“The lady's getting old” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 46 Hotels in Dayton
Dayton, Ohio, United States
“The lady's getting old”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

I guess every hotel runs down after a time, but when they charge three figures for a room, I'd like to see better upkeep.

We checked in recently due to a power failure at home and a heat wave. The hotel staff could not have been nicer, and they were quite efficient. Our room was nicely placed in the corner of the highest available floor, putting us well away from the noisy parties going on in their lower floors.

The room was serviceable, not outstanding. They provide all of the standard amentieis, but nothing above the ordinary. Upkeep problems included bathroom tile that needed re-grouting, a shower controller mounted upside-down so that turning to "hot" yielded cold, an extremely ugly and badly worn hall carpet, and an elevator that was trashed (perhaps from last night's partiers, and perhaps the hotel cleaning crew got the goop off the mirror and the litter off the floor later that day?).

Parking is in a public garage a little over a block away, or you may opt to have valet parking. The hotel validates your ticket so parking is free, but patrons should know that on weekends when there's a major event in the convention center across the street, available spaces might be a challenge to find.

We did not use the hotel restaurant on this visit, but on previous occasions we thought it was very good. Their breakfast/brunch menus have been excellent.

If you're visiting Dayton to do something near this hotel--say, at the convention center or the trendy Oregon district nearby--then location might justify the expense. But for a $100+ room, I'd like to see better maintenance and a more attractive decor. Perhaps a major remodel is on their agenda in the near future? I'd hope so.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Alicante, Spain
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

Housekeeping terrible. Room size and layout- terrible. Bathroom- pathetic. Upstairs restaurant and bar era resembles something out of the 70's. The food I saw resembled a fast food diner.
The hotel itself is in the bad part of town. This means definitely no walking around at night irrespective of what anyone says.
Not somewhere I would stay again nor recommend.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere on the other side of town.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Dayton, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Dear Mr. Goldberg,

I would like to thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear that the room layout did not meet your expectations. It is guest feedback, positive and negative, that provides us with an opportunity to grow. I am excited to say that we are currently working on our restaurant menu. The breakfast menu is brand new and the other menus are to follow, however, we do offer a wide variety of food; this does include sandwhich items and lighter fair as well has our "fuller" entrees.

We have spoken to the President of the Miami Valley Crime Prevention Association and Police Officer, Chris Pawelski, reguarding any safety concerns about Dowtown Dayton and the surrounding areas, his response is posted below:

I will offer this - on numerous occasions the Dayton Police Department is asked to give safety advice on a wide variety of crime issues, including traveling downtown. A typical response is to travel in groups and pay attention to your surroundings. I personally tell people (suburban and urban citizens) all the time that they play the biggest role in preventing crime. There is very little 'random' violent crime in Dayton, but to ensure safety, citizens need to know what is going on around them and not be consumed on their phone or other distractor. Most of the purse snatching and robbery suspects in any location across the nation look for an easy target - someone who is not paying attention to their surroundings.

Please pass on my contact information to whomever and I will be happy to share with them any information regarding crime and the police department for the City of Dayton.

937.554.5752

Again, I would like to apologize for the inconveniences that were experienced while you were staying with us. If you should happen to travel to Dayton in the future, we would love the opportunity to showcase what we are really about.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

My overall experience was great. I worked with Donna Whittby and April Schanner. They were great with helping me plan my convention. Although my group was small We recieved the same quality as guest that were attending in larger numbers. This was my first time dealing with my group who can sometimes be a bit cantankerous. They never missed a beat by helping to keep thngs cool and under control. The Food was excellent and the women brag about the quality of food and the service the recieved. It is very important to let guest know up front that,their should only be one contact to the Hotel when planning and to keep confusion down, The contact and the event planner should stick to the BEO. Overall your staff was Excellent. Front Desk Service were great.

Anam, Veronica Laquita, Sarah and Isabella very professional. Banquet Services Dave,Brittnay Jasmine Carmel and Rob, Great Job!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Confirmations of Rooms need to be given to the Guest planning and a update each week, to keep track
Dear Charlotte J.,

I am so pleased to hear that your attendees enjoyed themselves at the Crowne Plaza while they were attending your convention. It was a pleasure to host your group! We are anxiously awaiting any future travels into Dayton in the future! Thank you so much for your feed back.

Sincerely

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

The Crowne Plaza Dayton is now a wonderful place for your stay. I'm there all the time because of work. They did a major renovation which really transformed this hotel in an enjoyable place to stay.I also want to share that the staff were very professional and friendly. Richard from the lobby went above and beyound to help me when i requested to have my room changed.Food is also really good. If you need to go anywhere around the hotel area the van driver will take you there.
I definitely recommend The Crowne Plaza for your stay in Dayton.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your kind words. I am extremely happy to hear that our guests are enjoying the renovation. Our staff has worked very hard on the new look and relaunching the Crowne Plaza to be the preferred hotel in the Dayton area. We are looking forward to your next stay with us!

Toledo, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

Rooms are updated with attractive contemporary decor. Cooling system works well in rooms, but too drafty for the guest sleeping near the vents. The hotel common areas were not well cooled.

The best value of this hotel is its close walking distance proximity to the Oregon District (hip shops and unique restaurants and bars) and to the river front and a small movie cinema.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dayton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

Thsi fantastic hotel is a great place to stay. Not only because of it's convenient location and modern rooms with many ammenities but rather the friendlyness of it's staff.
In particular VERONICA has been most excellent with all her help and is a true ambassador for this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Dayton, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind words. We have just completed the renovation and we are very happy that our guests are enjoying the results. I am pleased to hear that our staff took exceptional care for you while you were with us. We hope that you return to Crowne Plaza for any travels into the Dayton area.

Salt Lake City
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

The workers were uniformly cheerful and enhusiastic, but overall the hotel is lackluster and in need of attention to detail fo fix numerous minor flaws.

The location however, cannot be fixed. It is a couple of blocks from some trendy restaurants, but also adjacent or close to blocks of vacant commercial and residential buildings, with worse areas just beyond those. We spoke with some local police officers who STRONGLY recommended not going out of the hotel after dark, and even in daylight to go out in groups, and NOT to park anywhere on the streets in the area. It appears that ubran blight is pushing in on the hotel, not urban renwal pushing back the decay.

Parking is in an adjacent multi-level parking garage connected to the hotel by an enclosed walkway, and there is another walkway across another steet to the Dayton Convention Center. Neither appear to have any video surveillance and are potentially dangerous areas.

I noted these shorcomings: very noisy A/C units; ice machine on our floor was out for 4 days, and may have been out much longer; one room door ajar with the entire lock assembly missing, also for 4 days; grout falling out and tiles loosening in shower; numerous chips in the sloppy brown paint job where the newer brown paint has chipped off revealing the old Holiday Inn white paint underneath; veneer peeling from some of the furniture; accumulated dirt in the corners where carpet meets the baseboard; some dirt on painted surfaces that can be easily removed with a damp cloth; only 3 bath towels for a double room. The lobby has a separate "gift shop" space which is vacant and appears to have been so for some time. Okay, none of these are big deals, but that is a pretty long list for a place that pretends to be "Crowne Plaza" quality, not a Motel Six.

Our limited exposure to their restaurant suggests it may have problems, but will defer to others to rate the restaurant.

And, as a final irritation, this hotel in a very "iffy" neighborhood has signs posted to prevent people who have passed the training and background checks to get a concealed carry license for a legal self defense weapon from carrying a gun there. Willl criminals obey the gun ban signs, or only law abiding guests?

There are numerous other hotel options in the Dayton area within a few miles that should be much better choices.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Dayton, responded to this review, June 25, 2012

Dear UTtraveler84121,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write an online review. We appreciate the kind words about our staff. After reading your review I wanted to a dig a bit deeper and research the city issues mentioned. I reached out to Chris Pawleski, Dayton Police Officer and President of the Miami Valley Crime Prevention Association reguarding your concerns and the things that the police officers stated. He has kindly provided responses below to your comments. If you would like further information in regards to the safety of Downtown - please free to contact him directly - his information is listed above.

Chris Paweleski's response is posted below:

Thank you for reaching out to me to assist with the below comments. I have spent quite a bit of time researching the crime statistics for the entire Downtown region and what continues to be a problem is perception… not reality. I am sure we could have a very lengthy conversation as to why the perception should be better but I will just focus on the comments in the below email.

There are certainly vacant buildings and structures in Dayton - this is no secret. I know there are many groups actively working to improve the condition of vacant structures and have made tremendous strides in doing so. Dayton is not unique when it comes to vacant structures.

I was not there when the officers spoke with the hotel guests so I will not speculate on a he said / she said type of scenario. I will however offer this - on numerous occasions the Dayton Police Department is asked to give safety advice on a wide variety of crime issues, including traveling downtown. A typical response is to travel in groups and pay attention to your surroundings. I personally tell people (suburban and urban citizens) all the time that they play the biggest role in preventing crime. There is very little 'random' violent crime in Dayton, but to ensure safety, citizens need to know what is going on around them and not be consumed on their phone or other distractor. Most of the purse snatching and robbery suspects in any location across the nation look for an easy target - someone who is not paying attention to their surroundings. As far as parking downtown - again, we tell the citizen that they play the biggest role in preventing their car from being broken in to. We strive to get citizens to not leave their valuables or money in their car and we tell them that "if you can see it, they can steal it" It takes very little time to break a window and grab something so that is what most suspects look to do. Personally, I have parked my own car downtown hundreds of times and have never had an issue.

I would strongly disagree with this. I have researched the statistics and have seen the downtown reformation with my own eyes over the last few years. It is unfortunate that this guest has this perception - I would love an opportunity to talk with him/her and show them crime statistics along with positive stories occurring downtown that would suggest the above comment is simply not true.

The guest is right - this is a potentially dangerous area, but isn't everywhere a potentially dangerous area? Shopping centers nationwide have numerous crimes take place yet have 24-hour security!. This all goes back to citizens need to be aware of their surroundings and understand that no one can protect themselves better than they.

It is unfortunate that this guest had this experience when they visited Dayton - please pass on my contact information to whomever and I will be happy to share with them any information regarding crime and the police department for the City of Dayton.

I would also like to personally add that my entire wedding this October is going to be downtown - Rehearsal dinner is at Crowne Plaza, ceremony is at Patterson Homestead, reception is at the Packard Museum AND I have personally suggested to ALL out of town guests to stay at Crowne Plaze… Remember, I am a Dayton Police Officer and know the numbers along with continuously seeing the worst of the worst.

937.554.5752

I also made note of the additional issues that weren't a huge deal to you. However, all issues are a big deal to us. There are a few things that we are in the process of improving, such as our gift shop, we are actually converting that into a Coffee Shop to open in the fall.

Again, we apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced and we would love to have the opportunity to show you what Crowne Plaze Dayton has to offer.

Michael Larson

Been to Crowne Plaza Dayton? Share your experiences!