“A desert gem” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Amargosa Opera House and Hotel

You added Amargosa Opera House and Hotel to your Saves list
Amargosa Opera House and Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   HR-C 608 Death Valley Junction, Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park, CA 92328   |
Camas, Washington
“A desert gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

My experience at the Hotel is about 20 yrs old, fair warning. I first saw it in the '91 movie Delusion and was intrigued by the lonely location in the desert. (I love the deserts of the Southwest.) I finally made it to Death Valley Junction in the early/mid '90's on a road trip from Hwy 395 to Vegas, and got a room. At the time, only about 5 rooms were habitable, and the others were in various states of rehabilitation or just dilapidated and unused. I didn't know at the time about the rumors of the hotel being haunted, and I didn't have any related run-ins during my overnight stay.

I wasn't able to dine at the cafe since I was gone on a day trip until late, but the minimal wait staff (who doubled as hotel reception) were friendly and made me feel welcome. My room was simple, clean and quaint, and since I'm into vintage, retro and just plain historic, I wasn't bothered by decades-old stucco. I did wander out into the inner hall later in the evening and was struck by how dang quiet it was, but then, I might have been one of the very few guests staying there that evening. My lodging at the time was about $35, a downright steal in today's market. I was struck by the zen austerity of the locale and strayed outside to take more than a few pix of the entrance, main bldg and opera house, both in the afternoon light and later in the evening. (I'll dig up the pix someday and add them here.)

I regretted missing a performance by Marta, and sad to hear that she's finally hung up her pointe shoes. (I did chance to see her chatting with others in the parking area.) She was probably one of the main tourist draws, and I hope that the hotel continues to flourish. (See the documentary "Amargosa," if you can.) It's in a very remote location, but wouldn't it be great if a school dance troupe took the opera house on as a unique (seasonal) opportunity to carry on the tradition? Just a thought.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank rustypup49

Big Bear Region, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

This property is well kept and very pretty. The size is overwhelming. There is a restaurant onsite so no need to go anywhere. Everything you need is right there.

This is a beautifully well kept piece of history that is not be missed. If you go there expecting 5 star, you're gonna be very disappointed. It's clean, it's comfortable and the most amazing thing about this property is the staff. They go out of their way to make you comfortable.

But the most amazing thing about Amargosa is that it's haunted. Not every part of it, just the area that is not renovated. If you enjoy ghost hunting, this is the place!

Peaceful, relaxing and quiet sums up our experience and we'll go again and again! Thank you for such a great experience.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank Aristacah
Lakewood, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

First, the facts
1. The dates of my stay were Jan 7, 2014 through Jan 20, 2014.
2. My name is Laneita from Lakewood CO; I'm 65, married, and have two dogs.
3. I'm an artist housewife;

This was my third stay at the Amargosa. After my second stay, I had felt drawn to come back and paint for two weeks. But, of course, when I got home, the home world kicked in, and the idea faded away. This was 4 years ago.

Through a series of "synchronicities" (aka "the grace of God"), the idea of returning there and painting for two weeks came to me with a force. My opinion is that these synchronicities are the effect of Marta's influence on me. Her willingness and courage to listen to her creative voice encourages me to listen to my creative voice, too.

Here's my first impression: Rather than feeling like I was staying in a hotel, I felt like I was a temporary member of a community. I was solo, and so, of course, I was a bit nervous. The people running the hotel, as well as the people running the restaurant were warm and friendly and helpful. For instance, Amy, who works at the restaurant, was always willing to share stories about the history of Amargosa. (Amy has known Marta since she was 8; and she's a walking/talking history book of Amargosa. She knew Tom Willet (Marta's partner on the stage, and town maintenance man ("Will get")), and she said that he was every bit as much a character off the stage as on the stage.)

There's something about the Armagosa that is difficult to put into words. You have to see for yourself how Marta has brought beauty and artistry to this place. The opera house should be a candidate for one of the wonders of the world. This place is like a living history book. You can almost walk back into history. While sitting outdoors in the Colonnade, it was like going back in time. There is a lot of rich history about the hotel, the Borax mine, Zane Grey's visit that led to him writing a magazine article, which in turn prompted the Pacific Coast Borax Mining Company to build the Amargosa Hotel which provided the miners and their families with better living conditions.

Marta has taken an abandoned property and given it a facelift. If you think you're going to the Ritz, or even Motel 6 (in terms of modern facilities), then you'll be disappointed. Everything worked fine ... that's the main thing. I didn't come to this place for luxury, or to be pampered. There are plenty of places that offer that, and plenty of times when I want to go to those places, too. But what this place gives you is something that you cannot find at very places: atmosphere, history, and a view into the way life used to be. As it has been said by others, "It's like another world."

My wish for this place in the future is that it become a spiritual and artists retreat and center.

Laneita

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
11 Thank LaneitaCox
Gainesville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

I found this hotel and town charming, historically and artistically valuable, and unique. If you take ANY time to delve into the surroundings and talk to the staff, you will be shown a town that stands proud against the ravages of time, abandonment, seasonal flooding, and more. The hotel is nearly 100 years old and is run as a non profit corporation. You do the math. If you have an issue with the sulfur scent throughout the structures, then you shouldn't even come to death valley. The whole desert is alkaline! Duh!
Look, we all have the right to express our opinions but reading some of these previous comments I get personally offended. If you are just looking for a cheap stop on your way to death valley, then yeah... the hotel is NOT for you. But if do your homework ahead of time, you know what to expect and you'll find yourself in a serene, humble environment.

A traveler looking to enjoy life's exquisitely random adventures SHOULD visit the amargosa opera house and hotel!

Room Tip: one side of the hotel opens up to the colonnade, the other side shows the vast fields behind the pro...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
7 Thank Jennifer F
AmargosaOperaHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Amargosa Opera House and Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Dear Jennifer,
Thank you for your kind review of the Amargosa Opera House and Hotel. We are delighted you enjoyed your time learning about Death Valley Junction's rich history. We look forward to your next stay!
North Adams, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

Strong sewer smell in hallway. Dirty sheets. Ancient plug-in heater in room. Not a surface that was not badly scarred or broken (tile). Wi-Fi available only in lobby but too slow to be of any use. Do not go there ever!! We left and spent the night in Pahrump, NV, 30 minutes away.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
3 Thank Stephen L

Travelers are raving about these Death Valley Junction hotels

Auckland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

Just visit the opera house and hotel foyer but stay somewhere else. The hallway sinks of sewerage and shower is terrible and bathroom smelly. I love historical places but this is not sold honestly. They add a service charge on top which I have not found anywhere else so our $75 room became $90. In fact booking.com had the wrong service charge rate and so they admitted I was overcharged despite the girl on the desk telling me I did the maths wrong. Despite complaining about the state of the place they would make no reduction. I really hope this place survives but they must charge less drop the service charge and be honest about the state of the place and say they need guests so they can do it up slowly.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
San Jose, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

If you enjoy spending your vacation at fixer-upper which smells like a dirty public restroom - this place is for you. The furniture in the room would not be accepted even for donation. The curtains left an open space, so it was impossible to undress with the light turned on. The AC didn't work, and we had a heater, which was so noisy that we couldn't have it working at night. The result - it was freezing. No additional blanket. Only 2 hangers. No TV, only one wall outlet, no table, WiFi - only in the lobby, no cell phone service. There is no place to put shaving or washing things.

This place was never renewed outside or inside. The hotel and the café are extremely overpriced. Overall feeling - disgusting.

One thing makes us happy. As a result of the poor management of our booking, in spite of the received confirmation, there was only one night available, and we didn't have to stick there for 3 nights, as was planned.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Preferred RV Resort
Preferred RV Resort
#2 of 5 in Pahrump
5.0 of 5 stars 5 reviews

Been to Amargosa Opera House and Hotel? Share your experiences!