“FINALLY, a visit to Paul Laurence Dunbar's Home” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Museums
Attraction Details
Cape Town Central, South Africa
6 attraction reviews
“FINALLY, a visit to Paul Laurence Dunbar's Home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Visit to the home of Paul Laurence Dunbar, Dayton, Ohio:

As I was planning my first trip to Dayton, Ohio, to visit a friend, whom I had not seen in 12 years, I knew that I needed and wanted to visit the Dunbar Museum. As I was reading through the information on the museum, warm memories of the lines from, The Master Player, and We wear the Mask, came to mind…and after reading, Among items on display are Dunbar's bicycle built by the Wright brothers…, I was looking forward to viewing the bicycle…and, further, when I read that also in high school, Dunbar became friends with Orville and Wilbur Wright, who helped Dunbar build a bicycle, that further piqued my curiousity.

First, we viewed a video on Mr Dunbar’s life and afterwards, our superb guide, Josh, took us around the Visitor Centre, before walking us through the Dunbar home. We were a very small group and we asked many questions.

The guide, presented excellent and detailed information about Mr Dunbar, how he bought the house for his mother, as well as the plot next to the house, so that she would not feel ‘crowded’; he also told us how the Orville brothers arranged for Mr Dunbar’s body to be moved to a ‘better’ part of the cemetery so that he could have a dignified burial site and how the brothers also buried his late sister, Elizabeth (who died at the age of three), and later his mother, Matilda, in the same area. Josh shared so many cherished and personal details of Mr Dunbar that I do not wish to spoil it, if any of the readers plan to visit…trust me, it is worth a visit.

I had not visited a museum in a very long time, but came away feeling warm and sad – the guide and visit were excellent; I was sad that Paul Dunbar died at such an early age, and I just loved one of his photographs, where he looks like someone’s little brother and that left me with a warm and fuzzy feeling; then…the bicycle, which I was so happy to see. The feelings that I needed and wanted to visit the Dunbar Home more than met my expectations…two thumbs up…to Josh and the Museum.

We visited the Dunbar Museum on Friday, 28 September 2012.

Visited September 2012

Terre Haute
48 attraction reviews
“Amazing accomplishments”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

This man accomplished much in his short life time. His success was well deserved.

Visited July 2012
Wilmington, DE
17 attraction reviews
“not much there”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

We were disappointed. There was not a lot about Mr. Dunbar. We walked away empty handed.

Visited March 2012
Dayton, Ohio
12 attraction reviews
“House where time stands still”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

You can see how Mr. Dunbar lived and where he wrote. The upstairs shows his desk and bedroom. It is an educational experience not to miss.

Visited April 2011
Dayton, Ohio
3 attraction reviews
“Little known Dayton History”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

Many people who live in the neighorhood doesn't know the rich history there.

Been to Paul Laurence Dunbar House? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Paul Laurence Dunbar House, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.

Bookmark for later