“Bad Bad and more Bad” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #40 of 45 hotels in Dayton
United States
“Bad Bad and more Bad”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

When we first got there we noticed there were cockroaches on the wall. The bed sheets were torn. The room wasn't clean. And when we tried to get another room the staff yelled at us. When we called to talk to a manager he was "unavailable" and wouldn't return our money. they also told us the pool and hot tub would be open. One. there was no hot tub.Two. the pool was closed.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

24 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Cincinnati
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

This is literally the worst hotel in which I have ever stayed. EVER.

If you read nothing else about this review, read this: bad/no service, dirty, drug use in hotel!

We traveled to Dayton as a family last weekend for my sister's graduation from UD. This place was about 3 minutes away from the ceremony, so the location really was perfect. It's in a somewhat shady, sort of run-down part of town, but it didn't look like a dangerous area or anything. Just down on its luck. There was a Super 8 motel across the street, geese and about five cars in the parking lot and the grass looked like it hadn't been mowed in a few weeks. There was a fitted piece of fabric over the giant hotel sign in the parking lot that said Moraine Inn Suites & Conference Center, so I guess Days Inn just recently sold the place. Right below that was an advertisement for their free continental breakfast. I'll get to that later. There were still Days Inn signs inside the rooms and all over the hotel. Weird.

The lobby smelled like chlorine, despite the sign at the reception desk that the pool was closed. The girl at check-in seemed nice but she was utterly confused and had no idea what she was doing or even how to find our reservation. I have no idea how she got a job in customer service. I guess that's not even her fault, really - just really poor management.

The walk down the hall to the elevators was gross. The carpet was frayed and peeling away from the walls. The paint on the walls was chipping. There were what I assumed to be electrical panels in the walls about every 10 feet. It's a terrible look. I don't think anyone has run a vaccuum anywhere in the hotel (especially the elevators) in about 10 years.

My parents' room was a designated "smoking" room (I didn't even know that was legal!) so they had to change rooms immediately after checking in because it STUNK. They attempted to call the front desk from their room but the only phone in the room did not work so they had to head back to the lobby. That took a while too because the same girl kept telling them they didn't have any other rooms available.

We were gone most of the night but came back to the hotel to find that the bathroom in the room I was sharing with my brother absolutely reeked of marijuana and the fire detector would not stop beeping, as though the batteries needed to be replaced. There were no sheets or pillows for the pull-out couch where my brother would be sleeping. I attempted to call the front desk, but the phone in this room didn't work either. What the heck? So my mom went back up to her room and called the front desk for us, then we got a call telling us to come down to the desk and bring our key cards with us because we were changing rooms. Like it was an order. Rude. Mind you, we got this call on the same phone that had no dial tone and wouldn't dial out 20 minutes before.

I handed him my key card (which also happened to be a Domino's pizza coupon... keep it classy, Moraine) and we changed rooms because apparently it would be entirely too much effort to just send someone up to the room with some batteries, sheets and a pillow. The faucet in the bath was leaking and created a nasty stain on the tub. That didn't even matter to me because there was no way I was going to take a shower in this place. The window in the room looked out onto the closed indoor swimming pool. Half of the deck of the pool was carpet.

In the morning when we stepped out of the elevator, the downstairs hallway smelled like marijuana again, even stronger than it had the night before in our bathroom. The smell was strongest from the direction of a supply closet across from the elevator door. Draw your own conclusions.

We tried to grab breakfast before leaving for the ceremony. Their super duper free continental breakfast was sitting in an area of the hotel that might have once been a bar, complete with two pool tables and some low pub tables and chairs. The bar itself was just a bunch of empty shelves and two disconnected beer taps, sitting there completely unused. They didn't even bother to turn on any lights in the room. The "breakfast" itself consisted of a couple donuts, a few hard old bagels and some empty pitchers of what might have juice or milk sitting in tubs of ice (please see the pictures I've posted here). There were also three drink dispensers in the lobby - one for hot water, one for regular coffee and one for decaf. They were completely out of coffee and no one had any plans to replenish the supply. It was only 8:00 in the morning!

I understand now why the Courtyard Marriott was booked a year in advance. This place was dirty and gross. Please don't waste your money.

Room Tip: Book a room in a different hotel.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

First off the main reason I booked this hotel was for the indoor pool and even called directly to the hotel before hand to ask about the pool and the hotel clerk said yes they have an indoor pool but just the hot tub was not in service. I also asked him prior to booking my reservation to tell me about their 2 bedroom suite that I was getting ready to book. He said it was two separate bedrooms, with a sitting area and small kitchenette. I was like great that is exactly what I am looking for. Well on my arrival March 11, 2012 I was greeted by the hotel clerk with a non-friendly deameanor (like Im just hearing trying to put my hrs in and go home type of attitude) and a dog behind the counter (Hmmmm). She gave me my keys to Room #225 and we proceed to the room. Opened the door to my room and it was a one bedroom king size suite. So I called the front desk and asked why I was placed in a one bedroom suite when I booked a two bedroom, she said because the two bedroom suites are being remodeled. Don’t you think that since I paid money for this I expect what I am paying for and to just put me in any room of their choice was not customer friendly. To top it off, not only was I placed in a room I didn’t book, but the heat/air unit in the bedroom did not work, I asked for a smoking room and I got a non-smoking room, and the next morning when we left their was a sewage smell all throughout the hallway. Almost inbearable to walk through to get to the elevator.
I would NEVER stay here nor recommend this hotel to anyone. They should probably just shut it down all together!!!

Room Tip: Dont stay here, period! You will not be happy
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Littleton, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

* Rusty sink/bathroom faucets
* Loose handicap wall grip bars
* Dust covered
* Working Internet a JOKE
* Toxic smelling river fumes nearby with highway noise
* Just up the street from the power plant
* Left over Holiday Inn phones in rooms
* Mold, mold, and more mold-

Friendly staff, but that is it- Hotel is "border town" material- Day's Inn refunded us $60 after the hotel manager would not call us- Why is this brand name in the business of sleeze room motels?

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011 via mobile

I stayed here for an exam I had in a nearby neighborhood and it was basic and what we needed. We paid cash $67 for two queens non smoking. The room was clean but not new if that's what you're looking for. The front desk staff was rude hence the low Service rating but housekeeping helped us figure out the shower and get clean towels when we got here. There is a continental breakfast and indoor pool so worth the money for us.

• Stayed June 2011
Columbia, MO
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2010

First of all it is located in a desolate area and it is kinda scary. Walked in, there was one light on at the desk, other than that it was dark everywhere, no one was there. Had to walk around looking for someone, when I found that someone, he was rude and dressed very poorly, I asked him why all the lights where off and he said " to save money on our utility bills". The game room, bar, and pool were all closed at 6:00pm on a Saturday. Which is one of the main reasons we chose this place. The carpet was filthy, the whole place stunk like sulfur. The room was very dirty, obviously had not been cleaned,soda spilled on the table still there, bathroom just filthy, outdated appliances, paint/wallpaper peeling off the walls. I Complained they would not refund me, we left anyway! This place should be condemned!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
ouresponse, General Manager at Days Inn Suites and Conference Center, responded to this review, May 2, 2011
The hotel is now under new management and are working diligently to rectify any and all issues.

Been to Days Inn Suites and Conference Center? Share your experiences!