“Move-in for UD” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Dayton Grand Hotel

You added Dayton Grand Hotel to your Saves list
Dayton Grand Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   11 South Ludlow Street, Dayton, OH 45402 (Formerly Doubletree)   |
Ranked #30 of 45 Hotels in Dayton
Chicago, Illinois
“Move-in for UD”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

This hotel was centrally located near the university, and had several resturants nearby. The staff was kind and helpful. Average breakfast fare in the morning. We stayed in the king suite..and that was a great room.

Room Tip: ask for the king suite
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Mark H, General Manager at Dayton Grand Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Location, location, location right?!?! Being in downtown Dayton puts us in the center of a city that is starting its rebound. The new local restaurants bring an exciting energy to the area and our proximity to both the University of Dayton and Sinclair Community College make us the perfect place to stay when visiting downtown.
We’ve got some exciting renovations and improvements planned as well so I hope you visit us again soon!!
Thank you for sharing your feedback!
Mark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Jefferson City, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

Do not recommend; very outdated and nothing in vacinity to do; pool and restaurant were closed; rated 4 stars but should be 2 at most; do not stay here; super 8 is much better; no shopping in vicinity; few restaurants and those are below average; not clean

• Stayed August 2013
Well you clearly were not impressed with the downtown Dayton area. As much as I would like to disagree…I can’t. Downtown Dayton is in transition and unfortunately is not at its best right now. With that said, there are a number of new restaurants within walking distance of the hotel as well as some well known chain stores and restaurants within a 15 minute drive.
The Dayton area has its challenges, but it has taken some bold steps to improve the area and that’s why we are optimistic about being a part of this community.
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Based on some of the negative reviews, I was worried about choosing the Dayton Grand. But we stayed two nights, and everything was fine.

Apparently this hotel used to be a Doubletree - based on a sign in the valet parking area. The new owners appear to be in the middle of making updates. For example, the pool and restaurant were closed. We knew about these ahead of time, and the hotel had a pretty nice discount as a result.

The room was pretty decent-sized. There was an open area that gave a little room. There was a spot on the dresser-area for a refrigerator, but there was no refrigerator. Not a big deal for us, but made us think this was part of new owners making renovations. The bathroom was typical, and was nice and clean.

Really, the only downside of our trip was the pool being closed. Also, there isn't any free parking nearby. Plan on spending an extra $12/night for valet parking.

We chose the Dayton Grand because it was cheaper of the two downtown hotels. But it was close to some great restaurants, cost effective, and was quite comfortable. We would certainly stay here again on our trips to Dayton.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Well I’m glad to see that we exceeded your expectations although it doesn’t sound like they were all that high to start? With that said, anytime you can have that kind of positive impression…I’ll TAKE IT!!!
You’re right; we are in the process of changing management and will be converting to a DoubleTree by Hilton. We are excited about all the improvements and changes in our future, but unfortunately that change has its downside. Not having the pool, restaurant, or bar open is not ideal for us and of course not ideal for you our guest and we realize that. The renovations that we have planned for those areas will prove worth the wait I’m sure.
I’m glad to hear that you’ll be back to stay with us in the future. We are looking forward to your return and seeing us after our transformation.
Glenview, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

The hotel in and of itself was okay, and close to the University. What we hadn't counted on was the building next door being detonated and and blown up/demolished the morning after we arrived. My husband arrived before me and our first room wasn't made up, so we were sent to the 9th floor. I asked for a wake up call at 6:30am as the demolition was to take place at 7:15. The only wake up we got was from the dynamite being set off and the building (not more than 15 feet from our room) collapsing in the morning. Once the fire alarms went off from the dust, I was really scared. Unnerving to say the least. I do believe that the room we were in wasn't even supposed to be occupied due to safety reasons. We were on the very end of the hall next to the Schwind building. Were we placed in room 929 by mistake? Very scary.

Room Tip: I actually have a room booked here again for UD parents weekend. There is a lot of renovation going...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
You can say that again…”interesting to say the least!!” In my 20+ years in the hotel business I have never had the building next to my hotel imploded so it was a first for all of us. I am NOT looking forward to it ever being part of my career again!!
Unfortunately, we had little to no say in the project, its planning, or its execution and as a result, we were unable to control many aspects. With that said, we did all that we were asked to do, plus we took what we thought would be extra safety measures to help ensure the safety of our guests. Unfortunately those additional safety recommendations were at the very least, inconvenient.
The demolition of the building was the downside of what we believe is a very positive step in the revitalization of downtown Dayton. Change is never easy and is sometimes messy, but when we come out on the other side we will be better for it.
I have been assured that although there will be additional demolition, it will not impact us in the way that this implosion has so your next visit for UD parent’s weekend will certainly be less eventful.
Thank you for your feedback and we are looking forward to your return in September.
Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

...though I continue to look for a better rate. I've stayed twice, once in July 2011, once in July 2013 - both visits satisfactory. The rooms are decent and small as this place is Dayton, OH-historical. Walking distance to Masque; a place to lay your head. The staff impressed me from check in to check out last visit. Free breakfast that I slept through, therefore cannot review, so in lieu I must shout out - they didn't give me trouble with late check out, much appreciated. Free street parking everywhere, if you don't mind a drive around the perimeter and a short walk to save some bucks. I will stay again and recommend.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Mark H, General Manager at Dayton Grand Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Great to hear that you had a good stay with us!! You seem to know your way around Dayton which is big help when visiting...good for you!!
Glad to hear that you'll stay with us again, thank you, and a BIG thank you for saying that you would recommend us to others...that's awesome!!!!!

Hope to see you back soon.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

When we arrived, the only option was to valet our car. Prior to our arrival, I had counted out $6 for the tolls we would hit the next day in West Virginia and placed the money in the side of the passenger door. The next morning, they bring us our car and we leave. When we get to WV, I went to get the money to find $3 missing!! Because of this, my husband and I had to find an exit with an atm to withdrawl money for the tolls and pay an additional $2.50 service charge!
The overall hotel was ok...there were some rough looking individuals hanging out in front of the hotel that night and the room hadn't been vacummed. I would recommend staying somewhere else!

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for your feedback. My experience with them has been nothing but professional and responsible. This is VERY unusual feedback and the first that I have been made aware of. I will share your comments with the valet company that we have hired to provide that service.
Regarding the “rough individuals hanging out in front of the building”, we have made great progress, with the help of the Dayton Police, to minimize that activity on our property. It is an ongoing process and one that we are committed to.
Your room not being vacuumed is not acceptable and I have shared your comments with my Executive Housekeeper to ensure that it is addressed and corrected moving forward.
It is unfortunate that you are set on not returning to the hotel. Should you change your mind and decide to give us another try, we’ll be here waiting to take good care of you.
Dayton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Just a really nice place to stay. I stayed there this past spring when I was having my home remodeled. They took such good care of me and I was definitely impressed. Pleasant people and a lovely location. I may go back just to enjoy it again after my house is finished!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for sharing your comments here. It’s great to read that we took such good care of you during your home renovation. I appreciate the kind words and we are looking forward to your coming back to stay with us again!!!

Be well,
Mark

Been to Dayton Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!