“Bugs, bugs and more bugs!!!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Marriott Courtyard Bradenton Sarasota / Riverfront

You added Marriott Courtyard Bradenton Sarasota / Riverfront to your Saves list
Marriott Courtyard Bradenton Sarasota / Riverfront
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Riverfront Dr W, Bradenton, FL 34205 (Formerly Holiday Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #8 of 21 Hotels in Bradenton
“Bugs, bugs and more bugs!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

Out of the way location but nice property with a nice pool. Woke up this morning with bugs! Not bed bugs. Roaches, sand fleas, etc. We couldn't get out of there fast enough. When we told the check out desk her reply was "we will take care of it for you!". I said Not for me, I'm leaving...for you! So much for a weekend away when you check out at 7:30am!!!

• Stayed September 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Orlando, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

The hotel is nice looking, in a great location, and has a very nice lobby. I enjoyed the convenience of the restaurant and the food was quite good. I was put into a spacious room, with sitting area and a nice view from the balcony.

However, housekeeping was terrible. The room smelled terrible when I entered. The sliding glass door had face prints and hand prints all over it. The balcony had large spots of black mold. Later in the evening I found hairs in the bathroom, and noticed the tray holding shampoo/soap was very dirty. The worst though - as I was getting into bed, I discovered blood on the mattress pad, which you could see through the sheet. Whomever made the bed had ignored the blood, and placed a sheet on top. There is no way they could not have seen it. Luckily, there was another bed in the room that I could sleep on.

I spoke with the front desk in the morning about the issues, and they assured me it would be taken care of. Unfortunately, when I returned the second evening, yes, the mattress pad had been changed, but that was it. The room had not been cleaned at all. The sink and counter were not wiped down, the beds were sloppily made, the cups/coffee mugs were not replaced, the window was still filthy, strangely - one of my shoes had been thrown or dragged to the middle of the room, and the room smelled bad again. I had even left a good cash tip, hoping they would do a good job cleaning the room this time.

I have never stayed at another other hotel with such poor housekeeping. I provided feedback after the trip via the online Marriott survey, but I have received no response. I expect much more from a Marriott, but unfortunately this hotel did not meet even minimum standards of cleanliness.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Cape Coral, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

My familly and I stayed at this Courtyard Marriott for a reasonable price and enjoyed the area. The rooms were large and very clean. It also very accessible to the area beaches. The pool and spa were well maintained. The hotel staff was very attentive. Salvatore at the front desk was particulary helpful. There are a number of great restaurants within a short drive. Parking was free which is also a plus.

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the pool, facing the river are great!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Manhattan, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for two nights prior to checking in to a condo on Anna Maria Island, based on a recommendation from our son. The hotel was in a quiet, off the street location. Free parking was ample. The lobby was inviting, pleasant to the eye, and well designed with distinct areas. One area had comfortable chairs and could be used for waiting or hanging out. Another area of the lobby was a mini media room, with a large tv and seating for a handful or so people. The Starbucks eating/lounge area was large enough for its purpose, but rather typical. A staff member led guests to check in desks--no long counter here. Also in the lobby were two public computer work areas, complete with computers for any quick look up needs. A large "go-board" computer between the elevators and check in desks was great for an at a glance update on weather, restaurants, attractions, and so forth. The pool/hot tub area was beautiful, with access through a side door of the lobby. The room itself was comfortable enough. A roll out table/desk came in very handy, as did our fridge. The fully enclosed bathroom was well lit and maintained, coming with a soft close toilet seat, which we were surprised to see away from home. We could see the Manatee River from our balcony--but the balcony was too small to even stand on. Construction on the riverwalk was ongoing, a pity. We were still able to easily walk to the Florida Museum, a few blocks away, and access the downtown area and waterfront by foot. This we took advantage of. We did have a quick bite and drink from the Starbucks area one evening. Food was okay, priced in line with usual Starbucks offerings. There was a seafood restaurant in the building behind the hotel, but we did not have a chance to check it out.

Room Tip: Ask for the "realize Bradenton" discount. Was better than some of the others we qualified...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Lehigh Acres, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

Note: I initially stayed here in 3-days ending April 2, 2012. Spring Break occurred that week so I encountered many families with kids. I wrote the first review before checking out. My last day altered my opinion enough to go thru the TripAdvisor editing process and drop my rating. My reasons are at the end of this review. I see a July review that also says construction is still underway. The following was my initial assessment while still a guest there.

Waterfront construction is still underway. My just-updated GPS asked me to make a left onto a wrong-way street while departing the motel; probably another consequence of the construction. The approach from the north (St Pete) is correct and very easy to follow.

I was surprised to see this property was formerly a Holiday Inn. I normally use the Marriot hotel brand, so this is my first “Courtyard” visit. I am assuming that my Marriott Rewards “Elite” program “Silver” status did not affect the room received or service provided except the week day free paper noy at your door but in the lobby. This “Courtyard” seems every bit as comfortable as the full-scale Marriott hotel.

I made my online reservation the same day and checked in just after 3PM. I was greeted by a general manager who handled my check-in. I have never had a registration desk person personally walk me thru the first floor amenities and demonstrate the Marriot large screen online system operated like a ‘Smart phone’ with finger actions. He saw me the next day. Greeted me by name and asked how my stay was. I candidly replied the pool was noisy even after closing at 11PM. He immediately called his security staff, demanding they check the pool area more frequently. I cannot blame this hotel for the unattended screaming kids, sometimes running the hall late at night on my floor and the sole floor above me. BTW, it is now “spring break” so families with kids are on vacation. My last negative is a flaky elevator that randomly takes me to the 5th floor even when I (once also a hotel staffer) pressed 4!

I’d be rich if I were a realtor / rental agent simply by answering my phone. I am here looking for a new home and concluded I should stay longer to actually see the listed properties. Again, the front desk staff understood ‘stuff happens’. They agreeably complied with my request that they match an online Marriott Rewards weekend rate. The result is that my full weekend cost is equal to my one-Friday night cost. There now is some bay-side weekend fest this weekend that the staff alerted me to after I asked on my way in from the parking lot where the kicking music was. Way cool!

I read some TravelAdvisor.com reviews for here complaining of difficulties with cancelations. The reservation cancelation policy at this location is quite clear. As with any hotel/ motel, you are responsible to notify by a time certain. Miss the deadline and expect to pay. Yep, just like a gas pump or restaurant, a temporary "hold" may go onto your card account if not a 'chain frequent stayer'. The bank, not the hotel controls that action. I have fired a few banks for that and grossly greedy fees.

I also agree that the bay side location is perfect. It is not on the nearby Gulf. The food is a bistro only, with "Starbucks"® branded coffee. At least the food is good and available over a reasonable time. The in-room coffee is great too. There are at least 4 nearby restaurants that specialize in either seafood, steaks or Italian. I do not believe there is a bar here, given its apparent ‘family’ orientation. Unlike my stay of last week in St. Pete, you will not find hookers and dealers on the front street. YEAH!!!

The bath is small but adequate with good quality towels, soaps, shampoos etc. The toilet seat seems to have a hydraulic device to stop slamming, way cool!!! The bed and feather pillows are ‘to die for’, well don’t. I managed an unusual 8 hours of sleep. The king bed suite is dark in the suite area but good for TV and adequate side lights for reading. The room is very large yet its sole air conditioner is at the bed end only; but seems effective unless you are next to it with your PC. The fridge is awkward to open and flimsy but cools well. Both “Sharp” flat screens are smallish with what seems to be the typical cable-quality fuzzy picture.

I discovered two more unique and nice features here in addition to the throne seat. The bedroom dresser includes a full table that rolls out for use as a PC desk. (The wireless internet is typical with 4.4 Mbps down / .69 Mbps up. Remember to go online to ensure you are registered for usage (free). It seemed slow to require that registration.). The second ‘that is nice’ feature is the switch on every lamp. The entry door switch actually turns on a light. More interesting, each lamp has an O/I button on its base, not the hard-to-find rotate switch by the lamp or dangling somewhere on the power chord.

My main-highway-facing balcony also faces a pool, hot tub and fountain. I am not hearing traffic. After 11PM, the pool quiets enough that the fountain is pleasant to hear. A pair of birds are nesting feet away so an up-close look at nature. The bay side may be preferable if you are OK with a smaller room.

Overall, this a pleasant place to stay in a very nice city. I am a retired international consultant so I long ago lost count of my number of hotel stays. I still have difficulty agreeing with others that any ‘motel’ over $100/ night is a ‘good value’, especially on my dime. I have said this in my other reviews. The price should set your expectations. This does not disappoint.

Edits: I wrote the above before checking out. My habit over my three day stay was to park my car due south of the entrance in a corner by the grass ‘bumper strip’ that isolates the property from an apartment complex. On check-out morning, I saw distinctive white residue on my black car typical of hard well water. The front desk acknowledged that it probably came from their sprinkler system and that they did not warn their customers of the consequence. They did not offer to reimburse me for a car wash they suggested as a resolution. (The nearby Blue Dolphin car wash confirmed the stains as from well water that their drive thru wash would not remove. A $43 hand wash and wax did.)

Do not expect a free breakfast. The area has several resturants.

The business office PCs will not allow your use of a thumb drive.

I comment above that I extended my stay based upon a Marriott Rewards special weekend offer. At checkout time, my bill did not reflect that rate reduction for both nights. Eventually, the bill was adjusted for their error. My best advice for travelers from my 2012 3-week road trip is to check your rate on check-in and check-out. I encountered this problem frequently.

Room Tip: If VERY sensitive to noise, request top floor and bayside. Quests do not necessarily comply with the...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Naples, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

This is not your typical Courtyard Marriott design so I suspect that this was converted from another hotel brand. The remodel on the lobby and bistro area is outstanding and very comfortable and the hotel grounds were clean and well maintained. Upon prompt check in I was provided a suite that was nice but somowhat dated. The price per night was typical of the Courtyard Brand. The hotel is located along the river with convenient access to doing business in Bradenton. If future travels brought me to the Bradenton are I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
South Florida, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Well furnished, comfortable, and well lit room, "balcony" was about 1 foot wide by 5 ft long so you technically can stand on it. Only mirror in the whole room was in the bathroom. Nice work station in room. Sheets were stained and when I inquired they apologized and brought a pile of sheets up. Nice lobby and property, has pool, hot tub and little food/drink area I didn't look into. Staff friendly and helpful. Tricky to get to.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Been to Marriott Courtyard Bradenton Sarasota / Riverfront? Share your experiences!