“A Breakfast Gem of Dayton, where your coffee cup never runs dry!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Springboro, Ohio
“A Breakfast Gem of Dayton, where your coffee cup never runs dry!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

Their breakfast and lunch menu has plenty of yummy choices. They are known for their array of flapjacks. My faves are the healthier options of buckwheat or whole wheat. I can't get away from ordering their spinach and feta omelette.........oh MY! Your coffee cup is always topped off by any waitress who passes by. Service is quick and food is great. Expect a 30-60 minute wait at primetime morning hours of the weekend. The earlier you can get there, the better.

• Visited December 2013

Franklin, Ohio
“waffles are the very best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

When we fancy a waffle, my husband and I give ourselves a treat and drive up to the Golden Nugget. They serve a wide selection of other foods as well as waffles but we always order the same---waffles with toppings and whip cream and lots and lots of coffee. Staff are kind and attentive and happy we came to eat at their place.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Very good food & prices”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Bacon & cheese omelet was excellent & you get three pancakes with it, good but could not eat it all. Staff was all very nice & polite. My friend had coffee & they kept his cup full, he had to tell them, please no more. Prices are reasonable, food is always good, staff is nice.......all well worth the wait!

• Visited August 2013
Rochester Hills, Michigan
“Eh, I've had better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Was the second time my family and I have attempted this venture. The first time was 4 years ago with just two kids. I was very disappointed by the older wait staff. They decided they would scold my 2 year old son because he was playing building blocks with the jelly. The food was ok the first time.

That being said, I wanted to try again and this time with 3 kids. We ordered 2 of the breakfast specials with pancakes, French toast, sausage patties, eggs and bacon. Plus home fries. The pancakes and French toast were run of the mill.

The service this time was top notch. Well worth the 20% tip she received. The place got real busy real fast even at 9:00am when we arrived. Clean place to eat with the family.

I would recommend this place as a basic pancake house with a splash of umph. We may or may not try it again. Not what the locals hype it to be.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Dayton, Ohio, United States
“A Dayton Legend. But Why?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

I'm not a native Daytonian, so maybe that's why I don't get it?

Golden Nugget is a cherished institution here. Many people whose opinions I respect have expressed love for it. You will not find them less than busy, and on weekend breakfast hours there's likely a line out the door--in all seasons! You might wait over an hour to be seated.

But I find them disappointing. So let's explore the reasons.

Their pancakes are, by reputation, superb. But I'm not a lover of oood, ordinary pancakes--regular, buttermilk, or whole wheat, all of which are on the menu. To me, a stack of cakes, competently done, tastes aout the same as any other once slathered in butter and doused in syrup. So I generally go for other options, and I've not been happy. On one visit I ordered the blintzes--which should be called cottage cheese roll-ups, they were ordinary pancakes and not stuffed and refried crepes. Another time I ordered the broccoli and cheese omelette, and I received broccoli stems and cheez whiz.

On my most recent experience, I got the corned beef hash special. Best thing I've had there so far. My sunny-side-up eggs were perfect. The modest portion of grilled hash was interesting; I'm going to guess they corned their own brisket in-house, and I found it OK but inconsistent--very salty sometimes, bland others.

Their coffee is a dark roast, and while I normally take mine black, this cup needed a sweetener and some cream--and that made it too sweet. Happily enough, the wait staff was ready to warm it up, and a little more coffee resolved the issue.

The pace of service here can vary from OK to glacial. I buess it depends on how busy they are; my Friday luchtime visit went OK, tho' they were not full and it took a couple of minutes for the hostess to seat me--and she put me, solo, on a three-topper, despite and empty two-topper right next to it. I wonder if sometimes they slow themselves down by not seating for max occupancy?

The facility is quite nice; a few years ago a fire forced a major remodel, and ghe dining area is clean and better organized. I must warn everyone that their municipality, Moraine, is quite clueless about public works, and if you approach the restaurant from the north you'll probably wind up turning around--and the streets are confusing. Approach from the east or south is no problem; from the west, turn left at the traffic light.

I should mention that they have a lunch menu with some standard sandwich and salad selections; I have not tried tghem.

So there's one opinion, from a self-professed foodie who loves a resaurant breakfast. I do not know why people wait in line an hour here where there are other places in town with a shorter wait--or none at all--and equivalent or better food and service. I wouldn't refuse to return to this breakfast/lunch eatery in the future, but I'm not recommending it eiher.

• Visited June 2013