“Get the chips” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
“Get the chips”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

One of Dayton's best values a must for anyone who loves a good burger and homemade chips great for college students and young couples however I would not recamend this resturant for families with young children it's a bar folks

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Ohio
“Fun bar- lots of beer selection”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

My wife and I and friends have enjoyed Blind Bobs many times. Great beer selection and great bar food. Good burgers & salads. Some unusual things also- pickle soup- sounds terrible but is delicious. Fun people, music and good times

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Virginia
“A really good burger, but..”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012 via mobile

Sampling the Oregon District restaurants, I walked into Blind Bob's a little concerned. Not exactly a dive, but clearly more of a tavern than a restaurant. Excellent burger with a fresh tomato slice on top and homemade potato chips. Lots of beer choices but not my thing so I can't comment.

Dayton, Ohio
“Decent food/terrible service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Or shall I say astonishingly terrible service. My girlfriend & I stopped in @ 6p yesterday. The place was basically empty & we were greeted fairly quickly by a seemingly competent wait person. She answered a couple of questions about their beers & brought us our drinks & shortly thereafter took our food orders. Food (crab cake burger, chicken sandwich, waffle fries) were delivered to our table by a different worker @ 15 minutes later which was reasonable. That was the last time anyone bothered to check on our table. Girlfriend had to stand up & flag down our original waiter. We ordered a couple more beers. After @ 10 minutes & no beers she walked up to the bar & asked the bartender if it would be okay if she took our beers that had been sitting up there. His response was "knock yourself out." REally?? So we finished eating, drank our beers, & waited now for a check that did not come until I walked to the bar to inquire. Original waiter said she would bring it. She did. We paid. We left & will not be back again. Without writing a book here I would think that someone should have checked our table after the food arrived to see if "everything was alright" and maybe to see if we wanted another beer. Also, maybe the bartender could have walked the beers to our table if original wait person was too occupied doing whatever it was she was doing. Again, they were not busy. Last, if I was the owner of that establishment & I had those knuckleheads working for me, they would not be for long. Really unbelievable. Decent enough food does not win out over such crappy & indifferent service.

• Visited August 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Dayton, Ohio, United States
“Unevenly spectacular?!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

I've been to Bob's many times, most recently for Saturday brunch. I give them top marks for their overall business model and the quality of the food and drink, but they lose some points for occasional lapses in execution.

On the upside, the food. It's bar food, but with upscale twists and not quite so greasy as most. Today, I had Bob's Benedict from the weekend brunch menu, which is a good representation and deserves detailed description. We start with the traditional eggs benedict ingredients--English muffin, ham, eggs, hollandaise sauce. They cook the eggs to order; poached is traditional of course, I did them sunny side up. The hollandaise is the hardest part of the dish to get right, and they aced it. Bob's enhancess it by layering in a good portion of raw baby spinach and some chopped tomato, so it's kind of an Eggs Benedict Florentine, and the extra veggies really brighten it up and add nice textures and flavors. The dish is finished off with hash browns, which at Bob's are breaded and deep fried and well drained. The potatoes are very tasty in this preparation. The plate was crowded and some of the hollandaise got under the potatoes, and I usually would complain when sauces got all over the other foods, but in this case the spuds did not turn soggy and their flavor was enhanced.

I made it a two-cocktail brunch with one of their house specials, the Fashionable Manhattan. They make it their own by muddling citrus before blending the Rye and Sweet Vermouth. Now, the muddling extracts some of the bitterness from the fruit pith, but not so much that I found it off-putting, just a little unusual compared to other Manhattans I've liked. The drink changes character as you sip it, and after about 1/3 of the glass that sharpness is gone and what's left is a rather gentle, sweet Manhattan--not my favorite one in Dayton but close enough that I'll probably enjoy some in the future.

Well, nobody's perfect, and Bob's has unfortunately missed the mark on a few points. On today's visit, it took forever to get food to the table--I was in no hurry, but one of my companions had kids to pick up. My take on it was the kitchen was having a hard time keeping up, the wait staff seemed on top of things. On another earlier visit, I was amazed that I could find a beer that I wanted only with difficulty--they were out of many of the selections on their beer list, including some of the features.

So my bottom line is that Blind Bob's is far more good than bad. There are no other bars that offer the range of entertainment that Bob's provides, from open mic to trivia to live bands to pub science lectures. If service is slow, the food is worth waiting for. And if they don't run out, the beer list is long and the mixed drinks are tasty. I think their glitches are forgivable and I'll certainly be back there before too very long.

• Visited August 2012