“Would stay here again” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 46 hotels in Dayton
McHenry, Illinois
“Would stay here again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We stayed here only one night on our way back from a long road trip. The hotel looks newly renovated, the breakfast/dining area is big and well-maintained, and check-in went smoothly. The room we were put in had a bathroom door that wouldn't shut, so we requested a new room and were accommodated right away. The breakfast was good and the beds and pillows were comfortable.

The reason I'm not giving an "excellent" is because the front desk staff wasn't exactly nice or friendly. Also,there is only handicap parking in front of the hotel, so we had to walk a bit in the rain to get to our room.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

38 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Athens, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Let me preface this by saying that we were with a small group that stayed at this hotel during the weekend of June 21-23, 2014.

Like any good review, there are positive and negative facets to most stays. I'll start with the positives:
- The beds were comfortable and the pillows plentiful.
- The microwave and mini-fridge were spotlessly clean.
- The cheesy eggs, sausage, french toast, and blueberry bagels at breakfast were delicious.
- The fitness room has pretty decent weight tower for multiple weight lifting exercises.
- While I didn't have time to enjoy the pool, the area was clean & the water was perfectly clear.
- The shower water pressure was very good, particularly for a larger building.

Now, for the negatives:
- Breakfast: no cereal, the counters were left cluttered and dirty with globs of food and used plates and utensils for nearly two hours after the breakfast was over, there were only four tiny yogurts in the mini-fridge.
- Fitness Center: the treadmill was too weak to spin the belt if there was any sort of weight on it.
- Room: the furniture apparently doesn't get moved when housekeeping is cleaning, as there was trash near the footstool, a clothing size (M) circular sticker was stuck to the wall of our room, there were no laundry bags in the closet, the A/C was weak and unpredictable.
- Linens: both the bed and bath linens were very stained, the fitted sheets were too small for the nicely sized beds so they popped off everytime anything was placed on the bed.
- Bathroom: the toilet seat was hanging by a prayer to the toilet bowl (I just about slid off onto the floor the first time I sat down), there was just one washcloth in a double occupancy room, there was no exhaust fan to deal with the potential of shower steam but there was NO hot water in the shower our entire stay so steam wasn't an issue.
- Lobby: the carpet in the lounge/computer area was absolutely filthy.
- General: the outer doors to the hotel were consistently unlocked though the cardkey readers were in place so other than your personal room door locks there wasn't any security.
- Front Desk: was constantly unmanned even though the phone was ringing incessantly, the note left on the front counter said to look in the laundry room for the front desk person but no one answered our repeated knocks on the laundry room door (housekeeping later told us that there wasn't anyone in the laundry at that time).

We had the further misfortune of staying at the hotel at the same time as some sort of MidWest soccer tournament. Please, call ahead to the hotel before staying in mid/late June. They were over-full and woefully understaffed. (Management should definitely consider some temporary help during the tournament to give the rest of their guests even a modicum of adequate service.)

We might have addressed these concerns with the fornt desk on our departure, but we were never asked: how our stay was, were there any issues, or what they could improve on. So, we left our concerns here for our fellow travelers to read.

Room Tip: Don't stay here during summer soccer tournament season.
Kitchener, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

On a last minute decision to start driving to florida booked here for a Saturday night because it was close to I75 and was aiming to drive to around 11 pm, which made location perfect. The place was really busy but the check in staff while frazzled were very plesant,and had us checked in as quick as possible. Room on first glance looked good...but....the white comforter was smeared with jam or something...not stained..smeared..it was so late and I knew how busy the front desk we just tossed it on the floor...grossed out..wondering what else..next was the truck in the room. The air conditioner was the loudest ever, coupled with the slamming ice vending machine door noise and elevator noise it made for a very poor nights sleep. The bed was comfortable.

When we were asked at check out we shared our story, and the fellow was apologetic and took $10 off the bill, but I did not feel that even with that did we get value for our money. This was a best Western minus not plus experience!

• Stayed June 2014
Geneva, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I recently stayed in this hotel and like another reviewer, had the same issues with water pouring in the windows, bad plumbing in the bathrooms and poor service from the hotel manager. The hotel was booked and was drastically understaffed. When housekeeping came at 12pm and I called for towels at 5pm, the manager acted like I was bothering her and told me I could come down to the desk in an hour to get towels because they were still in the dryer. When I went to the desk. I also had to wait over twenty minutes before someone was there. The breakfast is also disappointing. They ran out of cereal and had no fruit whatsoever. We ended up going out to breakfast. It seems the hotel was unable to accommodate a fully booked hotel and management was less than helpful. I would have checked out but was with a group. The person working the front desk was wonderful. Not only did he have to check people in but was also responsible for the room repairs as the maintenance guy quit I was told. Be careful of the positive reviews because I personally observed a staff member on the hotel computer writing positive reviews to skew the ratings.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Angela P, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Dayton South, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear Frenchiehc,
Addressing the issues of the US Youth Soccer tournament 2014. There was a storm that hit Dayton that put the cars at the Dayton Mall under 3 feet of water. We had extreme weather that hit our property in a way unlike any before. We lost power for 3 hours as well as the other hotels at this exit. After the issues from that storm, we are having our windows resealed. As for the towels, we had all girl teams. We have a standard amount like any hotel. Upon the teams all leaving, we found nearly 12-16 towels in each room that is supposed to have 4. We did the best we could. We laundered them the second we got them back from guests each morning. We just accommodated Warrior Soccer and WGI and did not have these issues. We also have hired a new maintenance man to start 7\2\2014. Lastly I am sorry you felt everything was horrible. Our employees pulled together and did the best we could. Provisions have been made to correct issues. As far as one of our employees writing a review, I would like to know more about that. I can not imagine one of our employees doing that. When I came to this hotel we were #20 and now #12 out of 46. We earned that. We have a new GM, a new Executive Housekeeper, and now a new maintenance man. We are improving this property on a daily basis. We want everyone who comes to Dayton to enjoy their time here. I am personally sorry we let you down.
Grand Rapids, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My family and I stopped for the night while on the way home to Michigan, I got to have a little reunion with a close friend who was in desert storm with me and who I had not visited with in 5 years. It was a comfortable over night stay. I did feel the bathroom we had had an odd design and the sink counter was rather small.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Dear John R,
Thank you for taking the time to write this response. I want to start my thanking you for your service to our country! I hope you enjoyed your time with your friend. Our bathrooms are a more modern design with our recent renovations. The sink area is smaller but we now provide shelving under our sinks with 2 shelves. As well our towel bar design is to combat that as well. There is cubby and shelf storage there as well. It took me a moment to adjust to the concept myself. I guess the good thing is your things won’t get wet anymore. I hope you come stay with us again next time you are in Dayton! Safe travels!
Batavia, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I recently stayed at this Best Western property. When I arrived, it took 20 minutes for me to find someone to check me in. Then after receiving my room, we got a terrible rainstorm, and my window started to leak, so I had to pile up towels on the air conditioner. Let's see, the bathtub would not drain properly so I was standing in water for every shower. The door to the bathroom was warped and would not shut properly, and the light above the sink was out. Oh, and I also had a leak in my ceiling that would drip to the carpet at night. If I was not staying with a group, I would have checked out.

Also, the hotel was completely booked and was under staffed. The breakfast is also sub par. There was one guy working at the front desk who really was great, but all the other staff seemed annoyed by my requests to fix my room. I traveled for work for many years and this was unacceptable.

Dear HossBiggins,
Addressing the issues of the US Youth Soccer tournament 2014. There was a storm that hit Dayton that put the cars at the Dayton Mall under 3 feet of water. We had extreme weather that hit our property in a way unlike any before. We lost power for 3 hours as well as the other hotels at this exit. After the issues from that storm, we are having our windows resealed. We just accommodated Warrior Soccer and WGI and did not have these issues. We also have hired a new maintenance man to start 7\2\2014. Lastly I am sorry you felt everything was horrible. Our employees pulled together and did the best we could. Provisions have been made to correct issues. We have a new GM, a new Executive Housekeeper, and now a new maintenance man. We are improving this property on a daily basis. We want everyone who comes to Dayton to enjoy their time here. I am personally sorry we let you down.
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

This is not a bad hotel. Very clean, nice newer tvs, hot shower. All of the things you would expect at a decent hotel. The front desk staff is very efficient, there was a small line at check in, but they were able to get through everybody quite quickly. Breakfast is nothing fancy, but it does the job.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear AH78,
Thank you for taking the time to review our property! I hope with the improvements we are making we can exceed your expectations the next time you visit Dayton! Although this review is positive, we strive to be better that decent. I appreciated your feedback!

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Dayton South? Share your experiences!