“Excellent espresso & friendly service” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 684 Restaurants in Dayton
Cuisines: Coffee Shop
DeWitt, Michigan
“Excellent espresso & friendly service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

I'm picky about my espresso, the staff treat every customer like they are there only customer. I came here because of the rave reviews on TA, and was not let down. I had an Espresso Con Panna, and they give you a shot of seltzer for after you finish your drink. I returned everyday of our trip.

Visited August 2013

Dayton, Ohio
“Great coffee, great charm.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

The espresso shots are worth a visit by themselves. Served with a shooter of sparkling water to refresh with after, it is touches like this that set ghostlight apart. Also they cold brew their iced coffee, and it is wonderful! They take the time to know you and talk to you as well. Very welcoming!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles, California
“Killed by espresso”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

I had a shot of espresso here that absolutely floored me. Rich, creamy, thick and succulent; I haven't been the same since. Some say I've become a ghost since that day, haunting coffee shops looking for an equally good shot. I may never find another (unless I return to D8N, that is).

• Visited March 2013
Dayton, Ohio, United States
“We are coffee-rich in Dayton!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

When I saw renovations going on for this coffeehouse on the eastern margin of the historic South Park neighborhood, I was skeptical. Dayton has had more failed coffeehouses than I can remember, and this one was opening just minutes away from Press Coffee Bar--about which, see my previous review here. So I worried that the competition and the size of the market would doom one or both locations.

When they opened, there were so many similarities that my fears deepened. Ghostlight, like Press is sited in a building with 100-year-old charm. Both appeal to hip people cognizant that national coffee chains over-roast and over-price. Both offer a full range of coffee and espresso beverages, a range of tea, and a selection of pastries. Both display the work of local artists. Both have similar prices.

Well, happily my fears seem to have been baseless. Both locations are doing OK, and it seems to me that they perform slightly different functions. Press churns out some of the finest brew anywhere, every beverage on their menu is out of this world--but their shop is smallish and rather dark. Ghostlight is uneven in coffee quality, but they have a much more spacious, comfortable facility.

On the subject of coffee quality, Ghostlight, as noted, is up and down. The highest marks go to their espresso, thick and earthy with a citrus kick that lights up the mouth and makes you pucker. Even better, they provide a shot glass of seltzer water, which they carbonate themselves--and I can taste the difference. On the downside, I've tried their flavored coffee (they featured different flavors monthly) and I tasted a very average cup of joe with very little added flavor--and adding sugar didn't enhance it.

So my decision is based on my situation. If I want the finest cup of caffeine in the world I'll go out of my way to Press and maybe carry it out. If I'm in a group of more than 4, I'll suggest Ghostlight, where we can combine several tables--and I'll order espresso or latte or cappuccino or similar. Two places close to me, each excellent in its own way. Almost an embarrassment of quality!

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dayton, Ohio
“New Favorite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Ghostlight is a local coffee house that opened a few years ago. Firstly, the coffee is great, and that should be enough. However, the atmosphere is also peaceful and quirky, displaying local art. The available baked goods from a local bakery is another plus. Live music lots of evenings, friendly service, and excellent product make Ghostlight a Dayton treasure.

• Visited January 2013