“Only there for tea....” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 Bradenton B&B and Inns
Sarasota
“Only there for tea....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

The house is lovely. The service was adequate. The food was acceptable. I have found that establishments serving tea usually have more choices and better tasting food. The property was clean and, as I said, everything was OK. I enjoyed the time with my friends. I would choose to go somewhere else next time.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Merritt Island, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

I'm still on a high from my one night stay there. I had to return to Bradenton for my divorce and wanted to treat myself to something special so decided against the typical hotel stay. I searched B&B's in Bradenton & read about the Londoner & another property in Palmetto. After comparing everything, I chose the Londoner and am so happy I did. "John", the owner, was like my own personal concierge. He anticipated my every need before I even asked. He knew my situation and gave me a complimentary suite upgrade. Everything, from the wrap around porch to all the little English details (little salt & pepper shakers that looked like red English phone booths) were so charming. I felt like I was in another place, which was very therapeutic. The complimentary breakfast blew me away. I'm one person and the spread John made for me was fit for a king/queen! Coffee, yogurt, fresh cut up fruit, scones, bacon and eggs made to order, fresh orange juice, jams and jellies, etc. John felt like family and knew I felt like talking and obliged. What a fascinating life he has had! I can't wait to bring my daughter back and have a relaxing "girls getaway", walking the River Walk, eating again at FAV's restaurant, maybe catch a show by the Manatee Players theater group (instead of seeing the judge ;).

Room Tip: I stayed in the Victoria suite. Four poster bed, beautiful dark hardwood floors, love seat, refriger...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Lakeland, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This B&B is very clean and nicely furnished, however, a little sparse in decor. Its in a nice location, where you can easily walk downtown or to the marina. Not all of the rooms have private baths within the room, so make sure you ask about this...some rooms have bathrooms that are assigned to your room, but are located across the hall and not in the room. The usual amenities that are typically associated with B&Bs, such as snacks or refreshments in the afternoon or bottled water or soda in your room, were not present. However, the breakfast well made up for any shortcomings with an amazing quiche made by the owner, lovely scones hot out of the oven, assorted fresh fruits, yogurt, and granola.

Room Tip: Antonia Suite was pretty with a private bathroom and large shower.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We wanted to like this place, but would not recommend it. Location in downtown Bradenton is near the water, but the immediate surroundings are bleak. We stayed two nights in the Victoria Suite. Greeted at the door, shown the code for the locks, our room, and were informed that they owners lived "off site". We think they should be "on site" a bit more because attention to details is what's missing here.

The door to our suite had a three-inch gap at the bottom, a shaky knob, with a large drilled open hole below that. Our 'suite' was large, but the sitting room was nearly bare, with two uncomfortable chairs on one wall and a large chest on the other. Instead of an armoir, a metal contraption similar to a clothes drying rack in one corner. The bathroom had one small towel bar only, so there was no place to hang a towel for the sink or shower. The sink faced one direction; the mirror was on a different wall. A bare light bulb for illumination. Rough-cut two by fours served as woodwork. Even the painting of the walls was badly, hastily done. Artwork? Two magazine photos of England scenes in plastic frames.
Breakfast? I can compliment the coffee and fresh fruit. Only.
There is a lot of bare wood flooring in the halls and rooms above, so there's a lot of noise.The bathrooms for other guest rooms, in the hall outside our door, had paper labels just scotch taped onto the doors.
Did I mention the empty flower pots with cigarette butts on the front porch steps? Never cleaned our whole stay.
The hosts were friendly enough - the husband especially - but gosh! Go to Home Depot and get a couple towel hooks for the bathroom and a cheap light shade, at least. Not that difficult!
We had one night with not much to do, and were actually reluctant to go back to the 'suite' to spend the evening. Don't expect the level of comfort, taste and attention to detail one expects in a really nice B&B at the Londoner.

Room Tip: Beware! Everyone bangs their heads on the low ceiling going up the stairs.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

Stayed two nights in the Kensington room. It was just right for two people that want a comfortable, clean, cozy room. It was a great value also because they serve a fantastic breakfast! The inn is also very close to downtown and the waterfront. Both are nice places to look around and enjoy this quaint town. Although it was 8 miles from the attraction we came to see, getting around is easy and required little time. Why stay in an average hotel when for the same price you can stay in a wonderful b&b? We will come back to the Londoner next time and recommend to our friends. Only one small recommendation.... The private bathroom is Very manageable but on small side.

• Stayed April 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Busy week at the inn and having only a few previous experiences at B&B's I had a very high standard from the one in Ct. to relate to. There was no "Jenny" this visit so her husband had his hands full doing it all. Frig was empty, no cups in bathroom or room, no info on what one could get in the house or not, TV was on bedside table so had to pull out table and watch from bed lying down. Small sofa was too far away and uncomfortable to watch from. No luggage rack so worked from floor. No slipper for night time visit to the bathroom down the hall. Robes provided. Dust bunnies abounded where I pulled out the TV and rest of room needed a wipe down from dust. Remaining evidence of prior guest remained in private bath. No indication as to daily fresh daily towels or save for another use and none were replaced nor bath cleaned with 3 nights there. Small bath mat was synthetic and got soaked and did not dry out. Get all cotton. No hair dryer handy, delivered when requested. Sheets were rough and when checked turned out to be cotton/percale from Pakistan but felt like muslin. Bed was comfortable, breakfast appropriate. Guess it was just too much to keep up with for one person on duty. All sounds picky but expectations are everything. also, I had the cheapest single room. other rooms more attractive. Needs a freshening up or female attention. Gets some art on the walls. 8x10 inch photos of Princess Di just tacky.

Room Tip: Peeking in at the suite with private bath, not down the hall, looked grand but so is the price tag...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

I chose this place because it is very quiet and romantic, without taking a long trip. I proposed to my beautiful girlfriend here and look forward to coming back every year. We happen to live right around the corner, but felt like we were in a different world. The service was excellent, very nice, professional people.

• Stayed March 2013

Been to The Londoner Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!