“Great place to stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Bethlehem
New York City, New York
“Great place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

Great hotel - probably your best option in the Bethlehem / Allentown area. Some of the strong points:

-Grand ambiance / wonderful common spaces. It's in an old building with great ambiance (but modern facilities / amenities)
-They don't nickel-and-dime you on amenities (free water in rooms, free wifi, etc.)
-Staff is very friendly and attentic
-Rooms are well-appointed and are warm / have personality, unlike some chain hotels
-Central location right on main street close to shops / restaurants

Gripes:
-The standard queen rooms are pretty small. If you decide to stay here, spring for the executive king room, which is considerably bigger (almost 2x the size) and only $20 more per night when I booked.
-No quick / on the go breakfast options

Overall though, had a great stay. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Spring a little extra for the executive king room - it's much bigger, and usually not that much...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Sean L, Manager at Historic Hotel Bethlehem, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Hi SandroP,

Thank you for sharing your experience! We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate all of your feedback. Being a Historic Hotel we do have a few rooms that are smaller than the typical hotel room, however like you mentioned we do have suites available that would offer some additional space. We also offer a 10 minute breakfast option in the Tap Room for those guests on the go in addition to 24 room service.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Scranton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

What a gorgeous place! We went for a cousins weekend and did we choose the right place! The lobby is beautiful and what a way to relax. Tensions were released as we toasted at the bar there. Everyone was kind and courteous. Our rooms were spacious and comfortable. Breakfast on Sunday morning was delightful! The hotel location was within walking distance to all shops and restaurants. They also provided a free shuttle to the Sands Casino! Would highly recommend the Hotel Bethlehem!

• Stayed May 2013
Hi William H,

Thank you for sharing your experience. We are delighted that you chose the Hotel for your cousins’ weekend. The lobby is the perfect place to get together with friends and family to unwind and relax. We are fortunate to located in the heart of Historic Bethlehem. As you mentioned we are within walking distance to several shops and museums.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We look forward to seeing you all again!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

on Valentine's day, I stayed at the charming Historic Hotel Bethlehem with my grandfather and my sister. I enjoyed reading & having a coffee in the lobby once in a while, but other than that, I couldn't find MUCH to do inside the main building. the Hotel was clean, so I didn't worry about sitting on a peanut-butter jelly sandwich or anything. The rooms were pretty small, but well maintained (I liked those little candies on the wardrobe), the service was excellent, and the food at both restaurants was delightful. The property offered 24-hour room service, but for dinner, I went to the "1741 on the terrace" restaurant. The waits can be long, but it's worth the wait, because when the delicacy of dishes came to my table, nothing stopped me from enjoying a 14-oz steak, and this pork appetizer (I forget the name, which is unusual for me). for breakfast, I enjoyed some coffee at the Tap room, and got 2 items on the menu. I'm not a business traveler (yet), but usually, I give myself a little tour of the hotel, and let me say, I recommend Hotel Bethlehem for every business traveler (even the stingiest ones), and overall, I enjoyed my stay at the Hotel Bethlehem.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Hi Ethan L,

Thank you to you and your family for choosing to stay with us during your trip to Bethlehem. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you were able to join us in both restaurants. Our Executive Chef sources our meats and produce locally to ensure only the freshest ingredients are served to our guests. You may not be a business traveler yet but it sounds like you are well on your way!

Thank you again! We hope to see you all soon…
Quakertown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

I cannot speak highly enough of our first experience with Hotel Bethlehem and it's staff

After a big mix up with booking on the part of Expedia, the whole staff of the Hotel went out of their way to make my boyfriend and I feel welcome and spoiled.

We were staying the night for our anniversary on Valentine's day. Not only did they save us the last available regular room on a busy weekend but they upgraded us for free to the presidential suite! We couldn't believe how big the room was! I kept waiting for someone to realize they had made a mistake and throw us out! LOL.

We had the best Valentine's/Anniversary evening we have ever had. Friendly and classy servers at the bar took care of us with pre dinner drinks, the girls at the front desk made sure we had everything we needed and found our way around. We went out for dinner and came back to find the champagne and strawberries I had ordered safely tucked in the fridge. When late night munchies hit us the room service staff was gracious and the food was superb.

Comfortable beds, a clean and beautiful room, and a friendly smile at every turn. We will definitely visit again and recommend this wonderful hotel to anyone.

Thank you again, to everyone on the Hotel Bethlehem staff, for making our anniversary one to remember!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Sean L, Manager at Historic Hotel Bethlehem, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Hi Janet K,

Happy Anniversary! I am happy to hear that we were able to accommodate you after the mix up with your reservation. The Presidential Suite is a fantastic room with beautiful views of Main St, Historic Moravian Bethlehem, and the Bethlehem Star on South Mountain. I am pleased that you were able to experience it. We are very fortunate to have a staff that enjoys what they do and goes the extra mile for our guests. You never know when a late night craving may hit, that is why we offer 24 hour room service for times just like that and our chocolate covered strawberries are prepared fresh by our Pastry Chef.

Thank you for spending your Anniversary with us! We look forward to welcoming you back!
Massapequa, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

My wife and I just spent 2 fantastic nights at this hotel on Presidents Day Weekend. We only booked this weekend about 2 weeks before and were very fortunate to be able to get the last room available, which just so happened to be a handicapped accessible room. We are not in need of such a room and I insisted that I wouldn't want to take this room away from someone who would truly need it but I was told there would be no such issue. So, upon arrival we were greeted outside by a very cold, but nice parking attendant who asked if we needed any help with our luggage and if not he told us where we could park our car. After a short walk to to reception desk, I asked the desk clerk if there were any cancellations so we didn't have to take the handicap room and she told me that because of our concern over not needing this type of room, her general manager has decided to give us a complimentary upgrade to the Governors suite and 2 free drink coupons. Wow. We have traveled extensively all over the world and have been upgraded numerous times, however, never to anything quite like this. The suite was furnished with a dining room, which we didn't use because of the fine restaurant they have on site, (see my review of The Tap Room) a full size living room with sofa, 2 reclining chairs and a separate bedroom and bathroom about as big as I have ever seen. And the best to all of this. The cost of all of this was $449.98 plus tax of course, for the 2 nights which included 2 breakfasts and dinner one night. So, I can't speak any more highly about our experience here. We never encountered any member of the staff who wasn't above being nice and of the utmost professionalism. Everyone seems to truly enjoy working there, which lately we seem to find is not very common these days. Thanks again to everyone at this fine hotel. It was a very nice way to spend Valentines Day and our wedding anniversary, which just so happens to be the day after. We try to travel every year to celebrate this very special weekend in our lives, and I am already thinking about next year and the Hotel Bethlehem.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi Nunzlux,

Happy Anniversary! Thank you for choosing to spend such a special occasion with us. I am pleased to hear that we were able to upgrade you to our Governor Suite upon your arrival. It is a beautiful room with breathtaking views of Bethlehem. Thank you for mentioning our staff they take great pride in everything they do and it truly shows. They always work toward exceeding our guests expectations.

Thank you! We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon!
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

We were visiting family and friends in Bethlehem and stayed at the Hotel Bethlehem. We had a marvelous experience from the moment we walked thriough the door. Everyone was so friendly and professional, from the Bellmen/Valet to the front desk staff to the piano player in the restaurant. My wife attended an event in the restaurant on Saturday afternoon and thought it so amazing that even though we had (hard-to-obtain) reservations at a new downtown restaurant we decided to stay in and entertain our friends at the restaurant, 1741 on the Terrace, that night where the food, service and ambiance was absolutely fantastic. The corner room we stayed in was exceptional as well, quite large with a sitting area, writing desk and a very comfortable bed, complete with exceptional bedding. We travel quite a bit and feel confident in saying that this historic hotel is a fine place to stay and we would highly recommend it to anyone visiting Bethhelem.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Hi MICHAEL A,

We are happy to hear that you and your wife enjoyed your stay. It is our goal to ensure that each and every guest has a wonderful and unique experience. It is good to know that we did just that. We would also like to thank you for choosing to dine with us in 1741 on the Terrace. It really is a one of a kind dining experience. We recently returned that room back to its original solarium design. Our Suites offer a larger floor plan and beautiful views of Bethlehem.

Thank you again for staying with us! We hope to see you soon…
Belleville, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

My husband and I spent a long weekend at Hotel Bethlehem this past weekend while in town for a family shower. I must say we were quit impressed by the hotel's ambiance, convenient location and friendly staff. The food and cocktails were superb only to be outdone by the excellent piano music provided at dinner on Saturday night, at the shower on Saturday and in the open lounge area. The rooms were well appointed and the updated down bedding was superb. We also enjoyed using our Keurig in our room for our morning coffee and tea. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Hi Colleen D,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are pleased to hear that you and your husband enjoyed everything about your stay and the shower that you were in town for. We have entertainment in the Hotel Wednesday – Sunday. We appreciate the feedback on the bedding and the Keurig. It is great to know that our guests enjoy them.

Thank you again! We hope to welcome you back soon…

Been to Historic Hotel Bethlehem? Share your experiences!