“Only 1 HUGE complaint” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Dayton Grand Hotel

Save Saved
You added Dayton Grand Hotel to your Saves list
Dayton Grand Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   11 South Ludlow Street, Dayton, OH 45402 (Formerly Doubletree)   |
Ranked #30 of 46 Hotels in Dayton
Louisville, Kentucky, United States
“Only 1 HUGE complaint”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

PLEASE, DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE PARKING!!

I really enjoyed my visit. Check in was fast and easy.The room was comfortable and clean, The bathroom was spotless.
The staff was accommodating to us when we asked for a late check out because we had been out celebrating the arrival of the New Year.
HOWEVER..The parking situation was a nightmare! The garage was way too small, dirty, unsafe, and most of all inconvenient! We had to drag our luggage down 4 floors of the parking garage! I was just happy I was with my husband and not alone...I would not have felt safe and would have asked for my money back and went to a different hotel.
All in all I would recommend this hotel to someone who is not that concerned with parking.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
DENVER
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

The last time we stayed there was 5 years ago, and since then we've tried the old Marriott down by Old River and the Crowne Plaza and both of those options are VERY tired, so I thought the Dayton Grand was worth another try...especially since the price was very affordable compared to the newer Mariott Courtyard over by the basketball arena. As others have reported the garage is a little strange...but it is free and your car has covered parking (we didn't rely on the valet). The front desk staff was friendly and responsive. The woman who checked me out very early this morning even ran into the kitchen and got me a much appreciated "to go" cup of coffee. Our room on the 8th floor was clean and comfortable...nothing to write home about but certainly as nice as the Crowne Plaza or the old Marriott (if they haven't been updated recently). Downtown Dayton is very dead...so don't go here expecting to walk around downtown and find fun restaurants to try. There are some good restaurants in Dayton, you just need to get in your car to get to them. We attended a ceremony over at the courthouse which we could walk to from the hotel, and our family is in Oakwood and Kettering, making this a convenient location. It's also a very easy trip to the airport - very nice if you are on the 6:45 am flight. I'd stay here again, but I am not expecting to be wowed...just want a clean room in a location that is convenient to the places I visit while in Dayton.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Ludlow...my brother was on the other side of the hotel and looked into a brick...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Cleveland, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

Since I love old downtown hotels I decided to take a chance and book a room at the Dayton Grand Hotel instead of the nearby suburban chain options. Not a good call on my part.

First the positives. The front desk was polite and tried to be responsive.

Now the negatives:
Dim lighting in the basically dingy room. (Bathroom okay).
Heating and air conditioning not working "because its an old hotel that can't adjust to unseasonably warm swings in temperature." Really?
Whirlpool by 7th floor pool didn't work. No towels by pool. Dim and dingy lighting was depressing.
No valet for the car - had to park and walk through an old dark and dingy garage.
Slow Wi-Fi.

It is just depressing to be there.

I hope it can bounce back, as the staff seemed nice and the lobby looks like its been given a near-once over, and it would be good to see something solid in downtown Dayton.

If you are on a budget, it's acceptable and clean, albeit dimly lit and kinda depressing.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
NYNY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I have reviewed this hotel in the past, but since it must be considered a work in progress, a progress report is in order. The Dayton Grand was formerly a Hilton Doubletree property of middling quality. But Hilton pulled out. No great loss in my book, but it probably reduced the bookings, hence the rates, probably causing some major league financial struggles.
But they try, and in today's hotel environment, when practically everyone is a franchise and the average desk employee behaves like a chirpy computer in a cheap suit, somebody who really tries, occasionally fails, but tries and tries again, is refreshing.
Of course, in today's business world, where everyone is so terribly busy, but more often pretends to be busy (you know the type: They sashay down the sidewalk with short, short steps in a tight, tight suit and a cell phone firmly clamped to their ear. But their lips don't move), places like the Dayton Grand have a difficult time getting a hearing. The problem is generally the false dignity of the pretend-busy crowd mentioned above.
But if you need a place to stay in downtown Dayton, especially if payable by you and not a fat expense account, Dayton Grand is excellent. And if they screw up, they tend to make it up to you, which is more than you can expect from the other operators in today's Orwellian travel business.
On this trip I was an escapee from an angry breeze from the Caribbean named Sandy, which persuaded me to skedaddle, since I need electricity to do my job. I stayed for quite a while and the only hiccup was the heating system, but they found me another room pronto.
There are only two major hotels in Dayton. The other is the Crowne Plaza a couple of blocks away, which mainly excels in the degree of snootiness with which their under-trained people treat the guests. Its only commonality with a first-rate hotel is its silly rates. A gyp, I tell you, fellow traveler.
One more thing: They finally reopened the lounge, where a pop at the end of the working day is very reasonably priced.

Room Tip: Try to get 507
Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Newport, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Wife and I stayed a night here in November while visiting some friends. We purchased a groupon for a King Suite for an excellent price. Hotel is located downtown, but the city isn't really active at all at night. No big clubs/restaurants, and it really becomes a ghost town after dark. Room was spacious and clean. Staff was very courteous and was very attentive, but the hotel itself could use some renovations. Maybe it was just a bad weekend, but the pool was in terrible shape. Lights were out making it very dark, and it looked like they hosted a birthday party earlier and never cleaned up. Also, hotel wasn't the most secure, as you could literally walk right into the parking garage from the street level, and take an elevator anywhere in the hotel without anyone at the front desk ever seeing you. Overall, a decent hotel for an overnight stay, but could use some updating.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I’ve stay at this hotel many times over the last few times. When it was a DoubleTree it was very nice but they’ve taken a downward spin over the last 3 months. I didn’t mind when they became the Dayton Grand or the restaurant and bar closed but once they reopened they that was a joke, overpriced food and a lame breakfast. The food at the bar has no taste except for the salt and for the price I would like I would be full not hungry. I rather spend the 25.00 on better food. The breakfast is barebones with no option to even pay for real food. The convenience store at the desk had nothing in it. I was told by the staff they were waiting on an order to come in.
Some rooms are small but most are pretty big. My problem was that a king one week has a fridge in it and the next time doesn’t and the staff doesn’t know where they are. Also the cleanliness has gotten unbearable. I have found hair in my bed the last time, but the empty beer cans in the bathtub was a nice touch.
The parking garage is what it is.
Security is a joke I called the desk to report someone was knocking on my door and trying to get in and they said they couldn’t find security but if I wanted to I could call the police.
I’ll tried to speak with the General Manager a few times, the best time is when she hung up on me telling me to send her an email so the proper person can follow up with me. She I guess she doesn’t deal with problems just passes them on to other people.
This hotel should be closed, if the management doesn’t care about the guest why should we give them our money.

Room Tip: Choose a different Hotel, if you must stay get a room in the newer part.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

We arrives at this hotel on the night of our wedding. We were hoping not to have to park our car, but there was no valet parking. The parking garage was full and we had to park at the top. To our surprise there were no elevators. Imagine walking from 5 stories in heels and a wedding gown. Next we finally get inside and check in. Thinking we were going to finally get to relax, we head to our room. We opened the door and the room had not even been cleaned. GROSSSSSSSS. We go back to the service desk and waited 10 minutes for the woman to get off the phone. She finally called her manager and got us a different room. Heading back to the new room, we ran into the manager and he looks at us and says, "i told her not to send you up yet." At that point...we decided to just leave and to get our money refunded. The staff made no apology or attempt to make up for their lack of service. I highly recommend the establishment be shut down. DO NOT GO THERE.

• Stayed October 2012

Been to Dayton Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!