“"Enjoyable Stay"” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Dayton Grand Hotel

You added Dayton Grand Hotel to your Saves list
Dayton Grand Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   11 South Ludlow Street, Dayton, OH 45402 (Formerly Doubletree)   |
Ranked #30 of 45 Hotels in Dayton
Batavia, Illinois
“"Enjoyable Stay"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

We stayed recently at the Dayton Grand Hotel while in town for the WGI World Percussion Championships. It was a convenient location and we ate dinner one night at the Spaghetti Warehouse two blocks away. The parking garage does have tight turns, but we were able to handle them with the minivan. The room was clean and we slept good both nights. Staff was friendly and accommodating. This is a 3-star hotel, so we didn't expect anything more. Would not hesitate to stay here again next year. Only complaint was the elevators sometimes made strange noises and we did see a couple of "questionable" ladies when we returned late one night.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Mark H, General Manager at Dayton Grand Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback here on Trip advisor!
I was pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us even though your expectations of us weren’t all that high. For now…I’ll take it!!
Your comments concerning the elevator are true, there are some…”interesting noises” that were known to come from our elevators. We used to like to say that they had “character” but we figured that wasn’t the most comforting place to have “character.”
We are in the process of replacing and repairing many aspects of the hotel that “have character” and the elevators are on that list. As a matter of fact we’ve already made a sizable invest in repairing them with more improvements to come!
Regarding the “questionable ladies” you say you noticed, I have to admit that may very well have been the case. What I can tell you is that the Dayton Grand is in the process of changing ownership and we are committed to the future of this hotel. Make no mistake, that “clientele” has no place in this hotel and I am using all my resources, including the local authorities, to discourage and eliminate it as best I can.
I am glad to see that you would give us another try if in town again, I appreciate your loyalty.
FYI-we will be beginning the process of converting to a DoubleTree by Hilton in the fall and target the project be completed by the end of the year…more exciting things to look forward to!!
Thank you again for your feedback and we’re looking forward to your return.
Best regards,
Mark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Sturgis, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We arrived to the hotel at night, and it was creepy. The parking garage had very little lighting and no hotel access except at ground level, so you had to walk down many levels. As we walked down 5 levels with our hands full, we kept looking over our shoulders. There were some shady-looking characters hanging around in the parking garage, so that was a little unsettling. The rooms were dark and not very clean. Looked like a very outdated hotel. There was no toilet paper in the bathroom when we arrived, although they did bring some up right away.
Instead of taking the elevator, I took the stairs, which was a mistake. It was like something out of a scary movie. One turn led me into a dark boiler room - it was confusing on where to come out at. Also, the pool was not working, although I was told that ahead of time.
Overall, I was very disappointed. It was supposed to be a "girls getaway" with my sisters and my mother, but none of us were comfortable. I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Mark H, General Manager at Dayton Grand Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments here on Tripadvisor.
In reading through your comments I can’t help but agree with your observations. With that said, I can tell you that we are in the process of an ownership change and the parking garage has already been addressed. We implemented mandatory valet parking and have brought on a professional valet company to handle our parking facility. This change improves our parking situation a couple different ways. First, no longer will you need to worry about navigating the parking levels. You pull up, an attendant meets you, you unload your luggage/belongings, and the attendant takes your car off to be parked…nice and simple. Secondly, the valet attendants provide a presence and help control those “shady characters” you mention.
I have been at this hotel for about 6 weeks and I can tell you, Tripadvisor as my testament, this hotel has its share of issues and concerns. I can assure you that my top priority is to work hard with my team to improve the guest experience at the Dayton Grand Hotel. Many significant steps have been taken already and many, many more are in the works. We are making major improvements to the hotels’ heating and ventilation systems to ensure that we keep you cool when it’s hot and warm when it’s cold. We are overhauling our guest elevators so they operate as they are expected to, and making major improvements to our indoor pool.
In addition to the renovations we are undertaking, we are in the process of converting our hotel to a DoubleTree by Hilton! We are excited and looking forward to this conversion and are looking forward to its completion.
Thank you again for your feedback and I hope based on what I’ve shared here, you might find you way to give us another try in the future…
Best regards,
Strongsville, OH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We booked 2 King Suite rooms here for University of Dayton graduation because this was the only hotel with available space and allowing a one night stay. After reading online reviews, we braced for a poor experience. Fortunately, our experience was pleasant. The rooms were clean and well appointed. The bathrooms was very small, but everything worked just fine and our floor was nice and quiet. We heard that parking might be a problem, however we were able to find parking spaces available. Although I would not feel safe walking or running in the neighborhood around this hotel. I believe we had a much better deal than others staying in other hotels near the campus. I will call this a win!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Mark H, General Manager at Dayton Grand Hotel, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Better than expected isn’t a home run, but it’s a hit so I’ll take it…for now.
I can’t dispute what you’ve heard/read here online unfortunately. All those things, at one time, probably were true. I’m pleased to read that your experience was better than those that came before and I can tell you that we are working hard to make your next stay, “Awesome, just as I expected!”
One of the many improvements we’ve made is that we’ve implemented mandatory valet parking so no more hunting for parking spots and walking through the garage.
As far as the surrounding area, that unfortunately I don’t have as much control over. What I can tell you is that we are committed to providing a safe and secure hotel experience. That means that we have been aggressive with those that “don’t belong” on our property and I am prepared to use all resources available to me to so.
We are going through an extensive renovation and conversion to a DoubleTree by Hilton. We are all excited about the upcoming improvements and changes so I hope that you’ll come back and give us a chance to WOW you!!
Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Air conditioning barely worked and was noisy, elevators were scary, suspicious stains on furniture in the room, worst parking structure ever, not enough desk help. Worst place we ever stayed in.

Do yourself a favor ....... stay somewhere else!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Not sure that there’s anything that I could say here that would get you to try us again, but I can tell you, that may have been who we “were” but it is not who we “are” now.
We have invested a substantial amount of money, with more to come, to fix those very things that you mentioned. We have plans to make major repairs to the main chilling system that cools the building as well as the individual units that cool different areas throughout the building. The elevators are in the first stages of a major overhaul that will improve the feel and sound of the ride. The parking garage is on the list too. We implemented mandatory valet parking so that you never need to walk through the garage. You drop your car at the entrance and come on in; valet will take it from there. We will be resurfacing and making other improvements in the garage as well.
As far as the service is concerned, there are few things more important to me than training my people so that they are best prepared to service guests. I have been here about 7 weeks and it has been amongst my top priorities to improve the guest experience…period! That means hiring not necessarily more people, but the right people and training them thoroughly. I agree, some areas need additional manpower and I will address those needs as well.
The Dayton Grand that you visited back in May is not the Dayton Grand of today.
Thank you for your feedback and I hope someday you might find your way to giving us another try.
Be well,
Silver Lake, OH
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

The hotel looked lovely online. The rooms were just like the pictures, but, the hotel was in financial difficulty and the owner was selling out. The cooling system wasn't working, most rooms had been robbed of things like coffee pots, hairdryers, refrigerators were missing, luggage racks were missing, and the indoor pool was and had been out of order for months. They didn't post that online.

Room Tip: I don't believe there is a good room there. Unless travelers camp at the front desk until the r...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your feedback.
The fact of the matter is that the hotel is in the process of changing ownership and unfortunately, the past is something that I can’t change, nor can I change a first impression.
What I can tell you is that we are committed to this hotel, and have already made a substantial financial commitment to its improvement…with more to come! We will be completely renovating the pool, overhauling the elevators, making major repairs to the heating and cooling systems, renovating our restaurant and lounge outlets, and have begun the process of converting to a DoubleTree by Hilton. We are all excited about the renovations and improvements so I hope if you find yourself in Dayton again, you’ll give us another try.
Fort Wayne, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I don't believe that I have ever been in a more disgusting hotel. We stayed overnight this past weekend on a groupon offer. Yikes! From now on, before I buy a groupon for a hotel, I will look here for reviews. Besides being disgusting, it was also eerie. We rarely saw anyone! There was no housekeeping and no one at the desk! The parking garage was scary. We had to park on the 4th floor and walk all the way down on the ramps. No stairs here! There was absolutely nothing "grand" about Dayton Grand Hotel.
If you are trying to save money, stay at a motel 6. I'm sure it will be better than this one.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
I have been at this hotel for about 7 weeks now and I can tell you, reading these reviews is depressing…can’t lie about that. With that said I read the reviews before coming to Dayton and came anyway because I believe in the commitment that my company has to this hotel and this team.
We have already made a substantial financial commitment to its improvement. We will be completely renovating the pool, overhauling the elevators, and making major repairs to the heating and cooling systems. We have implemented mandatory valet parking so that you don’t need to navigate the parking garage again. Drop your car off at the entrance and valet takes it from there.
We have also have begun the process of converting to a DoubleTree by Hilton so our entire building will be getting a needed refresh.
We realize that if you want different results, you have to change how you operate and we have done exactly that!
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Please stay with me, as the review I am about to give will be quite lengthy, but the details of my experience need to be shared to understand the horror of this hotel. Please also note that I travel for my job and have stayed at many lovely hotels, which I have also reviewed on Trip-Advisor.

When I checked into the Dayton Grand, I immediately had to change rooms twice before settling into my 3rd room. The first room was on the 8th floor and stunk of stale cigarette smoke. The 2nd room was the size of a broom closet and had no ventilation what so ever and no windows that opened either. This hotel knew they had a big group coming, and yet I had to ask them to turn on the cooling system?! Which by the way still only worked in certain rooms; ridiculous. By this time, I had realized that the elevators were not only slow, but scary. They made an awful sound (like an old roller coaster) and they made for a bumpy ride. Note to self: take the stairs as often as possible. The 3rd room I was given was a room for people who were handicapped (I didn't want to take this room either but it was the only room left at this point). I could deal with a room that was sparsely furnished and had white stains on the wall. It did bother me that at 2am I could hear the ice machine, but I could deal with it. What I could NOT deal with was the disgusting bathroom. There were yellow stains on the ceiling (a former leak from above not fixed?), and a corroded shower drain (I wore my flip flops at all times). To top it all off, the shower didn't drain properly, flooded out my bathroom and I ended up washing the conditioner out of my hair in the sink. For this, I went to management, was given 1 free night (thank you) and was given a new room.

Are you still with me? I hope so. Because here come the bed bugs. Yes. BED BUGS. I was barely settled into room number 4 for one night when I realized I had bites on me. I checked the bed, saw the blood stains on the mattress and was able to grab a bug in a cup. I went downstairs to tell management & staff who were of course "horrified" and said this "never happens." Now you may be asking yourself, "why did she stay?" Well believe you me, had there been any availability in downtown Dayton, I would have moved days earlier, but there were lots of conventions going on (which is a whole other separate story). Who knew Dayton was so popular?!

So with that, I was given a key to a room on the 9th floor. I grabbed my stuff (luckily I never really unpacked), and headed down to what was promised to me as a lovely room. I will never know if it was a lovely room because the front desk gave me a key to a room that was already being used. As a matter of fact, there was an actual party taking place with streamers and everything. By this time it was well after 12am, I was exhausted from a full day of work, and losing patience.

I got back on the elevator and long story short- I got stuck on the dang elevator!! Now, it was only for a minute- but after all I had been through it was a minute too long. I went down to the front desk to explain what had happened. I was given yet another room key and sent on my way. Needless to say I wasn't pleased. Not only was I NOT compensated for this night, I wasn't even given an apology. The general manager was more concerned about the mix up in rooms than anything else. When I tried to explain what had happened in the elevator, the manager made excuses for why the elevator had broken down (too many people squeezing on); however THAT wasn't the elevator I had been stuck on (I was stuck on the so called "working" elevator!).

The Dayton Grand is an independent hotel which from what I have gathered, is being taken over by the Hilton. In my opinion, it should be shut down until full repairs and renovations can be made. The hotel is not only the dirtiest I have stayed at, but it is unsafe. The elevators need to be inspected immediately before someone gets hurt. Even the computers at the front desk kept freezing on the desk clerks! The general manager Karen Cyphers is completely overwhelmed and for lack of a better word "useless." My company manager reached out to the manager after we left with no response. This hotel needs an entire revamp of its staff and management.

Room Tip: Rooms with windows that open for better ventilation (there are a few).
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Mark H, General Manager at Dayton Grand Hotel, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback here on Tripadvisor.
Clearly you do NOT enjoy your stay with us, no grey area there. Rather than speak to each of the many specifics you point out, I would rather speak the improvements that we’ve made and plan to still make.
You mention that we are in the process of converting to a Hilton branded hotel which is true. We have been approved, and will be converting to a DoubleTree by Hilton by late 2013, more realistically, early 2014. With that said, we have already invested a substantial amount of capital to improve the building and service prior to the conversion. We have implemented mandatory valet parking to help elevate the challenges that our previous parking situation presented, made significant improvements to our heating and cooling system with major upgrades still to come, approved plans to renovate our indoor pool and pool area, and our food and beverage outlets will get a complete makeover and concept change. Along with all the cosmetic change that have and will occur, our renewed focus on the guest experience is what I think you will notice has changed the most. We realize that all those other things won’t make a difference if the service we provide does not exceed your expectations. I have been at this hotel about 2 months and I can tell you that my team has bought into our goals and I’ve seen improvements already.
At the end of the day, no matter what I say or think matters…it’s your opinion that matters. I can only hope that you give us another try so that we can show to you how far we’ve come. My goal is that the next time you stay with us, your review of us here on Tripadvisor is a 5 out 5!!
Mark

Been to Dayton Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!