“Overnight Stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Dayton Grand Hotel

You added Dayton Grand Hotel to your Saves list
Dayton Grand Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   11 South Ludlow Street, Dayton, OH 45402 (Formerly Doubletree)   |
Ranked #31 of 46 Hotels in Dayton
Newport, Kentucky
“Overnight Stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Wife and I stayed a night here in November while visiting some friends. We purchased a groupon for a King Suite for an excellent price. Hotel is located downtown, but the city isn't really active at all at night. No big clubs/restaurants, and it really becomes a ghost town after dark. Room was spacious and clean. Staff was very courteous and was very attentive, but the hotel itself could use some renovations. Maybe it was just a bad weekend, but the pool was in terrible shape. Lights were out making it very dark, and it looked like they hosted a birthday party earlier and never cleaned up. Also, hotel wasn't the most secure, as you could literally walk right into the parking garage from the street level, and take an elevator anywhere in the hotel without anyone at the front desk ever seeing you. Overall, a decent hotel for an overnight stay, but could use some updating.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Cleveland, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I’ve stay at this hotel many times over the last few times. When it was a DoubleTree it was very nice but they’ve taken a downward spin over the last 3 months. I didn’t mind when they became the Dayton Grand or the restaurant and bar closed but once they reopened they that was a joke, overpriced food and a lame breakfast. The food at the bar has no taste except for the salt and for the price I would like I would be full not hungry. I rather spend the 25.00 on better food. The breakfast is barebones with no option to even pay for real food. The convenience store at the desk had nothing in it. I was told by the staff they were waiting on an order to come in.
Some rooms are small but most are pretty big. My problem was that a king one week has a fridge in it and the next time doesn’t and the staff doesn’t know where they are. Also the cleanliness has gotten unbearable. I have found hair in my bed the last time, but the empty beer cans in the bathtub was a nice touch.
The parking garage is what it is.
Security is a joke I called the desk to report someone was knocking on my door and trying to get in and they said they couldn’t find security but if I wanted to I could call the police.
I’ll tried to speak with the General Manager a few times, the best time is when she hung up on me telling me to send her an email so the proper person can follow up with me. She I guess she doesn’t deal with problems just passes them on to other people.
This hotel should be closed, if the management doesn’t care about the guest why should we give them our money.

Room Tip: Choose a different Hotel, if you must stay get a room in the newer part.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We arrives at this hotel on the night of our wedding. We were hoping not to have to park our car, but there was no valet parking. The parking garage was full and we had to park at the top. To our surprise there were no elevators. Imagine walking from 5 stories in heels and a wedding gown. Next we finally get inside and check in. Thinking we were going to finally get to relax, we head to our room. We opened the door and the room had not even been cleaned. GROSSSSSSSS. We go back to the service desk and waited 10 minutes for the woman to get off the phone. She finally called her manager and got us a different room. Heading back to the new room, we ran into the manager and he looks at us and says, "i told her not to send you up yet." At that point...we decided to just leave and to get our money refunded. The staff made no apology or attempt to make up for their lack of service. I highly recommend the establishment be shut down. DO NOT GO THERE.

• Stayed October 2012
Hudson, Ohio, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

This past weekend was Parents weekend at University of Dayton (10-20-12) . I was a little worried after reading some reviews but it was close and cheap(80.00). Make sure if you have a kid at UD book ahead.
The hotel it self wasn't the worst. I have seen worst..Parking garage is a joke, my room had a bobby pin and a dirty tissue with someones makeup on it on the bathroom floor. I never said a word, I thought if that is the worst we can deal with it. Our room was hot as heck, tried messing around with the unit decided to call front desk. Someone came right away, bringing us a fan. He messed around with it said when we came back later it should be cooler. Told us the whole hotel was on a boiler and they had shut it down would take awhile to cool off. Outside it was a fall day maybe in 50's. It was so hot in room dressing and showering was not fun, but the fan helped. You needed to stand in front of it.
Well need less to say when we came back at 1;00 in the morning it was just as hot as we left. We had the most horrible time sleeping in the room. I had to get up and go into hallway to cool off. I tried a cold wash clothe on my forehead. It was not a fun night. After talking to others in the hotel, everyone said the same thing. they also got fans for the night. When I spoke to the manager she said no one else had said a word. Well Good Luck if you are staying here.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Stillwater, Oklahoma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

This property is an old Doubletree. The room I had was clean but outdated, few amenities, with a postage stamp size bathroom. The continental breakfast in barely continental. There is an on-line price promotion that offers 20% off if the room is booked for three consecutive nights. I was told at check-in that the discount would be reflected in my bill at checkout, that was not the case. the front desk person said the room was booked at a rate and that's all she knew. Maybe sales was doing something she was not aware of? Very limited bill of fare in the bistro and the parking garage is old, dark and scarry.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Ann Arbor, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

We stayed at the Grand Hotel for the first time last week. We planned to arrive late - after 9pm. Downtown Dayton after dark didn't give us the warm, fuzzy feeling of comfort. I did a fair job of timing the lights to keep moving. However, upon arrival at the hotel, we discovered the "free parking" provided by the hotel was in a miniature parking garage that literally gave us the creeps. After we drove up several levels, it wasn't apparent how to get to the hotel. We finally figured it out and made it safely inside the hotel, but there was no way I was going back to the car to get anything we might have forgotten.

On the plus side, the workout facility was adequate. The pool was very nice, the hot tube too. Breakfast was the usual continental breakfast fare. It was better returning to the car in the daylight the next morning.

Room Tip: Our room at the front of the hotel wasn't the best with the noisy street traffic outside. But t...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

This hotel could be old world chic, but it has "modern" updates that take away from the charm. The bathroom has a cool art deco style short tub, granite tile, modern toilet and sink. It's not small, there is plenty of room to move around in there but the floor is a tad sticky (I'm not sure what it's from but I always wear flip flops in hotels any way.) There have been a lot of complaints about how dirty the bathroom was in past posts, the bathroom was as clean as you can get it with a tub that doesn't drain very well. There was standing water during my shower that made it to my ankles.

The rooms are very large, sitting area with large mini fridge, couch and chair and ottoman. The bedroom itself has chair, ottoman and desk area. Plenty of mirrors so you can check yourself out. The bed is awesome (to me the most important part), pulled the sheets back not strange hairs. The pillows are down feather, fluffy and firm. I got a end room (404) it had a lot of windows. Nice natural light.

That parking garage that a lot of folks complain about... If I were in my own car, it wouldn't have been an issue but for larger cars and cars you rent; the garage could pose a bit of a problem. It has some pretty tight turns, I wouldn't suggest large/long autos park in the garage. I'm pretty luck as my stay is a weekend stay and parking on the street is free and ample on weekends.

The staff has been nice, friendly and helpful.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Dayton Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!