“The rooms were clean, but” 3 of 5 stars

Red Roof Inn Dayton North Airport
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7370 Miller Lane, Dayton, OH 45414   |
Ranked #26 of 46 Hotels in Dayton
Chicago, Illinois
“The rooms were clean, but”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

The rooms looked just like Red Roof's marketing pictures: they were clean and well kept. Recently had two rooms in our small group stay over. Everything was great, except they really smelled of smoke. I wish there would have been a non-smoking option when making my reservation and checking in. If Red Roof offered non-smoking rooms, they would be receiving a 5 rating from me for their hotel class.

Room Tip: As them if they have non-smoking rooms, unless you smoke of course.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Conway, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

Have stayed at this hotel over 150 times in the last year and my last stay was just that.....MY LAST! After being kept up all night by the party in the room next to mine, I overslept .The front desk called (the manager, Janet) screaming at me even after I informed her that I was staying over so that I could try to get some sleep since I hadn't the night before.When I went to the office she went CRAZY screaming at me about discrimination lawsuits(????).I asked for her supervisors name & # and was given Darryl Fenner and a #. I called that number and left messages with my name & # six times and noone ever returned my call.So I went to the Red Roof Facebook page and shared my experience and they asked ME to email THEM and explain it all again.I feel like if I was important they would have contacted me after all the times I tried to contact them to get a resolution......IN SHORT, DON'T BOTHER,THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Baltimore, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

We wanted an inexpensive but decent place to stay in Dayton for one night so we could get together with friends. We are familiar with the Miller Lane hotel strip from previous visits and a friend recommended this Red Roof Inn as being inexpensive yet clean with good, free Wi-Fi (very important for us - we don't like paying an extra charge for Wi-Fi). We decided to try it out for one night and it was fine for a quick stay.

Room did smell of smoke though it was a non-smoking room - we discovered someone previously staying there had apparently dumped their ashes in the HVAC unit so the smell was wafted around the room. Since we're not allergic or bothered by a smoky smell, and it was just one night, we let that go. Other than that the room was clean, with the exception of a very small amount of mold in the older bathroom. Layout of room was typical Red Roof with the door opening right to the outside, the vanity sink in the bedroom area, a very small bathroom containing the shower and toilet, and a clothes rack rather than a closet. Cable TV and free WiFi both worked great. Bed was OK although blanket was very thin (we've noticed the same at other Red Roofs) but the HVAC heat made the room nice and warm so we were not cold when we slept. The room did have an in-room safe which I greatly appreciated as some of the other Miller Lane hotels do not.

We got the room for about 60 dollars with AAA discount, which was significantly lower than other hotels on the street (some of which were charging more like 100 dollars which I personally feel is overpriced for a one-night stay in Dayton and especially on Miller Lane in February). You could get a room with fridge and microwave for an extra 10 dollars, but we didn't need those. We also got an early check-in with no problem when we arrived at 2 pm. The Red Roof Inn does not offer certain amenities that the other hotels on the street do, such as swimming pool or complimentary breakfast, but we didn't need those either, particularly given that there's many chain restaurants located right on Miller Lane.

This hotel felt reasonably safe, but its location at the less-busy end of Miller Lane between a large dark empty lot and a partially deserted office park would have been a little creepy if I was traveling solo. I was with my husband so it was fine. We also did have an issue with housekeeping apparently not realizing we'd checked in and trying to enter our room with her master key when we were in it. She apologized, but she really should have knocked and hollered "Housekeeping" before trying to just barge in a room. Fortunately we had the security lock on and were dressed at the time.

All things considered, and in view of the significantly low price, we'd consider staying again for a one-night no-frills trip.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

Very clean, new pillows, and beds. Smoke free rooms and smoking rooms. The room even smelled fresh.

• Stayed January 2012
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

This is a older hotel that does need some touch up but it's decent none the less there was some paint peeling in two spots on the roof in the corner of the room I stayed in and there was a slight odor of cigarette/cigar smoke in the room but it isn't very noticeable. The airconditioned could use some new directional vents but works fine none the less. Everything else was in good shape and up to date. The office staff was very helpful and cheerful whenever I neede their assistance. They do allow pets and have coin opperated laundry machines on site. There are plenty of restaraunts within walking distance or a short drive. They do not have any space for RVs, busses, or large trucks.

• Stayed December 2011
Montclair, Virginia, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

I travel often with my cat, and often stay at Red Roof Inns as they are pet friendly. Upon arriving at any hotel, I always check under the beds as there may be something under there that might injure or poison my cat if she ate it. This trip, I stayed at a Red Roof in St Clairsville OH (clean, smelled nice and friendly staff) and at a Red Roof in Indianapolis (less stellar but clean)...but this Red Roof Inn was poor in all respects. Lackluster staff, the room had no 'Do Not Disturb" card and no 'Rate this Inn' card...or I would have filled it out! Under the bed: condom wrapper, chocolate candy, some kind of pill, dead flies, a shot glass, one of the two beds with a broken frame and ripped out shredded liner on the box spring. I didn't find any evidence of bedbugs though. When I took a plastic cup with all the garbage I found under the bed to the front desk, the desk clerk asked if I wanted to change rooms (no, one clean up a night is enough) and that she would tell the manager, but no other offer of a refund etc. If I had planned on staying more than one night, I think I would have tried another hotel, as there are many on this street.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Detroit, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

I stopped in the area to grab something quick to eat, refuel and continue on to Savannah. I had a flat tire which lead to me spending the night. Never again. I just wanted something cheap & clean. That's it. Cheap this was 50.00 including the taxes..OK. Clean not even close. Bed was clean but obviously cheap. I've slept better on my sofa at home. A/C heating unit had crud stuck in it and looked like it hadn't been cleaned in years. I sprayed Lysol all over it just to feel comfortable breathing. The room reeked of Febreze or whatever they spray to try to eliminate odors. It was supposed to be a non-smoking room. Right! It had cigarette burns on the office chair. Shower curtain had stains. Shower had hair in it (several pieces that any maid should have seen) GROSS. Dust on top of the lights stains on the in room safe. A skittle candy on the bathroom floor. Nope never again. I often get made fun of by friends for staying at higher end hotels when I'm away from home. I tried the economy route never again. The Courtyard by Marriott is right down the road from here and double the price but I think clean is worth it as long as you have the cash.

Room Tip: Go to the Marriott or Fairfield Inn down the street like I should have.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo

Been to Red Roof Inn Dayton North Airport? Share your experiences!