“Friendly Staff, Comfortable Rooms, and Great View of the City” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #10 of 45 hotels in Dayton
Stillwater, Oklahoma
“Friendly Staff, Comfortable Rooms, and Great View of the City”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Generally speaking the Crown Plaza staff is very friendly and helpful; however if you are a Priority Club member make sure your membership number is attached to your reservation when the reservation is made. Mine was not and the staff was really challenged in getting it added to my reservation after the fact. Should have been simple but that was not the case. Rooms are comfortable, plenty of room for your "stuff". The restaurant on the top floor of the hotel offers a limited menu but a great view of the city. The hotel is within walking distance of the Oregon District which has some great locally owned eateries. Also a 5-10 minute drive from Sinclair CC.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Hotel M, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Dayton, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear Biff G,
Thank you much for sharing your kind words. I am glad that you found the staff accomodating. They take pride in making each guest's stay a memorable experience. We look foward to welcoming you back into the hotel.

148 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Woodstock, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Check in was easy, the staff was very friendly, the location of the hotel was next to a lot of restaurants and shopping, the outdoor pool was wonderful because they turned the heat up for us. The restaurant at the top of the hotel was very nice, gorgeous 360 degree view of the city. The covered parking garage was handy. The room was clean and decorated nicely, it looked newly remodeled. The beds were the MOST comfortable ever, I couldn't believe it. I should have looked to see what kind of mattress it was. I would buy one! The breakfast buffet was good, although they charged for it, no free breakfast.

My single, ONLY complaint about this hotel, why I didn't give my rating 5 stars, is because the walls are super thin, and I was kept awake all night by the wedding party guests partying in the room next door. I could hear their normal conversation voices as though I was sitting right next to them, and as they got more drunk they started screaming and yelling and dancing around, it was awful. I don't know that I would stay at this hotel again just for that reason, I highly value sleep. Otherwise it's a very nice place. If you can get a room without neighbors.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from everyone. Walls are paper thin.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Hotel M, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Dayton, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear NTW8,
Thank you for taking your time to review our property here at the Crowne Plaza Dayton. You are right in that our hotel has just undergone a renovation including our rooftop restaraunt "View 162". I'm glad you noticed how comfortable the new beds are, each bed allows the guest to adjust the firmness for their best sleep. Our staff takes great pride in the services they provide. I regret that the wedding party interupted your sleep, this is highly unusual. In the future if there is anyting we can do to make your stay more comfortable please don't hesitate to ask. We look forward to serving you the next time you are in the area.

Hillsboro, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We only stayed here one nite and didn't have any major problems but did feel the hallways and rooms could use some improvements. The carpets looked older and worn in places and the bathrooms were small and dated. The reading lights on the beds were broken. The Staff were all friendly and helpful and room service was quick and efficient.
With a little work this could be a great hotel!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Hotel M, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Dayton, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear Golfer010_11,

I appreciate you sharing your experience. Thank you for your kind words regarding our staff and the efficiency of our service. Our staff has made great strides to ensure that we are the preferred hotel for the downtown Dayton area. We have completed our renovations but are still adding a few final touches. We hope that upon your next return to Dayton, that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel.

Grantsburg, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

From the lobby to the elevators, hallways, and rooms, everything was clean and well maintained. The staircase between the lobby and 2nd floor make you feel like you're in a grand hotel! Bedding, towels, and furniture look new. The extra reading lights on both sides of the king bed are a very nice extra touch. Staff was attentive and even brought extra coffee packets to my room when I had a long work session.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Joanie M
Thank you so much for sharing your recent experience. I am glad that you found the updates enjoyable. Our staff has worked very hard to ensure the cleanliness and the quality of the hotel exceed expectations. It is our goal to provide you with excellant service and top notch accommodations during your stay. We hope to serve you again during your next business or personal trip to Dayton. We'll keep the coffee pot on!

Vancouver, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

My stay was only one night but I had a nice comfortable bed. The room is a big LG TV a refrigerator, Coffee maker and iron. The furniture and decor in the room are very nice. I think this is one of the nicest Crowne Plaza rooms I've been in. The hotel is also centered in the middle of downtown and has a great location.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Ty B,

Thank you for your review, we here at the Crowne Plaza Dayton go to extra lengths to serve our customers. You are very important to us. As you mentioned, our location places us at the heart of many area businesses. We have finished our renovations and your comments regarding your accommodations tell us we are right on track. We look forward to providing you with another great experience during your next stay here in Dayton.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

I stayed there two nights and had the worst experience of any hotel ever, and I travel frequently! The rooms were nicely decorated to hide the filth! The toilet was dirty, the vents dusty, the shower had mold! My blanket had a hold in it to match the bath towels! The carpet was dirty and rolled up off the floor. The First night I stayed, there was an entire football team staying on the floor I was on... At 2:30 in the morning they converged on the floor screaming, fighting, pushing, and just plain LOUD... I pushed the phone button for 'Security' and got no response! I then called the front desk three times for the next 90 minutes getting no action on the hotels part!! They claimed to address it, but I believe they finally passed out!

**WARNING**

The last day I went to pack up my car only to find SIX CARS with busted in windows from someone breaking into cars the night before!! Luckily mine wasn't one despite only 20 some cars in the garage!

DO NOT stay here... For $100 a night, it's a RIP OFF!!

• Stayed October 2012
Hotel M, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Dayton, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to fill out a comment card about your stay here at the Crowne Plaza. It is clear from your comments that we did not provide the level of service you would expect from a hotel of our caliber. Please accept my apologies for our service missteps and lack of follow up to your requests for security to respond to the noise from the football team.

I appreciate your comments as it serves to help improve our service profile as we move this hotel forward. I do share all feedback, both positive and negative, with our staff members to ensure we can make the appropriate adjustments. Please be assured your comments about your stay do not fall on deaf ears. I have also spoken to the City of Dayton about the cars in the garage as it is owned by them and they maintain the security there. They have assured me that a more vigilant security presence there will occur.

I can assure you that your experience is not indicative of a typical stay here at the Crowne Plaza. We do hope you will consider giving us another opportunity in the future to provide the level of service you deserve and expect at a Crowne Plaza hotel.

Aurora, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I've stayed at hotels in many many places. If you're looking for a trendy up-to-date sushi-serving place, this is not it, and good luck finding anything like that in Dayton (or Ohio for that matter).

Having said that, the hotel is great. It is WELL worth staying on the club level (which is just a few dollars more) for how quiet it was. I stayed on the 9th floor and I heard nothing.

What makes this hotel, hands down, is the staff. Front desk staff? Lexii and Isabella were fantastic, very accommodating. I needed a cell phone charger - they got one for me. I needed to print boarding passes - they helped me. I needed a screw driver - they called maintenance and they came immediately and the gentleman let me borrow whatever I needed, and to just leave it in the hotel room when I was done. Room cleaning staff? The girl who cleaned my room was one of the kindness people I've ever met and did a fantastic job making up my room. (BTW, please leave tips for the cleaning staff, it makes a diff.) Food? Really good, I was surprized. Go to the top of the hotel. Nice bar and view, and really good food. I didn't eat from the buffet (which others have complained about), I ordered appetizers and they were great. The only knock on the restaurant/bar is they need more staff when the hotel is full (which they are working on; there were a couple of new people there the first night I was there). The valet staff were also very helpful as well as the hotel manager.

The beds are great. Yes, the bathrooms are relatively small. Yes, the hotel is dated (you are not staying at the Waldorf, get over it, this is Ohio).

Recommendations to the hotel: the front desk staff could be a little quicker on the draw to help people as they approach the front desk. The valet staff need to be out front looking for cars to arrive and to help them with opening the car doors, getting their luggge, etc. (They'll get more tips for doing this.) Just think "service, how can I help". I already mentioned about the lack of staff in the bar/restaurant. Also (and I don't know if this is available) check the locations of where your guests are coming from. One of the staff at the restaurant was surprized that people were eating as late as they were; I told him it was because a lot of the guests were located out west (I spoke to several guests in the bar that was indeed the case). They're used to eating at 8-9 p.m. Dayton time. Maybe you could prepare for something like this based on the locations that your guests are traveling from.

In my mind, the biggest asset to the hotel is the staff. They make up for the shortcomings of the hotel. Also, please note that I'm rating this hotel relative to Dayton, Ohio.

Anyway, a nice stay at this hotel. If I have to come back, there is where I would stay.

Room Tip: 2 tips: 1) get a room on the club level; 2) get a room on any side other than the south side (the si...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Seated,

Thank you for your review, we appreciate the fact that you noticed the efforts the staff make here at the Crowne Plaza Dayton. Our goal is to provide you with great hospitality and wonderful service with top notch accommodations. We have renovated our entire hotel including the restaurant. Our Rooftop Restaurant offers panoramic views of the Miami Valley while enjoying our new menu. We look forward to serving you again here at the Crowne Plaza Dayton.

Michael Larson

Been to Crowne Plaza Dayton? Share your experiences!