“Beautiful Property, Lacking Behind the Desk” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Ranked #7 of 45 Hotels in Dayton
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Beautiful Property, Lacking Behind the Desk”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

This property is beautiful. Check-in/check-out was a breeze. Proper charges, got the room we booked, exactly. The 2-bedroom suite is extremely roomy and beautifully decorated. It feels like home, just like all other RI properties we've enjoyed. It's a very clean property. The master bedroom has a king bed. The second bedroom has a queen. Each bedroom has a bathroom, which is extremely convenient with traveling with family or friends. The A/C control sets the entire suite, including both bedrooms. There are no separate thermostats in the bedrooms. The suite has a full kitchen, including an oven. There is a full set of pots & pans, silverware, plates, mugs, glasses. However, if you intend to use the oven, you must bring your own bake ware. There is not anything in the room to use for baking or warming in the oven.

The breakfast is standard RI fare and was very good. The breakfast hostess was very capable and friendly.

Some things to keep in mind about service: Some of this experience, I'm sure, is unique to my stay. Some is due to the franchisee’s policy. Before writing this review I spoke the General Manager, Travis, to understand/resolve/discuss/offer suggestions to avoid these situations for future guests.

1. On two occasions I went to the desk and had to wait to be discovered on camera by someone in the office who glanced up, eventually.
*I suggested that I understand it wouldn't be the best idea to have someone simply stand up front all night to be available for guests; but that, maybe a bell of some sort or some type of alert sound could be put in place to alert the desk clerk.
**"I'm sorry" was the only response I got. No, "I'll look into it", "thank you for your suggestion, that could work"...nothing.

2. Before our stay I read reviews that suggested, for various reasons, that this location must be run/owned by "bean counters". I was, for the first time after staying at many RI properties, told by the front desk clerk upon my request for a stick of deodarent, that they have toiletries available; but each item would be at a charge of $2+. These are trial size sticks! The desk clerk did offer me a disposable razor free of charge. Keep in mind. This is a $180 per night room.
*After verifying with Travis, I got the explanation that they charged for these items, even toothpaste, because they are "offered in our Market Store". That's fine. It's a franchisee's prerogative. I suggested that I had read the reviews and the general idea of some is that the hotel is run by “bean counters” and that this might be part of the reason why there is such a perception. Also, The dish soap was not the normal rich "Palmolive" brand that I had become accustomed to at RI. It was an off-brand that seemed more like water and didn't really work well. I fear this is an effort to cut cost here.

**Travis simply restated his original thought. He never empathized, offered to bring the information to the owner or any other type of solution to the situation.

3. After discovering there was not even a cookie sheet in the room to use in the oven (I had pizza I wanted to warm and other foods to cook), I called the front desk. The desk clerk was very polite and suggested that I come down and that she had a cookie sheet if that would work for me. I was thrilled with the cheerful offer of help and that something was actually available.
Once I got to the desk, I waited to be seen on the camera, after which she pointed to the end of the desk. I was shock to find a USED COOKIE SHEET, FULL OF CRUMBS, LYING ON THE DESK. I’m sure the shocked look showed on my face because she said, “I’m sorry. That’s the one I used for cookies”. I would have thought that she might have gone into the kitchen area to wash it before offering it to the guest. I would have been more than happy to realize that this was why no one was at the front desk when I went down instead of waiting for her to come out from the office and offer me a dirty cookie sheet.
*I didn’t mention this to Travis because the general feel I got from him was one of indifference toward solutions.
I gave this hotel a "very good" rating only because of the suite itself. Right now it's new and pretty much stands on its' own. If given the opportunity to stay here at full price again, I would not. The level of service offered does not warrant such a price.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Travis W, General Manager at Residence Inn Dayton North, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for staying with us and providing feedback. I feel that feedback from our guests is truly the best way that we can improve our services. I am truly sorry for the issues that you experience and I am grateful that you brought them to my attention. I will be reviewing this with my team and use it as a learning experience. I also want to apologize for my lack of empathy. That certainly was not my intention and I was taking note of everything that you were telling me in our conversation.

Again, thank you for the feedback. I do hope that you will give us another chance the next time you are in the Dayton area.

Travis Weller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I stayed midweek for one night in a one bedroom suite. Everything in the room was clean and tidy. The bed was comfortable, and there wasn't a lot of noise. I'd definitely go back. I didn't eat there so no comment about the food.

Room Tip: I was in room 401 well away from the elevators on the outside of the building.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Travis W, General Manager at Residence Inn Dayton North, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for staying with us and writing a review. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to taking care of you the next time your are in the Dayton area.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Let’s start at the reception desk, where the receptionist was very polite and professional. Riding the elevator to the 3rd floor, I step out and all I smell are spring flowers. I can’t tell you how nice that is, it just washes the day’s troubles right away. Entering the room (a studio) is classic residence inn. The room is very clean and at just right temperature.
Room for improvement? This is for all Residence Inn’s in general, they could bring their daily prices down $20 or $30.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for staying with us and writing a review. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to taking care of you the next time you are in the Dayton area.

Tampa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Booked a room through the Marriott reservation number. We were driving from Florida with our family and after 14 hours of driving we picked this hotel because they had a large 2 room suite. Two hours later when we showed up tired and ready for bed they told us they didn't have our room. When I told them I have a confirmation number they said those rooms are not available. When I asked why she gave me some vague answer as to being "not ready". I asked why the 800 Marriott reservation center didn't know this she said there is no way for them to let them know these rooms are not available. We settled for a smaller room but with a large family this was less than ideal. Had we known I would have booked another hotel in the area. On top of that the breakfast food was terrible. I won't ever stay at a Residence Inn again if I have no confidence that when I book a specific type of room I won't get it.

Room Tip: Don't book through 800 number you may not get what you want.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for writing a review and letting us know how your stay was. I am so sorry to hear that we were unable to honor your reservation for a two bedroom suite. As I mentioned in a previous email to you, I am not exactly sure what happened with the reservation, however we should have made a better attempt to accomodate you. I have brought your comments to the attention of my front desk staff and will be using this as a training opportunity. Thank you again for staying with us, and I hope that you will give us another chance the next time you are in the Dayton area.
Gurnee, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

We travelled to Dayton for a national softball tournament, and were lucky enough for find rooms for our entire group at the Residence Inn Dayton North, just 8 minutes from the fields. The management and front desk could not have been more accommodating and helpful, although they did recommend a restaurant in town on Sunday that was a bit sketchy. Many of our group arrived very late, and we treated like we arrived at 7 PM. The pool was great for the players and families, and there was plenty of space to congregate before and after games. The rooms were clean, although some had some issues with the housekeeping staff. The location offered many different restaurants to choose from, and the variety for breakfast was fine. Noise levels were acceptable, given the number of kids staying there. Next time I am in Dayton, I will be staying here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Travis W, General Manager at Residence Inn Dayton North, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for staying with us and letting us know how your stay was. I truly believe that guest feedback is the best way that we can improve our services. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I look foward to seeing you the next time you are in the Dayton area.

Round Hill, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

We always stay in this area for the Dayton Airshow weekend. The last several years have been spent at the Courtyard, which in my opinion is just "blah". This year, I took a chance on the Residence Inn and am very glad I did! Sharon, the new manager, took great care of us and set us up with one of their queen/queen suites. It was perfect for our needs. The hotel was well maintained - only a few "lived in" marks in the room. Breakfast was plentiful and varied through our stay. Pastries, fruit, and make-your-own waffles were always available as well as an egg dish. Other items that varied included biscuits and gravy, French toast, pancakes, and sausages. The hotel was completely booked, yet the breakfast items never ran out and the breakfast area was well maintained and always clean.

The pool was spacious and cool, but not cold. Perfect for my boys on a hot weekend. They also have a basketball court.

Responding to some of the negative comments... You need to be aware that the Residence Inn is the extended stay option for Marriott. That means that your room will be serviced according to your length of stay. For three nights, ours was serviced each day. Sheets are only changed twice per stay (this is stated on an information sheet in your room). Also, extended stay guests receive priority for keeping their rooms. This was almost an issue for us as I had reserved a two bedroom suite that was unavailable due to extended stay customers. Sharon, the manager, was very helpful and apologetic with regards to this issue. She notified me ahead of my stay and offered the queen/queen room at a significant discount. She also would have found us a room at another property in the worst case situation.

All of the staff I encountered were friendly and helpful and greeted us cheerfully in the hallways. We were on the second floor, but noise from above and below was minimal - less that typical hotels. I also appreciated the non-smoking policy of the hotel - a rarity in Ohio.

In my opinion, a good hotel is very hard to find in Dayton. In the ten years we've been attending the airshow, this is by far the best.

Room Tip: There are three queen/queen suites (queen beds in bedroom, 1 bath, sofa sleeper in living/dining/kit...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Travis W, General Manager at Residence Inn Dayton North, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for staying with us and provided feedback. My staff and I are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to providing you a "Home Away from Home" the next time you are in the Dayton area.

Enon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Spent the weekend with 2 youngsters who loved the place. The room was new, clean and very comfortable. We stayed in a king studio and had plenty of space for all 3 of us. The hit was the indoor pool which was kid friendly with steps and graduated depth. Very busy in the evening with all the kids staying there, they all had a ball playing with each other, not sure how an adult would fare. And they loved the included hot buffet breakfast. The staff was friendly and appeared to help each other out as needed. This was a very busy weekend with the Dayton Airshow on just up the road, they were sold out. The hotel is very convienent to the Boonshoft Children's Museum and Planetarium and the new spectacular Scene 75 Entertainment Center. Plenty of family restaurants next to the hotel. Will definately plan another kid's weekend here.

Room Tip: Stayed on the first floor and had no noise issues at all.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for staying with us and providing feedback. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you and your children were able to relax at the pool. We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in the Dayton area.

Travis Weller

Been to Residence Inn Dayton North? Share your experiences!