“More than one would expect” 5 of 5 stars

Type: National Parks
Attraction Details
Belfair, Washington, United States
15 attraction reviews
“More than one would expect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2014 NEW

My wife and I first went to Death Valley on a coastal road trip back in 2007. We passed through in June and just about melted. Not the time to go but we were so impressed we made plans to return the following winter along with our trip to Vegas. Trust me, winter is the only time to go to be able to enjoy yourself. We thoroughly enjoyed it and I highly recommend anyone planning to go there to spend a minimum of two days. It's a big place and it takes that long to drive the park and stop a bit along the way. Like most national parks, the only way to truly appreciate them is to use your feet and spend some time. I'd go back in a heartbeat if not for all the other things my wife and I want to see before we can no longer travel. It really is a great place to visit and I highly recommend it. We last visited in February 2008. Oh, make sure your camera battery is fully charged.

Visited February 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
30 attraction reviews
“One of the wonders of the world”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2014 NEW

As a geography teacher I have been fascinated by our planet, here we had the chance to go from 4000 feet above sea level to 200 feet below.
Picture do not do it justice and the heat is extreme, it all adds to the experience. Plan time to stop and take in the sights.
We were travelling from Las Vegas to Bishop on the way to Tahoe.

New Jersey
4 attraction reviews
“Pleasantly surprised”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2014 NEW

Had a day to drive through & experience this Park. First of all, it is hot so be prepared with enough water & a car that can handle heat & mountains (we saw a couple of breakdowns when it was midday and over 110 degrees out). Then be prepared to be amazed.

Las Vegas, Nevada
46 attraction reviews
“Some Like it Hot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2014 NEW

The first thing new visitors must know is that Death Valley is big, very big, about 140 miles north to south in fact, and to cross it east to west you must cross 4 distinct mountain ranges. - The Armargosa Range; the Black Mountains; the Panamint Range and the Argus Range.

And everyone knows it is hot in the summer!

So therefore, no single-day-drive-through, stopping only at the visitor’s center and a few of the more accessible viewpoints can give you a true sense of this place. But if that is all you have time for, or indeed if that’s all you can take of Death Valley, then go for it. It’s an interesting way to get from Las Vegas to Yosemite or beyond to the San Francisco Bay Area.

A recent trip was in October of 2012 doing just that, taking visiting friends and relatives from the UK from our home in Las Vegas to other relatives in the Bay Area, stopping over in Bishop on the way. As first time visitors to DV, they were fascinated and loved the experience, brief though it was.

My most recent trip was only yesterday, Saturday September 13 2014 with my granddaughter and her boyfriend visiting from England. They loved it too, even though the temp reached 115 at Furnace creek. The only problem was that a French film crew making a movie had taken over the Inn at Furnace creek. I had planned to show this nice resort to them, but it was closed to the public- at least on the day we were there.

I’ve spent a lot of time in Death Valley, experiencing most of what it has to offer. From several stays at Furnace Creek Inn, to solo camping at Mahogany Flat at 8,200 ft. before hiking to the summit of Telescope Peak at 11,200. It’s up to the individual what he/she wants out of their experience, either sipping Pinna Coladas by the pool at the expensive luxury of the Furnace Creek Inn, or the primitive camping with no available water at Mahogany Flats.

As for me, I can take it either way, but I know this for sure, my memories are fondest of my times in the wilderness.

For “normal” people who might just want a short hike, two of my favorites are Mosaic Canyon and Titus Canyon, and for those with a suitable vehicle (at least one with sturdy tires and a bit of clearance) my favorites are the road to Race Track Playa or the road to Marble Canyon. The Race Track is a fascinating place, worth the effort I think.

This is not the place to give detailed descriptions of routes etc. you will find lots of these on the Internet, Jim Boone of Las Vegas has a very comprehensive one. All I will say is that the road to Marble Canyon can be very sandy – it blows like snow drifts across the road sometimes, and the road to the Race Track is wash-boardy, and the rock that makes up the surface can be hard on your tires.

There are other places in Death Valley further off the black top roads, like ghost towns and abandoned mines that might appeal to you, or a working Date Farm near Death Valley Junction. And then there is the somewhat Avant Garde hot springs (clothing optional) on the long dirt road that heads North through the Saline Valley, that ends up near the town of Big Pine on Hwy 395

Don’t expect a glitzy spa here, ramshackle might describe it, interesting to some no doubt.

Northampton, Massachusetts, United States
14 attraction reviews
“Wow!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2014 NEW

Death valley has been on my bucket list for a long time! The geology is amazing, the sheer size of everything is unimaginable, and it is so much more impressive in person! We planned our route for the things we wanted to do ahead of time so that we could fit in the most in just a few days. There is no way we could see it all in one trip!