“good food and drinks” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
“good food and drinks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Great, try the pretzel bites they are great. The fish is great and they have good soups. You can easily split a meal. They have off brand draft beers that are very good. Note sit next to the window and look out at the road. If you sit by the door it is cold on the women.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Centerville, Ohio
1,523 reviews 1,523 reviews
1,025 restaurant reviews
3,031 helpful votes 3,031 helpful votes
“Management, parking, hostesses, and servers are simply fantastic.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Doubleday's Grill & Tavern is an owner’s goldmine. Management, parking, hostesses, and servers are simply fantastic.

It must have been nearly twenty years ago that we became fans of Doubleday's Grill & Tavern, and it has been nearly 10 years since our last visit. The overwhelming positive ratings encouraged us to visit in early 2013. Nearby are La Rosa’s, Outback, and a neat kitchen shop deli. And we always observe that Doubleday's Grill & Tavern’s parking lot is nearly full.

Make no mistake; Doubleday's Grill & Tavern has a loyal and dedicated clientele. However, we soon realized that our dining out preferences has greatly changed.

We take notice that several reviewers like the “Cheese Cake” menu. Apparently, Doubleday's Grill & Tavern is a one stop for “American and international cuisine.”

Doubleday's Grill & Tavern loves to deep-fry almost everything. Doubleday's Grill & Tavern is expert at presenting lots of fried food with cheese and bacon. Doubleday's Grill & Tavern offers a really big menu. The menu choices include burgers, tons of appetizers, Mexican, American, sandwiches, seafood, steak, ribs, Italian, subs, soups, salads, wraps, and pizza. It is almost like going to Golden Corral or a food court in a different format.

Families with children love the prices, and so do the boomers and retirees. The noise level can become very loud; however, the hostesses and servers are well trained, and they provide expert experience at crowd control.

So we “get” that Doubleday's Grill & Tavern has captured several demographics, and we are always pleased with successful local ownership.

We are not the demographic to enjoy Doubleday's Grill & Tavern.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Gettysburg, Ohio
“Sports bar with a BIG menu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Doubleday's is, in many ways, a typical sports bar & grill... loud, lots of t.v.'s and sports stuff on the walls. However, what does set Doubleday's apart from the chains and local dives is the vast array of menu items...we try to get something different every time we go, and have never had a bad meal. The portions are more than acceptable, the service is usually very good, and the prices are comparable to other places like this. It is family friendly. You will see people of every age, young to old. Expect to wait for a table, especially at "peak" hours over lunch, supper and weekends.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dayton, Ohio
“When the doors are open, this place is rockin' ...and I love it!"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

We stopped for lunch at Doubleday' s Grill and Tavern at noon on a Thursday after New Years. The parking lot was packed. I went in through the side entrance by mistake (near the pizza ovens) and the staff courteously guided me to the hostess station, which was more crowded than a pancake house after church on Sunday.

Two young women were calmly taking names for a 15 minute wait. They were kind, organized, and unruffled by the crowd. There was little chatter between them, no eye rolling at elderly patrons, etc. They were bright, alert, and happy to be there. I was impressed.

I asked if open seating at the bar was available and one hostess affirmed that it was. I wasn't sure I wanted to eat a meal at the bar though, so she also agreed to take my name for a table for two. When we got settled at the bar, however, a bartender named Brian made us feel right at home.

He set us up with two sodas as requested. I could see the bar was well stocked. He suggested if we order sandwiches, we ask for them on the pretzel bun, and we did. I ordered the Doubleday Burger; my son ordered the Bacon Cheeseburger. Both meals came with generous portions of steak fries. My son ordered a garden salad large enough for two. The salad came with a piping hot honey wheat roll. The meals were great.

The generous portions, the timeliness of the food delivered to our table, the taste and smell of great burgers would make any visitor wish to return. However, the impression that will remain with me was the confidence and thoughtfulness of the staff. They knew how handle a full house, they were confident in their jobs, and we were not left -- as we have been so often these days -- stranded diners at some far off table waiting for someone to take our order then apologizing profusely when the food comes out wrong.

In fact, as we left, I asked the hostess if it was always this busy; she nonchalantly said, while she re-stacked the menus, "Yes, but it's way worse at night."

Maybe it was eating at the bar which made the difference, one never knows. But Brian was the one who made the comment above that I used for a title.

And I believe him.

Ohio
“Doubleday's, Our Favorite Place to Eat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Doubleday's is a family owned restaurant with bar service. There are LOTS of options on the menu and I've never had a meal I didn't like. It's one of the few restaurants we go to that I can pick from lots of different meals depending on my mood. At many restaurants I get into a rut and always order that same thing. Doubleday's has something to meet my taste on any given day. Service has always been great and it's a place where families, friends, or small groups are easily accommodated.

• Visited December 2012