“Average, with room to improve” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #36 of 687 Restaurants in Dayton
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, Turkish
Good for: Romance, Outdoor seating, Scenic view
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Description: Pasha Grill offers a refreshingly new dining experience, combining the finest in Mediterranean fusion cuisine and an affordable and creative selection of wine and specialty coctails. Three course lunch special Mon-Fri 11am to 3pm. Private rooms avaliable for business meetings. Free wifi. We cater.
“Average, with room to improve”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

I have eaten here several times now, so this is a compilations of visits. I should start by saying that I absolutely love Turkey and have been there several times, so I really want this place to improve - as it is now, it's average. Overall the service has been good, especially my last visit which was dinner.

We enjoyed the appetizer menu, all of them were good, the hummus is fine, but they do not have any pita bread, for anything on the menu including the kebobs. If you ask for it, you get a tortilla - no I'm not kidding. They have some rustic thick bread for dipping in the hummus and the oil and it is excellent, but really I want some great pita bread. If they could do the "tongue" bread that they make near Adana with cheese and garlic, I'd eat there every week....but alas all you get it a thin crisped up tortilla...crazy. Maybe because upstairs is the Mexican restaurant?

I was really disappointed in the Adana kebob and will not order this again, ever. The sides are all very plain and not all that flavorful really. Fortunately we ordered the full spread of appetizers so I wasn't starving. I didn't finish the kebob or the rest of the plate for more than three bites and gave it away to a friend as a doggie bag. I ordered baklava for desert and it was also just average to below average. The other deserts looked better and I'll try something else next time.

I will eat there again I'm sure, mostly because someone else picks it to try. I enjoyed the wine selection and the appetizers altho they should add an olive plate to the menu, and fix the lack of pita bread. I will probably just order appetizers wine and dessert next time, sounds like a good plan. I really hope they improve.

The atmosphere is very nice, and here is where I give it an above average score. Inside there are alcoves along the sides that make dining very very pleasant. They have a covered outside dining area that is very nice as well - great in warm weather.

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Columbia, Maryland
“An Enjoyable Lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

Nice atmosphere and very good food. Maybe a little pricey on some items, but not bad at all. The "rice pilaf" is just white rice with butter, no herbs/spices or anything, very plain - just a heads up. Otherwise a pleasant meal, they make a decent falafel, and if you have a sweet tooth, the almond pudding is quite good. Waiter was pretty neutral and service time was reasonable, so no complaints there. Would return if in the area.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Mokena, Illinois
“No Service :(”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

I wanted to try this place so bad. I tried on three different visits. I could get a table - but then no one would ever come back. I waited 15 minutes and left. Those who do get service rave about the food. I love some donors and miss turkish food. Not sure if/when I will give this place another shot.

Visited September 2013
Eastern NC
“Fun Turkish food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We shared the cold appeatizer plate and the lamb entree. The service was attentive and helpful in explaining the menu offerings. We liked all the appetizers plenty to share for two, Perfect when paired with one entree even if you are hungry. Nice afternoon so we were able to sit in the outside dining area.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dayton, Ohio, United States
“Flawless Turkish”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Dayton is benefiting recently from an influx of immigrants from Turkey. These good people have moved into our neighborhoods and worked hard to improve their home (we all benefit from increased property values), to contribute to community activities, and to share their culture. So, like previous times when a massive influx from another land came upon us (Viet Nam, for instance) we're now able to enjoy a good Turkish restaurant.

Unlike their Viet predecessors, who tended to start restaurants in out-of-the-way low-rent locations, Pasha Grill occupies a spot in the area's most ritzy retail development, The Greene. This is a mixed residential and commercial complex that's meant to resemble a downtown area from 50 years ago--no mall interior, on-street metered parking (free parking in surrounding lots and garages if you prefer), lots of store-fronts. I have mixed feelings about whether our citizens should pull together and return our city centers to this condition.

We went to Pasha at the start of Dayton's restaurant week, seven days when area restaurants that want to promote themselves join with the Miami Valley Restaurant Association to advertise special menus priced according to what year it is ($20.13 for appetizer, entree, dessert--in a few places, $25.13 or $30.13--still a bargain). In the past I've found that some restaurants perform spectacularly on restaurant week but let you down when you go back later--others fall flat in restaurant week but shine otherwise. Pasha was offering about half of its regular menu at the $20.13 cost, and so I feel comfortable drawing conclusions about them here.

The staff is friendly and prompt, and the restaurant is comfortable. We got a table on the patio, pleasantly on an unusually cool July day. My wife got a glass of Turkish red wine, which she pronounced good; I had the Turkish tea, which is glorified if you add one packet of sweetenter.

We received a bowl of crusty bread to start, with a very tasty tomato dipping oil. My appetizer was the Sheppard Salad, a tasty mix of diced tomato, cucumber, red onion, bell pepper, and parsley in red wine and vinegar; alas, raw onions no longer agree with my stomach and I had to let part of it go, regretfully. My wife raved about the haydari, yogurt with dill, mint, garlic and walnuts.

For the entrees, I went for the adana kebab, seasoned ground lamb formed into a long sausage and of course grilled on a skewer. Very tasty, it came with a plain rice pilaf, some properly steamed broccoli, and some very interesting caramelized carrot slices with onions. My wife opted for grilled shrimp and enjoyed them.

I was a little disappointed that they were out of the almond pudding dessert; I tried a bit of my wife's rice pudding, it was sweet and creamy.

I don't expect that this will become one of my favorite dining places, but for what they want to be, they're doing everything right. When I'm up for a change of pace with good quality and reasonable prices, I'll certainly be thinking of Pasha.

• Visited July 2013