“Excellent, Easy, and Pleasant Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Inn Port D'Vino
22 Brown Street, Dayton, OH 45402   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Dayton B&B and Inns
Denver, Colorado
“Excellent, Easy, and Pleasant Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011

- The owner is incredibly nice and flexible. My arrival time was not a problem, and she made sure to meet all requests.

- Everything was clean, comfortable, and well kept. The hot tub in my suite was lovely, and food was supplied in the refrigerator for breakfast. Shampoo, soap, etc. were also included.

- The place was quiet and relaxing.

- Being in the art district, it was walking distance from all sorts of shops and restaurants (I didn't go to any since I was in town on business). Thai 9 is almost right across the street however, and I had an excellent dinner there.

- I normally HATE bed and breakfast places, because it's so easy to have a bad experience. However, I would gladly stay here again - I loved it!

- The decorations are a little mismatched at times, and frankly could be better, but it still looks quite lovely.

- It is a little pricey for what you are getting, but if you can afford it, it's definitely worth being in the art district as opposed to staying in the Holiday Inn by the airport (or something).

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Baltimore, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

I travel to Dayton a couple times a year for group events, and when the events are downtown or in the Oregon District I'd been staying at the Crowne Plaza. However, the recent slew of downhill reviews for the Crowne led me to seek out a different place to stay, at least until they finish their renovations. The ideal location would be (a) very short walking distance to the Oregon District, (b) have free parking included, (c) cost about as much as the Crowne Plaza or less and (d) pretty and historic is also a plus given how many lovely old properties there are in this neighborhood. Voila, enter the Inn Port D'Vino!

The main house is gorgeous, although I actually stayed in the renovated building in back (which was basically a large, nicely furnished one-bedroom apartment) which allowed me access to the free lot parking. The hostess was very welcoming and her little white dog is so cute! I liked that all of the breakfast things, etc. were in the room and the hostess pretty much stayed out of my hair all weekend after showing me around, in contrast to other places that pester you about wanting to make up the room or whatever. I had a very hectic schedule and appreciated the peace and quiet. The owners were also very willing to work with me so that I could have a parking space, which I needed (street parking in the Oregon District being a real PITA), and still pay a single rate for the room and be in the property closer to the main street of the District. I was able to walk to things around the District even more easily than when I stayed at the Crowne Plaza because I didn't have to negotiate those two extra blocks with the dodgy fast food places and parking garage (and there was snowy slush on the ground besides). The suite I was in came with a full kitchen, cooking utensils, a basket of snacks like crackers and popcorn, and for breakfast, bagels, toast, spreads, cold cereals, instant oatmeal, milk, juice, coffee makings, and one egg. It wasn't fancy but given that it's very hard to get food in the District during certain hours when the restaurants aren't operating, and that a hotel would charge you ten bucks for a plate of toast, I was very glad to have it! The large refrigerator also allowed me to stash takeout food containers and if I was staying longer I could have bought my own food and cooked it. You do have to do your own dishes, which wasn't horribly burdensome but just something to be aware of. Wi-Fi and TV worked great and there was a jacuzzi tub which i didn't have time to try out but good to know it's there for a return visit.

The only minus was that the rooms were kind of cold. I happened to visit during an abnormally cold snap and the building where my rooms were has many large windows down both sides, also the bed blankets and comforter were on the thin side. I realize this is probably not a big problem in months other than Jan.-Feb. and is something that happens in a lot of older building B&B's. Also there is a thermostat control in the hall, but because of the large size of the suite in which I stayed I'm not sure how much that helped. This was a minor point though, and given the great location and amenities of this place I'd definitely stay again and would recommend to others.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Troy, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

My hubby and I (boyfriend at the time) stayed here 2 different times when he was home for a visit (he's in the airforce and stationed elsewhere). Both times we stayed in the Champagne Suite and loved it. No complaints here. Loved the kitchen, selection of food, the hot tub was wonderful and beautifully decorated. Now we are married, (and he's currently deployed to the desert) but when he comes back for a visit in December, we are hoping to stay in the same suite again. You've given us wonderful memories to share. (the date of our stays was before Nov. of '09 but wouldn't let me choose dates before then)

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2010

The Inn Port Guesthouse must be whole lot better than the Inn Port D'Vino, the Inn Port's sister establishment. The Port D'Vino is in an old Victorian-Gothic mansion, which judging from the photos on the premises, must have had a former life as a law office. The building itself is cool and interesting, but what the owners have done is not. Let's start with the ghastly wall to wall carpeting which matches exactly nothing in the house all of which is also mismatched odds and ends. They have a washer and dryer right under the original grand staircase, which totally spoils the effect. They are trying to create a wine theme a la a California vineyard and the entire place was a construction site which no one seemed to be working on. As far as I could tell, we had the only habitable room in the house, which seemed to be the original maid's room, up the very steep back staircase. They really should not be having guests until they get this place together a bit better. The self-service breakfast consisted of dry cereal, tasteless Walmart bagels and moldy cream cheese.
The location is great and Dayton has a surprisingly good art museum and other interesting things to see. Believe me, I am not a princess when it comes to hotels and I love the quirkiness of bed and breakfasts, but this place is just beyond the beyond.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
innport, Owner at Inn Port D'Vino, responded to this review, July 28, 2010
We are sorry that Phillykat did not enjoy her visit to Inn Port D'Vino. We are the first to admit that we are not all things to all people, but fortunately, most are pleased by what we have to offer. We are a historic 1876 building in the Oregon Historic District complete with its original woodwork throughout. Steps are steep in such buildings. The building does not have a kitchen, so we provide guesthouse accomodations with a continental breakfast area for guests to enjoy continental breakfast fare, snacks and sodas 24/7 (and unfortunately we had a problem with a few cream cheese packets this spring--sorry!), We are decorated in a wine theme, have a washer/dryer onsite and we do have neutral green carpet that came with the building. We are walking distance to about 12 different restaurants and entertainment venues, many of which are not open on Sunday, that being the day of our guest's stay.We wish her happy visits at future visits as she travels in the future.
Dayton, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2009

If you're looking for an alternative place to stay that is close to Downtown Dayton this is it. Right around the corner from the historic Oregon District. This Inn was very quite considering the close proximity of nightlife right around the block. Very large rooms that are comfortable with nice ameneties. Would definitely recommend this location for something that was wanting to stay somewhere other than a chain hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

This was a great find for our girls' weekend...I only wish I was the one who could take credit for finding it!
A group of friends stayed at the Inn Port D'Vino for a girls' weekend and it was wonderful. The rooms were warm and comfortable and there was plenty of room for us to gather, eat, and celebrate. I was amazed at how quiet it was even with its proximity to the Oregon District. The continental breakfast was perfect for the next day and nothing felt rushed as if I needed to hurry up, eat, and get out.
The owner, who I believe is Leslie(?), was so enthusiastic and happy that we'd enjoyed ourselves. She seemed to be genuinely interested in our experience and hoped we'd all return.
If the need arises, I will definitely book this B&B.

Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Dayton, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2009

We had a large group stay here recently and were delighted at what a hidden gem this was located in the heart of the historic Oregon District. Plenty of nightclubs, pubs, and cafe's to visit and just a few short blocks to the river. The house was built in the 1800's and has been maintained very well. The owner was as excited as our group to be there. You can tell she truly cares about the place.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Inn Port D'Vino? Share your experiences!