“Nothing Grand about this hotel” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Dayton Grand Hotel

You added Dayton Grand Hotel to your Saves list
Dayton Grand Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   11 South Ludlow Street, Dayton, OH 45402 (Formerly Doubletree)   |
Ranked #29 of 45 Hotels in Dayton
Indianapolis
“Nothing Grand about this hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I had a simple one night stay booked at this hotel because the surrounding hotels were sold out. The parking garage is tight and had to go up six flights to find a spot. No elevator - so you ahve to carry your luggage down the steps.

The lobby was a furnance when I walked in. They had no record of my reservation even after I showed them the confirmation email. The staff responding and checked me in and gave a decent rate. I was assured the A/C was working in the rooms. It wasn't. I was told that technicians were on-site and it would be fixed shortly. Went to dinner for a few hours, came back and still about 85 degrees in the room. The pool was also not operational. Only one elevator was working. I checked out and left - they didn't charge me.

The room itself was clean but the place is old and dated. I won't be back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Charleston, West Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Reviews on travelocity described this as a nice walking distance to theaters. The walk to the theaters was scarey and unsafe. Would have left based on the parking garage..run down and no elevator...no valet. The room looked roomy and clean but had this overpowering citrus smell which when it wore off you could smell the sour smell it had been covering. Elevator was slow and dirty. Pool was closed and moldy. I haven't stayed in a hotel this bad since I was a poor college student. Stay away!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Albuquerque, New Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Stayed 3 night at the Grand Hotel the First Four NCAA Tournament in Dayton. Hotel room is large, clean and comfortable. Internet is solid. Little trouble with housekeeping restocking coffee and when I reported it to Front Desk (Night Shift) response was excuse making. They did however provide me coffee packets for the morning from the front desk :-)

Area is Downtown and appears to be a little sketchy. There is a parking garage is provided (be warned that there is no elevator in the parking garage) at no extra charge and the location is within walking distance (3 blocks) to the Oregon District for dining, libations and music. I made the walk and was only hit up for money once :-).

Easy access to Airport, Air Force Museum (a must visit), Wright Brothers Cycle (NPS), and Dayton Arena.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

My trip:

I arrived at the parking garage.... NO ELEVATOR!!! Walked down 5 floors to the desk. Got my room key. Got on the elevator... Almost died when the elevator door opened half way then started shaking on the second floor. Walked to the six floor. The room has beat up furniture and a sub par view. No fan in the bathroom. Don't stay here unless you are expecting a crappy hotel

• Stayed April 2013
Shreveport, Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

This hotel apparently used to be a Doubletree, but is now an Indy in downtown Dayton, OH. Upon arriving, the parking deck was full, but we gave it a shot. We got all the way to the top and found a spot. What we didn't find is an elevator. We had to haul the luggage down from the 5th floor. When we checked in, the receptionist was very friendly and helpful in assisting with things to do nearby. When we got to the room, we found all the pillows on the bed with no pillow cases. Weird, but they fixed it. Room was decent, A/C didn't work and bathroom was small. But overall for the value, this was not a bad place. They need to figure out the parking situation, but it wouldn't be a deal killer to stay there again. And the staff being friendly was very important - with that, you can overlook some of the other missing things.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

Everything about this stay was "nightmarish"!
Parking, room service, elevators, cleanliness, staff, everything terrible! Would have been better off to have stayed in the car, seriously. Heard the hotel has been sold, not sure if this is new owners or old owners that simply don't care about the property any longer. If this is the new owners, they won't last long!

• Stayed March 2013
Dayton, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I spent this past weekend at the Dayton Grand Hotel with my boyfriend. We stayed Friday night until Sunday. The hotel wasn't horrible, but it wasn't the nicest one either. The staff was very friendly and check-in was very easy and simple. Check-out was also very smooth and they were okay with letting us stay a little bit longer.

The room we had was the single King size bedroom which was pretty nice. A couple things we didn't like was how small the bathroom was and how tiny the shower was. Also, if you plan on staying at this hotel when it is colder outside, try to get on a lower floor! We were so hot in our room because of the heat rising from lower rooms. We had the setting on the coldest we could to try to cool our room down, but nothing helped. I was miserable trying to sleep sometimes so that was pretty annoying. I'm sure in the warmer months it would be hot as well on the top floors. If you're looking for a good, plentiful breakfast, this also isn't the place. They just have bread (bagels, english muffins, toast, etc.), plain oatmeal, yogurt, and some juice and coffee to eat and drink. I was also hoping for a pool to swim in and the pool would be nice if it was working. It was shut down while we were there. They did have a pretty decent workout facility for a hotel though. Another issue was the parking garage. It was kind of scary driving up the narrow aisles and there is no elevator to carry your bags, so if you have to park more towards the top, which is likely because there isn't much parking, you will have to carry your bags all the way back down. Therefore, if you go by yourself, it could be a little creepy walking through there.

Overall it wasn't a horrible hotel, but it wasn't the best either. I don't believe that I would stay there there again at least not on the higher floors. I would definitely want to look for a different place before I would choose this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Dayton Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!