“Lovely hotel, very helpful staff” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #8 of 45 Hotels in Dayton
Kerry, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel, very helpful staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

Had a great stay, wonderful breakfast. Our flight into Dayton was cancelled and instead we got into Cincinnati late at night, the wonderful receptionist at the hotel arranged a taxi (at a good price) to take us to Dayton. Such professionalism and helpfulness, impressed us very much and it is with this that I highly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Hotel M, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Dayton, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Dear Travel708,
Thank you for letting us know that our staff was able to make such a difference to you and help you out in a difficult situation. I will be sure to let them know that you took notice and mentioned it in your review. Good luck in your travels!

Michael Larson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

Midweek stay at this Dayton Crowne Plaza. First off this is a fairly decent location in Dayton. Close to many venues and businesses.

Although the bed was comfortable the rooms were not very clean. I have stayed at many Crowne Plaza locations before and many of them are in need up updating, this location being one of them. Carpet stains, worn window coverings and mildewed tiles among other issues need to be addressed.

Fitness room, although usable, needs to have their cardio machines updated as the belts on the treadmills kept slipping. They did have free weights and a machine.

Onsite restaurant and bar was enjoyable at night though the drinks were a tad expensive. Parking wasn't to bad at $15 for valet.

Over all I would probably choose a different location next time I travel to Dayton unless this facility goes through a renovation.

Dear cweld5,
We appreciate your review. All reviews help us to focus in on what we're doing right and what we could do better. Thank you for mentioning all the positive things about your stay as well as the areas where we did not meet your expectation. Please accept my apology. I do hope that you will give us another opportunity when traveling back to our area.

Third Lake IL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

Even before I arrived, there were problems making a reservation. I was attending a conference and there was a block of rooms reserved for our group. When I called to make the reservation I was told there were no rooms available for the date I was seeking. I asked to speak with a manager, who confirmed that there were absolutely no rooms available and recommended that I make a reservation at a hotel that was 10 blocks away. I contacted our event manager, who, about a day later, was able to speak with someone who figured out that somehow, the reservation clerks (and apparently the manager) had not seen the room block, and indeed there was ONE room left. There were 4 in our group, and, with the help of our conference manager, they were able to find two more rooms over the next several days. One of our members had to stay at a different hotel ( He was the lucky one).

We arrived at about noon on our check in day as our event began at 1pm. As there were no rooms available for check in, we left our bags with the staff, and returned to the hotel at about 5pm to check in and freshen up before our next event, leaving about 30-40 minutes.

I was given Room 308, which was designed for wheelchair use-which shouldn't have made any difference to the average user. I walked in and the room was pitch dark. I turned on the lights, and the light by the door was so dim, it made no difference. I walked into the bathroom, and the light bulb over the sink was out. I immediately called the front desk and asked them to replace the bulb, they said they'd send someone right up. I waited....while it was still possible to wash my face, I could not see to reapply make-up or fix my hair, the door automatically closes, there was no door stop, leaving you in the dark. Also, the bathroom had NO counter space, it was a pedestal sink, with bars above the toilet. So, there is nowhere to put your toothbrush, no where to set your other toiletries, etc. I literally had to hold my toothbrush container and my toothpaste while I brushed my teeth.

As I only had a few minutes until I had to return to my event, I attempted to complete my grooming in the main area of the room, which, also had very little counter area, with a mirror that was not really accessible for this purpose. I walked toward the window to open the curtains to try to get some light, I noticed the carcass of some dead bug on the carpet, it looked like a beetle or cockroach. There was also what appeared to be blood (or red wine) in a trail of spots leading from the side of the bed to the window. When I bent down to remove the bug carcase, I came eye to eye with the legs of the chair by the desk area and saw about an inch of dust and filth that had collected over time. I take some photos, but due to the pattern on the carpet, the blood stains don't readily show in the photos.

As I was pressed for time, I left the room, and went to the front desk. It had been 40 minutes since I made the call. I inquired at the desk about the light, and the very annoyed clerk indicated that she had "just" called maintenance and they would take care of it.
I left for the evening. When I returned, the bulb had indeed been replaced, and when I turned on the light, I could see the dirt and mold surrounding the shower area and the streaks of dirt on the mirror, etc. The bathroom door and the other doors in this room looked like they had been somehow damaged and halfway repainted, in different shades of prison brown. Awful!
There were some parties in the hotel that night, and I knew there were no other rooms so I just went to sleep. I woke up with the bill under my door, that included a $15 parking charge, although I had not parked a vehicle.

In the morning I used the fitness center--the elliptical machines had no drink holder, so you could not drink water while exercising on these machines. I used a treadmill, that while in good working order, was covered in dust. When I completed and began to stretch I got the bird's eye view of the level of filth all over the floor and equipment. I left the room, went up, gathered my belongings and checked out.

The clerk questioned me about the parking, making me feel like she suspected that I was somehow lying about having a vehicle and then reluctantly removed the charge . At that time I did tell her housekeeping really needed to pay better attention to that room, and that I had never had such a bad cleanliness experience at a Crown property. The clerk, acting as though she was reading a script, asked, "what can we do to make your stay better?" Apparently, she didn't remember that I was checking out.

I have attached a couple photos of the bulb, the bug, the dust and the blood--but they do not do the place justice.

Room Tip: Room 308 is awful.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Hotel M, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Dayton, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Dear gem0607, Thank you for taking the time to relate your experience at my hotel. I appreciate your feedback and please accept my sincere apology. Your stay was certainly atypical and I am embarrassed by the room condition and the service miscues. I have shared your comments with the staff. Your comments will allow us to make the necessary improvements to prevent a repeat occurrence. I will be reaching out to you personally to discuss your stay further.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

Tabitha and Jessica make my visit to Crowne Plaza Dayton an exceptional experience each and every time I come 'home' to Dayton.

There were several events in the city this past weekend and had to wait for my room to be cleaned and Tabitha graciously called with updates.

Once I arrived and after taking a shower, I noticed 2 stray hairs in the shower and another on the desk. I informed Jessica and she said she would alert housecleaning; she did as I noticed that the shower curtain had been moved into another position, but the hairs were still there.

Upon checkout, I informed Jessica about the remaining stray hairs, and without provocation, she apologized and issued a discount.

This is why I love Crowne Plaza. Every visit to Dayton, Crowne Plaza downtown Dayton has been my go to choice hotel. Thanks!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Hotel M, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Dayton, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear Mohouze404
Thank you for taking the time to give us your review and your understanding as I assure you that the problem you encountered is an unacceptable one. I will be sure to review this with a housekeeping supervisor. I appreciate you letting me know that our staff compensated you and made a difference with their customer service. We value you as our guest and look forward to seeing you again!

Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

We had occasion to stay at this hotel March 22,2014. We found staff extremely helpful and the breakfast buffet on top was excellent . The area surrounding the hotel was spotless, and the garage parking was across the street. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side quieter. You don't want to face the Main Street as it tends to be nois...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear religionCanada,
We always appreciate it when a guest takes the time to leave us a review. I see that you are quite a traveler! Thank you for mentioning the highlights of your stay here at the Crowne Plaza Dayton, we look forward to seeing you again when you are in the area.

Wheeling, West Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

As a person that travels a lot for my job let me say it takes a lot for me to do a public survey. Now it all started with check in, as a guest I would like to be told about different things in the hotel (example the elevators, or breakfast) the gentleman that checked us in (front desk supervisor) jus handed the room keys over and that was it. The next problem as soon as I actually got into the room I had to contact the front desk to send a maintenance man up to fix a problem with the bathroom (which was covered in long hair) the front desk stated within 5 minutes the maintenance man would be there 2 hours later I was still waiting, (keep your promises)

Everything looks dated, the wooden room doors that do not close and lock properly are a safety hazard!!!

I would have to think long and hard before I book myself or any team member of my company here again. All I can say is thank god it was a one night stay!!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Hotel M, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Dayton, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear Brad B
We would again like to apologize for the disappointment you encountered during stay. When you spoke to one of our managers on duty, she offered to refund your room charge but you declined. If you have rethought your decision please contact us and we will extend our offer of a refund. As a professionally managed hotel we regret that this room was released into inventory and caused you a negative experience. I hope that you change your mind and will give us another opportunity to show you how great a stay at the Crowne Plaza Dayton can truly be.

Toledo, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

Jordan at the front desk was so helpfull and accommodating. Our room was really nice and the bed was so comfortable. They let us bring our little dog and put us in a room away from loud noises, so our dog would not bother anyone. We had a great weekend and staying at the crown was the cherry on top.

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Wileyra,
Thank you for taking the time to give us your 5 star review. I will be sure to pass along your comments to Jordan. Our staff always appreciates it when someone comments that their service added to their stay. We wish you many more happy travels with your pet!

Michael Larson

Been to Crowne Plaza Dayton? Share your experiences!