“You get what you pay for...” 2 of 5 stars

Red Roof Inn Dayton North Airport
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7370 Miller Lane, Dayton, OH 45414   |
Ranked #24 of 47 Hotels in Dayton
Danville, Virginia
“You get what you pay for...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

The room had a funny smell... the air conditioner was on HI cool and coldest setting and I still felt like it never cooled the room down. There was various stains in the chair that was in the room and several hand fulls of dog hair stuck down in the crack of it. The beds were clean but oh so awful. The mattresses were terrible!! Bad 80's tv with snowy cable. When i went in the bathroom there was a used dirty towel hanging on the back of the door from the previous occupant of the room. YUCK. So how thorough could the room really have been cleaned? No do not disturb signs to put out. Booked room for two nights and key card stopped working after one night. Desk clerk proceeded to tell me that it was MY fault. I have stayed at Red Roof Inns before.. because I often travel with my pet but this one was pretty bad. BUT.. you get what you pay for.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Janet W, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Dayton North Airport, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
Thank you for your feedback regarding your experience at our hotel/ We greatly appreciate you bringing these matters to our attention. We are also very sorry for any inconvenience these situations may have caused you. The feedback we receive from you, our valued guests, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. Kind regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

Because Dayton was not a 'destination location' for us on our month long road trip we wanted to stay somewhere economical for the night. We had stayed at a Red Roof in Cedar Rapids, IA, and it was clean with good staff, so thought we would try it again. After our night at the Red Roof in Dayton, we never booked with the chain again along our journey.

At first glance, the room seemed ok when we entered it. But as we got a bit settled, we started noticing how dirty it really was. There was something splashed all over walls by the desk. Ad stains on carpets. The chair in the room was filthy. The bedding smelled bad. Because we had booked online through a travel site and the room was pre-paid, we just lay on top of the beds to sleep.

In the morning, when checking out, I mentioned to the clerk the room had been so dirty, and she just shrugged her shoulders and said nothing. I have compassion for people who work jobs that are challenging, and I get that housekeeping in a motel would be challenging. But I also get that I gave some of my money towards this establishment, and would have even appreciated an apology.

My bottom line.... I'm sure there are other budget motels in the area that are probably cleaner than what we experienced at this Red Roof.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

The rooms looked just like Red Roof's marketing pictures: they were clean and well kept. Recently had two rooms in our small group stay over. Everything was great, except they really smelled of smoke. I wish there would have been a non-smoking option when making my reservation and checking in. If Red Roof offered non-smoking rooms, they would be receiving a 5 rating from me for their hotel class.

Room Tip: As them if they have non-smoking rooms, unless you smoke of course.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Conway, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

Have stayed at this hotel over 150 times in the last year and my last stay was just that.....MY LAST! After being kept up all night by the party in the room next to mine, I overslept .The front desk called (the manager, Janet) screaming at me even after I informed her that I was staying over so that I could try to get some sleep since I hadn't the night before.When I went to the office she went CRAZY screaming at me about discrimination lawsuits(????).I asked for her supervisors name & # and was given Darryl Fenner and a #. I called that number and left messages with my name & # six times and noone ever returned my call.So I went to the Red Roof Facebook page and shared my experience and they asked ME to email THEM and explain it all again.I feel like if I was important they would have contacted me after all the times I tried to contact them to get a resolution......IN SHORT, DON'T BOTHER,THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Baltimore, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

We wanted an inexpensive but decent place to stay in Dayton for one night so we could get together with friends. We are familiar with the Miller Lane hotel strip from previous visits and a friend recommended this Red Roof Inn as being inexpensive yet clean with good, free Wi-Fi (very important for us - we don't like paying an extra charge for Wi-Fi). We decided to try it out for one night and it was fine for a quick stay.

Room did smell of smoke though it was a non-smoking room - we discovered someone previously staying there had apparently dumped their ashes in the HVAC unit so the smell was wafted around the room. Since we're not allergic or bothered by a smoky smell, and it was just one night, we let that go. Other than that the room was clean, with the exception of a very small amount of mold in the older bathroom. Layout of room was typical Red Roof with the door opening right to the outside, the vanity sink in the bedroom area, a very small bathroom containing the shower and toilet, and a clothes rack rather than a closet. Cable TV and free WiFi both worked great. Bed was OK although blanket was very thin (we've noticed the same at other Red Roofs) but the HVAC heat made the room nice and warm so we were not cold when we slept. The room did have an in-room safe which I greatly appreciated as some of the other Miller Lane hotels do not.

We got the room for about 60 dollars with AAA discount, which was significantly lower than other hotels on the street (some of which were charging more like 100 dollars which I personally feel is overpriced for a one-night stay in Dayton and especially on Miller Lane in February). You could get a room with fridge and microwave for an extra 10 dollars, but we didn't need those. We also got an early check-in with no problem when we arrived at 2 pm. The Red Roof Inn does not offer certain amenities that the other hotels on the street do, such as swimming pool or complimentary breakfast, but we didn't need those either, particularly given that there's many chain restaurants located right on Miller Lane.

This hotel felt reasonably safe, but its location at the less-busy end of Miller Lane between a large dark empty lot and a partially deserted office park would have been a little creepy if I was traveling solo. I was with my husband so it was fine. We also did have an issue with housekeeping apparently not realizing we'd checked in and trying to enter our room with her master key when we were in it. She apologized, but she really should have knocked and hollered "Housekeeping" before trying to just barge in a room. Fortunately we had the security lock on and were dressed at the time.

All things considered, and in view of the significantly low price, we'd consider staying again for a one-night no-frills trip.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

Very clean, new pillows, and beds. Smoke free rooms and smoking rooms. The room even smelled fresh.

• Stayed January 2012
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

This is a older hotel that does need some touch up but it's decent none the less there was some paint peeling in two spots on the roof in the corner of the room I stayed in and there was a slight odor of cigarette/cigar smoke in the room but it isn't very noticeable. The airconditioned could use some new directional vents but works fine none the less. Everything else was in good shape and up to date. The office staff was very helpful and cheerful whenever I neede their assistance. They do allow pets and have coin opperated laundry machines on site. There are plenty of restaraunts within walking distance or a short drive. They do not have any space for RVs, busses, or large trucks.

• Stayed December 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dayton
Hawthorn Suites Dayton North
Fairfield Inn Dayton North
Comfort Inn & Suites Dayton
Extended Stay America - Dayton - North
Value Place Dayton Miamisburg
Comfort Inn Dayton / Miller Ln.

Been to Red Roof Inn Dayton North Airport? Share your experiences!