“Great local dining” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Bradenton, Florida
“Great local dining”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Heard about this at the office from other locals -- good fresh seafood, good service, laid back atmosphere. This reminds us of the best kind of "dives" in the Keys. The menu includes variations on local seafood that you won't find at the bigger restaurants around here -- or you won't find it as good. Word was their fish tacos rock...and they do. The "Baja Tortillas" are offered with fried, blackened or grilled fish, served in nicely browned (very slightly) flour tortillas, topped with chopped onion, tomatoes and green peppers and drizzled with a delicious sauce. I had them with fried fish which was lightly battered and perfectly fried. Not greasy. I search for the perfect fish taco, and we make really good ones ourselves. This is an exceptionally good one. My dining partner had fried mullet with sides of cheese grits and collards, and he said his meal was good, but mine was probably better. We came in around 5:30, and by 6:15 the tables were starting to fill. Service is prompt and friendly. We're definitely adding O'Shucks to our list of good local restaurants. It's on Cortez Road, just west of Tyler's Ice Cream Parlor, where we landed for dessert.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Cork, Ireland
“Give it a try....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

This restaurant used to be Pelican Pete's own by a British couple and we noticed it had a new name so we gave it a try. The Grouper is fantastic blackened and the service was great (the poor guy looked exhausted) however was very helpful. The only negative there was no background music and it was a bit dead quiet at times.....but hey I'll take that over trying to over talk loud music......give the place a try....

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Morgantown, West Virginia
“Best food in Cortez”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

The seafood is fresh, caught by local fishermen, if you like seafood, such as fish, oysters etc...and the sides sides are "homemade". We also went back for ribs and pulled pork, yes... I said ribs and pulled pork, who knew a place named O'Shuck's had such excellent ribs and pulled pork!!!! This place is cozy and has a friendly staff. I recommend the Mac & Cheese bites, we visited this place three times on our week long vacation to Bradenton. Portion are large, be prepared to have a doggie bag. Don't miss this joint, it will make your belly and taste buds happy.

Visited July 2013
“Stop Here No matter how it looks from outside”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

This little place was fantastic. I had never been there but was greeted as if I were a regular customer. I hesitated to stop because it looks a little like a dive, but it was amazing. The hamburger was a real burger, thick perfectly cooked. The fries were homemade. Yummy. My friend had fish and it tasted as fresh as the claims. Don't miss this gem. I will go back when I am next in town

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Orlando, Florida, United States
“Incredible fish tacos”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

To set the stage, you have to know there is a delightful smell from the smoker outside cooking the mullet. The place is a little gem. We were a bit skeptical because there were few people in the place. started with the Manhattan clam chowder, which was very flavorful. I ordered the fish tacos. They have a Baja sauce and some fresh pico de gallo with a bit of a kick. You can get the fish grilled, blackened, or fried. They were at the top of my list for the best fish tacos. My husband had the fish sandwich twice. He liked the beer battered fish. The fries are fresh cut and the cheese grits are tasty. The kids loved the steamed oysters and fish and chips. Waitresses were very nice and accessible.

• Visited July 2013