“Great Surprise” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Dessert, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Dessert, Reservations
“Great Surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

Though the place was empty it had the appearence of being something more upscale then you might find in other restaurants in the neighborhood. The appearence was not wrong. Had the Pizza Margarita as an appetizer. All three entres were outstanding and we had the backup chef. Can't wait to return when the regular chef is on duty.

• Visited December 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Florida
“Loved the food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

I was worried after reading some of the reviews on several sites, but I had purchased a gift certificate from Restaurant.com and decided to take a chance. We took my husbands parents and crossed our fingers for decent service and food. Turns out that both were excellent. Everyone was happy with their meal and the server was attentive. The water could had been refilled faster, but overall it was a good experience. I would recommend this restaurant.

• Visited December 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Burlington, Canada
“Sliding downhill. What happens when a great chef leaves.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

I have Italian roots. I'm a 'foodie". My son is a chef. I KNOW Italian. First visit was in 2010, on recommendation of friends (Italians). We were awestruck!. Amazing antipastis, risotto fab and the veal Saltimbocca, out of this world. But the defining moment was the Zuppa di Pesce ! MAGNIFICO!. We went back with more friends a few months later... still great. The chef was a young man who began his career in Milan, travelled extensively, came to Sarasota, creating wonderful taste bud experiences.
So, we go back not once but twice in 2011 only to find out the chef is gone. The menu, although the same, was completely changed in taste quality. NOT good. Service is pleasant but brutally slow and clearly the young fellow who owns the place means well and although he has an Italian name, has no idea how to speak Italian or for that matter pronounce dishes properly. We will not go back. Very disappointing.

• Visited March 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Sarasota, Florida
“Enjoyable Return Visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

My wife and I had not been to Cantina Toscana for a couple of years, but returned last night. We had a very enjoyable dinner -- good food, service, and a nice atmosphere with a low-key background musician. We had the lasagna, chicken Marsala, and finished with an excellent tiramisu both in flavor and presentation. I have found most tiramisu's to vary greatly between restaurants, and are usually a disappointment - not the case here! The standard Montepulciano wine by the glass was an excellent value at $6 a glass.

• Visited October 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Florida
“Now That's Italian (Northern)!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

The food here is outstanding. Every dish is unique. If you are expecting the same old spaghetti and red sauce or meatballs this place is not for you. However, if you are familiar with northern Italian food, you will love it here. My husband and I go as often as we can.

• Visited September 2011