“Thought I was sleeping in HELL........” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Dayton Grand Hotel

Save Saved
You added Dayton Grand Hotel to your Saves list
Dayton Grand Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   11 South Ludlow Street, Dayton, OH 45402 (Formerly Doubletree)   |
Ranked #30 of 45 hotels in Dayton
Hudson, Ohio, United States
“Thought I was sleeping in HELL........”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

This past weekend was Parents weekend at University of Dayton (10-20-12) . I was a little worried after reading some reviews but it was close and cheap(80.00). Make sure if you have a kid at UD book ahead.
The hotel it self wasn't the worst. I have seen worst..Parking garage is a joke, my room had a bobby pin and a dirty tissue with someones makeup on it on the bathroom floor. I never said a word, I thought if that is the worst we can deal with it. Our room was hot as heck, tried messing around with the unit decided to call front desk. Someone came right away, bringing us a fan. He messed around with it said when we came back later it should be cooler. Told us the whole hotel was on a boiler and they had shut it down would take awhile to cool off. Outside it was a fall day maybe in 50's. It was so hot in room dressing and showering was not fun, but the fan helped. You needed to stand in front of it.
Well need less to say when we came back at 1;00 in the morning it was just as hot as we left. We had the most horrible time sleeping in the room. I had to get up and go into hallway to cool off. I tried a cold wash clothe on my forehead. It was not a fun night. After talking to others in the hotel, everyone said the same thing. they also got fans for the night. When I spoke to the manager she said no one else had said a word. Well Good Luck if you are staying here.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

182 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Stillwater, Oklahoma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

This property is an old Doubletree. The room I had was clean but outdated, few amenities, with a postage stamp size bathroom. The continental breakfast in barely continental. There is an on-line price promotion that offers 20% off if the room is booked for three consecutive nights. I was told at check-in that the discount would be reflected in my bill at checkout, that was not the case. the front desk person said the room was booked at a rate and that's all she knew. Maybe sales was doing something she was not aware of? Very limited bill of fare in the bistro and the parking garage is old, dark and scarry.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Ann Arbor, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

We stayed at the Grand Hotel for the first time last week. We planned to arrive late - after 9pm. Downtown Dayton after dark didn't give us the warm, fuzzy feeling of comfort. I did a fair job of timing the lights to keep moving. However, upon arrival at the hotel, we discovered the "free parking" provided by the hotel was in a miniature parking garage that literally gave us the creeps. After we drove up several levels, it wasn't apparent how to get to the hotel. We finally figured it out and made it safely inside the hotel, but there was no way I was going back to the car to get anything we might have forgotten.

On the plus side, the workout facility was adequate. The pool was very nice, the hot tube too. Breakfast was the usual continental breakfast fare. It was better returning to the car in the daylight the next morning.

Room Tip: Our room at the front of the hotel wasn't the best with the noisy street traffic outside. But t...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

This hotel could be old world chic, but it has "modern" updates that take away from the charm. The bathroom has a cool art deco style short tub, granite tile, modern toilet and sink. It's not small, there is plenty of room to move around in there but the floor is a tad sticky (I'm not sure what it's from but I always wear flip flops in hotels any way.) There have been a lot of complaints about how dirty the bathroom was in past posts, the bathroom was as clean as you can get it with a tub that doesn't drain very well. There was standing water during my shower that made it to my ankles.

The rooms are very large, sitting area with large mini fridge, couch and chair and ottoman. The bedroom itself has chair, ottoman and desk area. Plenty of mirrors so you can check yourself out. The bed is awesome (to me the most important part), pulled the sheets back not strange hairs. The pillows are down feather, fluffy and firm. I got a end room (404) it had a lot of windows. Nice natural light.

That parking garage that a lot of folks complain about... If I were in my own car, it wouldn't have been an issue but for larger cars and cars you rent; the garage could pose a bit of a problem. It has some pretty tight turns, I wouldn't suggest large/long autos park in the garage. I'm pretty luck as my stay is a weekend stay and parking on the street is free and ample on weekends.

The staff has been nice, friendly and helpful.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Allentown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I love the location of this hotel, not far from the theater and some restaurants downtown. A few months ago it seemed to be going down hill (broken pool, work out room) but I went back the other day and it was really nice again. The beds are very comfortable, the breakfast is fine and the staff is nice.

Sidney, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

We recently held a meeting at this property and had a good experience. The staff was very quick at refreshing water & food during our breaks. They did not bother our meeting when setting up / tearing down tables in the space outside our room. Lodging rooms were clean and all staff at the front desk were helpful and friendly. Any concerns or questions we had were addressed right away. The parking garage isn't great but it was not made for self-parking so I fully expect that when this property is able to provide valet service again, that will not even be an issue for hotel guests.

Room Tip: Building is old so room sizes vary from one to the next which isn't an issue but the bathroom in...
Hereford, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

I guess the Dayton Grand Hotel has seen better days, but I really like this hotel. It does not offer as complete a hotel experience as a five star, no breakfast restaurant, e.g. just the simple cold free breakfast that you will find at many chains, but its rooms are very charming and clean, comfortable beds, the staff is very friendly and helpful. I really think that for the reasonable price, this hotel is a great deal. I have so far always been able to find a spot in the parking. For breakfast I like to go out to the Brunch Club, so that is not a problem and it is just a hop, skip and a jump the oregon district, which is lively in the evening with music, food and bar scene.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Dayton Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!