“Worst stay ever” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 46 hotels in Dayton
Greenfield, Indiana
“Worst stay ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

We had booked 2 rooms and knew we had to be there by 6pm so we arrived at 5:30. NEITHER ROOM WAS READY! We were told to mess around for a half hour or so and come back, which we did, although we were tired from traveling and "messing around" was the last thing we wanted to do. "Lady" at the front desk was unfriendly and not at all helpful. We had soft drinks with us so immediately went for ice..NOT! BROKEN!! When we asked the front desk about this (by now it is 7pm) we were told it would be fixed by 9pm. My first thought? What hotel keeps an ice machine repairman on call at all hours? So...we waited and walked down several times checking on it. Of course, at 9, it was still broken. At 10pm, we called front desk (different person of course) and was told that it would not be fixed that night. Surprise!!! Had they been honest from the beginning, we could have gone out and got the ice we needed, but not after 3 hours. In the meantime, the heating unit was terrible, the room was dirty, the "light" (if you can call it that) over the sink was almost non existent. No way to put on make up unless you want to go as a clown! The beds were uncomfortable, the exhaust fan in the bathroom was so loud it sounded like a plane landing in the next room, and a dog upstairs barked so long and loud, sleeping was almost impossible. Needless to say, we were more than ready to get out of there the next morning. We were in Dayton for a much anticipated ceremony. It was the four of us sisters there to attend my sisters graduation with her Masters Degree in Divinity from the United Seminary University. What a "downer" this motel experience was to an otherwise wonderful trip. My overall suggestion: Think twice about staying here.

Room Tip: Since we had two rooms and they were both awful, I have my doubt there are any good rooms in this ho...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Janet W, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Dayton North Airport, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding your experience at our hotel. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring these matters to our attention. Although they did call for emergency service of the ice machine the part needed was unavailable to the company. We are so very sorry for any inconvenience they may have caused you. It is our goal at the Red Roof Inn Dayton North Airport to consistently provide superior service and accommodations, so your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from you, our valued guests, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future.

63 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Sevierville, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

My husband and I are frequent visitors to the area and have stayed at this hotel several times without incident.
We booked our stay in advance, opting for a cheaper room this time.

We checked in early and the girl at the desk was like a zombie. Didn't smile once. She asked how we were going to pay for the room, I explained I had already paid for it on my credit card, and she rudely responded that she "didn't see that on the screen, excuse me!" Ok then.

We had plans with family for the evening and knew we'd be getting back quite late. Because of our previous good experiences, I recommended the hotel to my daughter and son-in-law, who were also in town. I asked the front desk clerk when we checked in if the hotel was booked for the night, she said no. I asked if we could be put next to my daughters room. She again rudely responded that "your room is cheaper, so no you cannot!".

That said, we came back to our room late and went to bed. Later I woke up scratching and found two large bed bugs in my bed!! Immediately my husband went to the front desk, explaining the situation to the front desk clerk, who was not the same at check in. She was also rude to him, told him they would investigate it on Friday since Thursday was Thanksgiving and my husband asked who the manager was. She practically threw the General Managers business card at him and said "here, call her!". She moved us to a room three doors down, which was not clean, had huge holes in the wall and smelled awful! We ended up just trying to sleep as it was 3am by this time.

In the morning, at check out, I explained to the lady at the desk, who was yet another person, what happened and that I didn't feel we should have to pay. She said the General Manager would have to address our issue and would call us. We NEVER heard back.

I called Red Roof Inn corporate, in Columbus Ohio, who owns this hotel. They took a report and explained that the manager would indeed call us. Never heard a word. I explained to the corporate office that if I heard back from the manager in three days, I wouldn't report them here on Trip Advisor, if they could offer some sort of explaination and apology. Needless to say, it never happened.

I also reported this hotel on the bed bug registry. I have three large bites on my neck; it is awful.

Luckily my daughter and son-in-law's room didn't have bugs but it stunk like cigarette smoke and the room said "100% smoke free" on the door. What a crock.

It's a shame; this hotel used to be decent, clean and friendly staff. Now it's just awful. There are PLENTY of other places to stay on Miller Lane in Dayton, trust me, we WILL NOT EVER go back to this hotel and are cancelling our RediCard membership.

Do NOT stay here; trust me, it is not worth it!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Janet W, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Dayton North Airport, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Although I did issue the credit on my return, i did not follow up to see that you were given the return call. Please accept my sincere appologies. I will call you first thing in the morning of 11/30 to make sure you are ok and everything is taken care of to your satisfaction. We will make this right for you.
Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I stayed at this property because Red Roof sent me a deal stating that this property was newly remodeled. I decided to go shopping for the weekend and stayed at this property. While the front desk person was super nice, the condition of the hotel was far from a "new" remodeled state.

The first room I received had mold growing on the walls. (See attached pictures) I then asked for another room. That room had not been properly cleaned. I found the old TV remote, video games, and a pair of shoes under the bed. So there was no question the floor had not been vacuumed.

Finally, in the room next to me, was a gentleman who lived at the property. He had people coming and going at all hours. In fact, it seemed like illegal activity. In any case, all of the visitors smoked, even though I requested a non-smoking room, the smoke from his side came right in. I have allergies, so I was unable to get any decent sleep.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Dayton N Airport Red Roof. I am so sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations. At Red Roof, we strive to provide every customer with superior service; therefore your feedback is very important to us. I want you to know that we immediately took the appropriate measures to address the water issue with the hot water leak in that room back in late July when you stayed with us. Between the steam from the hot water pipe and the humidity in July it was a disaster that we cannot apologize enough for. I was so glad to hear the team took good care of you and I do remember refunding that stay for you upon my return the beginning of August. I have to admit to considerable confusion on your reference of a renovation though; we did not start our upgrade until October of this year several months after your stay with us. As of November we have completed our basic renovation including carpet, bedding, drapes, paint and considerable additional plumbing repairs. We will complete the process this spring with the final touches on the parking lot repairs.

We appreciate hearing from you again and I will, again, give you my sincere apologies on your difficulties in July. It is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the future. Please feel free to call on us anytime at 937-898-1054 or i0023@redroof.com.
SO CAL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Booked this hotel from Thursday - Monday - Total price $220. - Good rates and located on Miller Lane which has lots of restaurants for every budget.

Wound up in a handicapped room (111) with King bed. Big bathroom with laminate wood floor. Room was clean, smelled good, bed and pillows very comfortable. I think I might request handicapped from now on based on size and obviousely less used.

Air conditioning worked fine.

Staff allowed a late check out of 1:00 p.m. but did mention that this should be cleared the evening before.

A minute walk to Bob Evans restaurant which is a plus because they have very good food and don't miss the biscuits and sausage gravy.

Room Tip: Ask for 111
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Danville, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

The room had a funny smell... the air conditioner was on HI cool and coldest setting and I still felt like it never cooled the room down. There was various stains in the chair that was in the room and several hand fulls of dog hair stuck down in the crack of it. The beds were clean but oh so awful. The mattresses were terrible!! Bad 80's tv with snowy cable. When i went in the bathroom there was a used dirty towel hanging on the back of the door from the previous occupant of the room. YUCK. So how thorough could the room really have been cleaned? No do not disturb signs to put out. Booked room for two nights and key card stopped working after one night. Desk clerk proceeded to tell me that it was MY fault. I have stayed at Red Roof Inns before.. because I often travel with my pet but this one was pretty bad. BUT.. you get what you pay for.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

Because Dayton was not a 'destination location' for us on our month long road trip we wanted to stay somewhere economical for the night. We had stayed at a Red Roof in Cedar Rapids, IA, and it was clean with good staff, so thought we would try it again. After our night at the Red Roof in Dayton, we never booked with the chain again along our journey.

At first glance, the room seemed ok when we entered it. But as we got a bit settled, we started noticing how dirty it really was. There was something splashed all over walls by the desk. Ad stains on carpets. The chair in the room was filthy. The bedding smelled bad. Because we had booked online through a travel site and the room was pre-paid, we just lay on top of the beds to sleep.

In the morning, when checking out, I mentioned to the clerk the room had been so dirty, and she just shrugged her shoulders and said nothing. I have compassion for people who work jobs that are challenging, and I get that housekeeping in a motel would be challenging. But I also get that I gave some of my money towards this establishment, and would have even appreciated an apology.

My bottom line.... I'm sure there are other budget motels in the area that are probably cleaner than what we experienced at this Red Roof.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

The rooms looked just like Red Roof's marketing pictures: they were clean and well kept. Recently had two rooms in our small group stay over. Everything was great, except they really smelled of smoke. I wish there would have been a non-smoking option when making my reservation and checking in. If Red Roof offered non-smoking rooms, they would be receiving a 5 rating from me for their hotel class.

Room Tip: As them if they have non-smoking rooms, unless you smoke of course.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Red Roof Inn Dayton North Airport? Share your experiences!