“Snooty the Lady's Man in a Grey Suit” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 14 Attractions in Bradenton
Type: History Museums, Observatories/ Planetariums, Museums
More attraction details
Owner description: South Florida Museum is the largest natural and cultural history museum on Florida's Gulf Coast. The museum interprets the region from the Pleistocene to the present. The Bishop Planetarium, features one of the most advanced all-digital projection systems in the world and presents astronomy programs the whole family will enjoy. The Parker Manatee Aquarium, part of Florida's manatee rehabilitation network, is home to the oldest known living manatee. Phone ahead to confirm schedule and admission.
Sarasota, Florida
“Snooty the Lady's Man in a Grey Suit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

Excellent presentation about manatees by Eileen. She had everyone enthralled with factoids about manatees. Snooty, the star of the show, kept trying to smooch her.

Visited September 2011

North Carolina
8 attraction reviews
“Well Worth a Visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011

We really enjoyed our visit to the Museum/Aquarium, although, as angiewall comments below, the aquarium is extremely short on live fish (two tiny exhibits) BUT Snooty and his two pool-mates certainly make up for any shortages in that area. The pool they are in is extremely clean, and it was particularly good that you could watch them from above as well as underwater. Feeding times were the highlight - we arrived in time for the 11.15am feeding and there was an interesting little talk as well. For whatever reason, however, Snooty wasn't that interested in eating and swam off fairly quickly into the back pool, where we could not see him, which was obviously a bit disappointing.

After this we wandered off to look at the rest of the museum. I can usually speed through even the largest museum in record time, but there were some interesting/amusing/quirky exhibits and when my husband went to the planetarium show, I went back to look at the manatees again. As luck would have it we managed to while away our time until the next feeding at 1.00pm, and I'm certainly glad we did, as it was fantastic. A different presenter, a young guy, was giving the talk/doing the feeding this time and he hand-fed Snooty, who was practically crawling out of the pool to get his lettuce, broccoli and carrots!! It was truly excellent and, even though I've been back from my vacation over a week, I'm still talking about it and checking out the 'Snooty Cam'.

Small AAA discount available ($1 per person) and parking was easy (and free!) on the day we visited - plenty of spaces right in front of the museum.

Visited November 2011
Los Angeles
27 attraction reviews
“Don't miss!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011 via mobile

We spent a couple of hours here on a rainy afternoon in July. We saw one of the planetarium movies first which was fantastic and short enough to maintain interest of kids. Then we took a moment to visit the museum. The highlight of the museum is definitely the live manatee exhibit! The kids flipped for it! Big helpful hint.....you must time your visit to make sure that you visit the manatee area during one of the feeding times. It's fascinating so be sure to call ahead to find out times. Also...they do have AAA discount so don't forget to shoe your card! Enjoy!

Sammamish, WA (east of Seattle)
3 attraction reviews
“snooty was cute”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2011

Ok, we had unexpectedly horrible weather on our stay so we decided to check this out. It wouldn't have been on the agenda otherwise so I guess the bar wasn't too high. When I think aquarium I think of, well, an aquarium. This place, however, is a little short on live fish and big on plastic fish in dioramas. Nonetheless, I didn't hate it. It was actually kind of funny. My favorite "exhibit" was about 2x2 feet across, covered in lucite, and relegated to a desk in a corner: it was a shell exhibit...but not like shells from the deep, like you'd expect at an aquarium. You know those cheesy shell figures you can buy at seaside tourist traps...little sea shells with googly eyes glued on? Yeah, those. Some dude who liked to make those made an entire "orchestra" of sea shell figures. Yep. That was an "exhibit." Anyway, Snooty the manatee and his cohorts made up for all of this...in spades. And anyplace that rehabilitates injured manatees is ok in my book. So go. But don't have super high expectations...

Visited December 2010
NY
37 attraction reviews
“GREAT PLACE FOR KIDS AND ADULTS”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2011

My daughter and I love this place and it just keeps getting better all the time. A few years back this museum had an exquisite exhibit of the so-called Florida Highwaymen painters, which was unforgettable. At the moment they are featuring items from their permanent collection, a lot of clothing and textiles from all over the world. Snooty the Manatee is there and the young man leading the feeding tours is exceptional-- knowledgable, patient, friendly and interesting. Snooty has two young manatees keeping him company right now.This museum is worth at least 2 hours of your time, delightfully located near a boat marina and downtown Bradenton. Highly recommended esp for families with kids-- but my grown up friends love it, too.

Visited January 2011

Travelers who viewed South Florida Museum, Bishop Planetarium & Parker Manatee Aquarium also viewed

Been to South Florida Museum, Bishop Planetarium & Parker Manatee Aquarium? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage South Florida Museum, Bishop Planetarium & Parker Manatee Aquarium, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.