“Better than average- a good place with great service” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #8 of 45 Hotels in Dayton
NY, NY
“Better than average- a good place with great service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I think TripAdvisor needs a rating between average and very good. The Crowne Plaza would fall right there. The good stuff first: The big plus for this hotel was the great service top to bottom. The shuttle drivers (free!) helped me out in a big way. The front desk answered every question. And the restaurant was great. The food was delicious-both dinner and breakfast. Nice wine list. Attentive service. A great view. I would give it a very good but I don't want to mislead that this is a fancy place. It is a nice place that I enjoyed. However it isn't a '"fine" hotel. It is simple, nice hotel. Spacious lobby that looked newish. It looks to be undergoing some upgrades and it does seem that some part (the gym) for example are quite nice and new. Some other things,for example the elevators are pretty dinged up, could be next. The room was comfortable and clean. The ceiling in my bathroom looked like it had been repaired but not yet painted. I can't complain b/c I got an incredible rate.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Hotel M, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Dayton, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and we appreciate you taking the time to give us a review. Thank you for recognizing our staff and we aim to inspire and delight each and every guest. Service is as important to us as it is to you. Our hotel is still in the process of putting the finishing touches on our renovation. I am glad you took the time to visit our restaurant with it’s one of a kind views of the area and new menus. We look forward to serving you again as our guest should you return to the area!

Michael Larson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Cary, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I dunno,what happened to the Crowne Plaza? What happened to linen spray? What happened to the feel of this place? I love Crowne Plaza's usually. I gave this place a chance, although my whole family booked at the Marriot. I thought it would be neat to see downtown from the windows. That was nice I must say as I am a city girl.
The front staff were nice and did acknowledge that I was a Priority Club member and gave us bottled water. Michael Larson would do well to write a note to those staying here for the first time and encourage them to come back to Dayton, otherwise I think it's one of those places that just sinks into your memory as absolutely unmemorable. House keeping should be more responsive when called. Called for toiletries, after our return from a wedding, and uh he never came. And the housekeeping staff who works weekends should not be knocking on doors at 9am unless she was called to come to bring something to the room. Who is in charge here? We called for ketchup after our breakfast came. Uh, he never came back. Although they were kind enough to call and let us know our breakfast would be delayed. And, the coffee was pretty bad. Need to get the coffee thing down better. Very lackluster. I wish this place could hold its head higher, as its location could be pretty attractive to tourists. And, the pillows are lumpy, which I would never complain about normally, but it's just sad. The hotel doesn't need to look fabulous, or feel fabulous, but the people need to be trained to want to make people feel at home, and...fabulous.

Room Tip: If you want better service during the week, get a Priority Club Membership.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your experience with us regarding your recent stay. Its feedback like this, both positive and the opportunities that enable us to get better. Since you were here with a group during your stay you should have received a welcome letter from the entire staff with specific information about your group and the hotel at check-in. From your comments, it sounds like, that didn’t happen and I apologize.

The Crowne Plaza brand is re-launching its sleep advantage program and gone are the lavender spray, night light, drape clip, cd and eye mask. Beginning this spring, we will be rolling out the new program that will include response aromatherapy resting cream, quietude calming mist and a soothing balm. We would be happy to forward you one of the new kits when they arrive if you would like to try it out.

I have reviewed your feedback on the room with my front desk, housekeeping and restaurant teams to try and prevent that from happening in the future. Thank you for staying with us, we look forward to taking care of you again if your travels bring you back to Dayton.

Michael Larson, General Manager
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

The hotel feels old, but not in a charming way really. I feel like their remodel was so-so. Its an okay hotel. There is a restaurant on the top level and the convention center is connected with an indoor bridge, so it has a good location.

• Stayed January 2013
Hotel M, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Dayton, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear Littlemrsbush
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent experience here at the Crowne Plaza Dayton. The feedback our guests provide is extremely important. Based on your comments we did not meet our goal of exceeding your expectations. We want to thank you for being our guests and hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Indy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

This hotel is decent, but for the money, definitely book elsewhere. First off, the lobby has a horrific fishy smell. Don't spend too much time down there. Parking is down the street in a very sketchy looking parking garage off property. The garage was deserted, and we felt very uncomfortable leaving our vehicle so far away. The room was good with comfortable beds and clean linen. The staff that we encountered in housekeeping and the front desk were less than warm. We requested a late checkout at the front desk upon checkin, and the associate said that they would be able to accommodate the request. The next morning, however, the housekeeper came right into the room at 7am without even knocking. When we explained to her we had a late checkout, she just looked at us and left without another word. In the restaurant, we waited for almost 25 minutes for someone to take our order. When the food arrived, two of our orders were wrong. The steak, ordered medium, was charred well done. One of us ordered a BLT sandwich and the bacon was barely cooked. The waitress was very nice and took our orders back to have them re-done. It was a half hour later before the two of us got our food back. The other two finished eating and went back to the room without us. They comped the steak, and the server was very apologetic.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Hotel M, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Dayton, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear Nikki9191
I would like to apologize for the disappointment you experienced during your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Dayton, and thank you for taking the time to share your honest opinion of your recent stay. We have a wonderful staff and your experience was not typical, but you were negatively impacted by this; for that I am truly sorry. I will be speaking with the staff and I assure should you visit us again, you will have a better experience. Our staff goes to great measures to provide excellant service and we look forward to the posibility of showing you how great your stay at the Crowne Plaza Dayton can be!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

The renovations are great ! The place and the people are wonderful. We stayed here our first trip to Dayton at Thanksgiving. So we are on our Christmas trip now and had to come back. We enjoy our night caps at the hotel bar. Sarah takes great care of us at the bar ! Spending wonderful times with our new Grandson while our son is at WPAFB.

• Stayed December 2012
Hotel M, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Dayton, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear Holderman,

Thank you for taking the time to stop by TripAdvisor and give us your wonderful review. I am glad you were able to visit your grandson at WPAFB for the holidays. Many guests stay here at the Crowne Plaza Dayton while visiting WPAFB and it is always our pleasure to be of service to them. I will be sure to pass along your compliments to the staff and to Sarah as well. We look forward to having you as guest the next time you are in the area. Have a wonderful New Year!

Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Staff was friendly and courteous including one I thought was exceptional at the restaurant upstairs. Her name was Sarah Wendoff I believe. I wish they had an indoor pool or some kind of game room with pool or something like that but otherwise you can't really go wrong here for Dayton. Good food, staff and rooms.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Hotel M, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Dayton, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Dear Joshua S
Thank you for the great review, I will be sure to pass your compliments on to the staff and let Sarah know you mentioned her by name. Our restaurant has the most wonderful views and we are excited about the renovationof both the hotel and the restaurant. I hope we are able to be of service to you again, the next time you are traveling through the area. We appreciate your business.
Dayton, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

The staff was nice but not accommodating. As an airline crew member, our company rent several rooms nightly. I was in need of a phone charger for which they have. I had to leave my phone with them to charge my phone or pay $15.00 to purchase. People leave chargers daily, hotels have boxes of these in lost and found. I offered to leave my drivers license to hold until i charges my phone and returned it. They could not do that. Sad day.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Dayton, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Martha W,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit at our hotel. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations specifically with the unsatisfactory service you received from our staff. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Crowne Plaza Dayton? Share your experiences!