“Don't Stay Here!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #42 of 46 hotels in Dayton
New Jersey
“Don't Stay Here!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2007

I would have given this hotel a 1, but the room itself was actually pretty comfortable. The bed had a nice selection of pillows, and the free wireless was nice. Those are the only positives.

We were given a room overlooking the interior pool atrium (even number). There was a strong chemical odor in the room because they had been working on the coating of the pool, but we were in a big hurry to get to a wake, so we dropped off our luggage and left.

When we got back to the hotel, my in-laws, who were staying in the room next door, discovered that they were inxeplicably locked out of their room, so they came into our room. The fumes had gotten much worse, and the air was no doubt unhealthy to breathe, so we asked to switch both rooms. Our requests were accommodated courteously; however, I question why they would have put anyone in those rooms in the first place, knowing that the work with smelly chemicals was being done on the pool.

Maintenance came up and determined that there was a problem with the lock on my in-laws' room, so we waited with them for the lock to be popped open (surprisingly and unsettlingly easy to do) so they could get their belongings and move to a non-toxic room.

After settling into the new, odd-numbered room with a window to the outside, I decided to fill out the breakfast order slip and place it on the doorknob so it would be dropped off in the morning. When I placed it on the doorknob, I had the feeling that it wasn't going to be picked up- and sure enough, when I checked the following morning, it was still hanging there! Interestingly, someone had dropped off a copy of USA Today and slid the bill under the door, but they had ignored the room service order! We called and placed the room service order, and received an apology.

In the meantime, while the breakfast drama was going on, I had jumped in the shower and realized that there was no shampoo or conditioner in the bathroom. I sent my spouse down to the front desk to get some, and she came back with only shampoo. The hotel did not have conditioner.

Our breakfast order was brought up promptly and apologetically; however they were out of both bananas and cranberry juice (how is this possible?), so we wound up with things other than what we had ordered. The food wasn't very good, either... and they brought us only one set of utensils for two breakfasts! Just the icing on the cake to top off my worst hotel stay in recent memory.

In summary, the room was comfortable- but the bad service and lack of attention by the hotel staff greatly inconvenienced these guests. If you must stay at this hotel, be sure to stay in an odd-numbered room, call in your breakfast order, and pack shampoo and conditioner. If you do these things, you should have an OK stay.

• Liked — Comfortable room.
  • Disliked — Horrible service. Do not recommend at all for business travelers. Don't let any of your clients or employees stay here, no matter what business you are in!
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

24 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2007

What a great place!!! Everyone was so friendly and the rooms were very clean. My family really enjoyed the indoor pool and recreation area. My room was not ready when I reached the hotel and instead of us having to wait they upgraded us to a suite at no additional charge. The font desk also called my room to make sure that me and my family were satisfied with our room. At breakfast I was greated with a smile. My Family and I had a wonderful breakfast. And as we checked out they thanked us for choosing their hotel. I will always return to Holiday Inn Dayton South because they know the true meaning of customer service and making you feel at home.

• Liked — Great overall
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Moraine Suites and Conference Center? Share your experiences!