This property is beautiful. Check-in/check-out was a breeze. Proper charges, got the room we booked, exactly. The 2-bedroom suite is extremely roomy and beautifully decorated. It feels like home, just like all other RI properties we've enjoyed. It's a very clean property. The master bedroom has a king bed. The second bedroom has a queen. Each bedroom has a bathroom, which is extremely convenient with traveling with family or friends. The A/C control sets the entire suite, including both bedrooms. There are no separate thermostats in the bedrooms. The suite has a full kitchen, including an oven. There is a full set of pots & pans, silverware, plates, mugs, glasses. However, if you intend to use the oven, you must bring your own bake ware. There is not anything in the room to use for baking or warming in the oven.
The breakfast is standard RI fare and was very good. The breakfast hostess was very capable and friendly.
Some things to keep in mind about service: Some of this experience, I'm sure, is unique to my stay. Some is due to the franchisee’s policy. Before writing this review I spoke the General Manager, Travis, to understand/resolve/discuss/offer suggestions to avoid these situations for future guests.
1. On two occasions I went to the desk and had to wait to be discovered on camera by someone in the office who glanced up, eventually.
*I suggested that I understand it wouldn't be the best idea to have someone simply stand up front all night to be available for guests; but that, maybe a bell of some sort or some type of alert sound could be put in place to alert the desk clerk.
**"I'm sorry" was the only response I got. No, "I'll look into it", "thank you for your suggestion, that could work"...nothing.
2. Before our stay I read reviews that suggested, for various reasons, that this location must be run/owned by "bean counters". I was, for the first time after staying at many RI properties, told by the front desk clerk upon my request for a stick of deodarent, that they have toiletries available; but each item would be at a charge of $2+. These are trial size sticks! The desk clerk did offer me a disposable razor free of charge. Keep in mind. This is a $180 per night room.
*After verifying with Travis, I got the explanation that they charged for these items, even toothpaste, because they are "offered in our Market Store". That's fine. It's a franchisee's prerogative. I suggested that I had read the reviews and the general idea of some is that the hotel is run by “bean counters” and that this might be part of the reason why there is such a perception. Also, The dish soap was not the normal rich "Palmolive" brand that I had become accustomed to at RI. It was an off-brand that seemed more like water and didn't really work well. I fear this is an effort to cut cost here.
**Travis simply restated his original thought. He never empathized, offered to bring the information to the owner or any other type of solution to the situation.
3. After discovering there was not even a cookie sheet in the room to use in the oven (I had pizza I wanted to warm and other foods to cook), I called the front desk. The desk clerk was very polite and suggested that I come down and that she had a cookie sheet if that would work for me. I was thrilled with the cheerful offer of help and that something was actually available.
Once I got to the desk, I waited to be seen on the camera, after which she pointed to the end of the desk. I was shock to find a USED COOKIE SHEET, FULL OF CRUMBS, LYING ON THE DESK. I’m sure the shocked look showed on my face because she said, “I’m sorry. That’s the one I used for cookies”. I would have thought that she might have gone into the kitchen area to wash it before offering it to the guest. I would have been more than happy to realize that this was why no one was at the front desk when I went down instead of waiting for her to come out from the office and offer me a dirty cookie sheet.
*I didn’t mention this to Travis because the general feel I got from him was one of indifference toward solutions.
I gave this hotel a "very good" rating only because of the suite itself. Right now it's new and pretty much stands on its' own. If given the opportunity to stay here at full price again, I would not. The level of service offered does not warrant such a price.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the NEW Residence Inn Dayton North! Conveniently located at the Crossroads of America near I-70/I-75, you’ll discover Dayton and so much more. Our extended stay accommodations feature fully equipped kitchens, large work area, & separate living/sleeping areas. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Despegar.com, Marriott, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Residence Inn Dayton North reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Residence Inn Dayton North Hotel Dayton
- Residence Inn Dayton North Ohio