's great to hear you took advantage of the free shuttle service to the casino and the late check out that we offer. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Bethlehem, PA.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Bethlehem? Share your experiences!