“Just a great restaurant” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Kettering, Ohio
“Just a great restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Jay's is our go-to place and has been for 25+ years. Great seafood; great wine list; SUPERB wine prices; great staff. The grilled rare tuna and the scotch soy scallops are my favorites. They have some wonderful monthly 3-course dinners that are a real bargain.

Visited January 2013

Ohio
“fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

You will be sure to enjoy delicious , fresh seafood in a beautiful historical Dayton restaurant. If you are visiting Dayton, make sure this restaurant is on your list.

Visited March 2012
Knoxville,TN
“Great meal in Dayton”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

My wife and I had dinner here with some friends on a recent stay in Dayton. First of all let me say that Jays is in the Oregon District, which is the coolest part of Dayton that I saw. There are losts of shops restaurants bars etc. in this area, along with alot of old and beautifiul homes. It reminds me alot of the Dupont Circle area in Washington DC.
Now, as for Jays, we had a wonderful time. the food was delicious and the service was great. The restaurant was very busy on a Saturday night, so I would reccomend reservations. The service was great. Our waitress saw that we were in no hurry and wanted to enjoy our evening so she did not push us. She allowed us to order at our own leasure and was very gracious. We had some oysters to start which were very fresh. I had the Mahi Mahi special, and my wife had the filet. Both were wonderful. Some of the best seafood I have had away from the coast. This would be a great place for a special occasion, a nice date, or a business dinner.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Cincinnati
“Not bad... wine service needs work”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Went to Jay's for an evening out with a couple of friends of ours. Overall, a very nice dinner. We started with some oysters that were very fresh, proceeded on to a nice salad with a roasted lemon dressing, an excellent salmon for me and a pretty good but not great dish of grilled scallops for my wife, finished off with some dessert.

My wife and I got there a little early and ordered some drinks at the bar. While enjoying our cocktails I asked the bartender for the wine list and, not really seeing anything too exciting among what we wanted to drink, I asked if there were any off-list suggestions. The bartender called someone over and he asked what we were looking for. I told him, gave him a budget, and asked him to surprise us with something at the table. A nice bottle was delivered by the bartender. No explanation of what it was, why it was selected, or, after it was opened, any follow up from the "wine guy" or anyone else to see if we actually enjoyed it. I was surprised. When you're spending neary $100 on a bottle of wine and you're asking for the wine expert to surprise you, it is a general expectation, I think, that they'll at least stop by and ask if you like it. Or, better yet, deliver it themselves and take a moment to explain what they like about it. I suspect the guy just picked whatever and had it delivered, with very little thought. Pretty disappointing. This wouldn't keep me from going to Jay's again but you can bet I won't be expecting much in the way of wine.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dayton, Ohio
“"Real" seafood far from the ocean”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

This restaurant impresses me enough to bring friends visiting from out of town. In addition to standard menu items, they serve non-standard fish, when available. For example, I enjoyed a meal of Pompano, which I last saw in Florida. This is not a chain, and the restaurant's individuality is refreshing. Décor is very pleasant, and the food and service was impressive. The restaurant can get crowded, so show up early for dinner.

• Visited March 2012