“Reasonably priced hotel in St Marys” 5 of 5 stars

Cumberland Island Inn & Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2710 Osborne Road, St. Marys, GA 31558   |
Ranked #1 of 4 hotels in St. Marys
Columbia MO
“Reasonably priced hotel in St Marys”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

We stayed at the Cumberland Inn & Suites after arriving in St Marys with BRAG (Bicycle Ride Across Georgia). The hotel looks a little sketchy on the outside but rooms were comfortable and clean. The rooms had amenities of refrigerator, microwave and in room coffee. The breakfast was sufficient to get us on the road. It was conveniently located to the downtown area. If I am ever in St Marys again I would stay there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dave P, General Manager at Cumberland Island Inn & Suites, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thank you for your comments, we're glad you enjoyed your stay. We were very happy to have several BRAG participants stay with us.

95 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Quiet, clean, frig in room. Charming gazebo and pool in garden setting with barbeques. I was going to pay $260 to stay near the waterfront in a B&B or $190 for a moldy vacation rental. But then I realized there was no frig in my room and I don't like the lack of privacy and mildew in old homes turned into Bed & Breakfasts. For $200 in savings, I was willing to give up being a block from the ferry. AAA and military discounts. Walk to banks, movie theaters and drug stores. Plenty of parking in town so why not drive for $200 a night?

Room Tip: Second floor has no elevator, but no one walking over head. Rooms facing the pool have nice view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dave P, General Manager at Cumberland Island Inn & Suites, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thank you so much. We are thrilled your stay was a pleasant experience and that you had a wonderful time in St. Marys. We look forward to having you stay with us on your next trip.
Harwinton, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

I stayed here while visiting my daughter for 2 weeks, and stayed in a suite. My room was nice, clean, and quiet. Loved the wood floors, and having a kitchen and washer and dryer was convenient. The staff was really nice. No complaints... I will stay here next time.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your kind comments. We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us while visiting family and that you were happy with our suites.
We look forward to your next visit.
Lawrenceville, Georgia USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Cumberland Island Inn and Suites enjoys an ideal location for those visiting Cumberland Island. The price is certainly the best and our generous package included a $40.00 voucher for food at one of two top restaurants of your choice and the forty-five minute ferry trip over to Cumberland Island. Located a mere, almost traffic-less seven minutes north of the St. Marys Historic District is a real plus. The well maintained grounds consist of several buildings of rooms, a lovely gazebo, a picnic area, and a covered outdoor pool. Unfortunately, winds approaching gale proportions and driving rain the entire time we were there prevented us from using any of them. The main building where guests sign in, features a lovely reception area, a small but completely equipped workout room, and the usual breakfast area. All immaculately maintained. Our love affair ended the moment upon entering our room. The smell was that of a place that had been closed up for years. It knocked us back. I must make it clear, it was our choice to stay there once I sprayed thoroughly. Because the management was outstanding, I am sure we could have changed rooms had we asked. I only mention this as a factor for visitors with allergies. Non-carpeted floors, however, were a real plus for those of us who are highly allergic. The beds, bedding, drawer space, spotless refrigerator and microwave were all standard. The bathroom and "vanity" area, left much to be desired. The uninviting, stained black top of the vanity would have been a poor choice even when it was new . The soap dish was appalling and the usual complimentary bath accessories, unappealing. Every sad towel showed its age and needed replacing. An unfinished, raggedy hole in the wall where a pipe of the commode lacked the usual cosmetic plate that hid such connections. An online description of the amenities at the Inn included "a free deluxe breakfast featuring Belgian waffles" , "restaurant", and night life in the lounge. While the self-serve breakfast was fresh and inviting (the best coffee ever), the fare was standard for "chains." The only restaurant nearby was across the street, and the lounge had been closed for seven years. The aforementioned outstanding management, however, did give hope that the lounge might open again in the future. Otherwise, loved the good stuff and would stay there again.

Room Tip: State your needs up front when you sign in and if your room is not up to your standard, this managem...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns regarding your recent stay.

I agree with the comments about the black vanity, although it is clean it shows water stains and is a constant source of frustration. I'm not sure what the problem was with the smell upon entering your room, but it is something we will definitely address.

We hope to see you on your next trip to St. Marys.
GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my family (teenagers). Considering the price, it was just fine. The beds were good. The room had a larger than average hotel frig and a microwave. The place was clean. The tub area in the bathroom was a bit dated. The continental breakfast was sufficient, but not a lot of hot food. The checking process was simple and the desk staff was pleasant and helpful.

I recommend this place if you are looking for good, basic accommodations. If you want fancy or atmosphere or location near the pretty waterfront, pick one of the bed and breakfasts.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dave P, General Manager at Cumberland Island Inn & Suites, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
We're happy you enjoyed your stay with us and took the time to let us know about your stay. We hope you will return in the future.
Unity, New Hampshire, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Stayed here while visiting family in St. Mary's. Affordable, clean, conveniently situated close to Jacksonville and beaches, shopping and dining. Nice to have a room with fridge, microwave and washer/dryer. Easy check-in. Staff are accomodating, Would/will stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dave P, General Manager at Cumberland Island Inn & Suites, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know how much you enjoyed your visit. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and look forward to serving you again.
Somerville, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I was dismayed to find that my hotel was 30 miles from the event I was attending. I was even more dismayed when I found out my reservation was cancelled and I had no room. After about 45 minutes and one of the dimmest hotel clerks ever to draw air, they found me a room--for one night. I was out of luck for the following evening.

The lobby was kind of Spartan and threadbare, but while I was waiting to get my room sorted I was able to access the wireless. When I finally got to my room, it was sparsely furnished and not as clean as I would have liked. It was also a bit rundown. As I'd been up 21 hours at that point, I tried to overlook the room's shortcomings and went to bed. At about 1:30 I was awakened by banging, loud voices, a constantly ringing cell phone--more loud voices--and a blasting TV for the rest of the night. I'm not sure I managed 5 broken hours of sleep.

In the morning, when I staggered downstairs and to the main building to checkout I said something to the night clerk. Apparently a very drunken woman had been in the room next door.

It was a bad experience and I would consider this hotel only if all other options were exhausted.

Room Tip: A great room would be one at another hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dave P, General Manager at Cumberland Island Inn & Suites, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
I'm sorry your experience was less than desirable. We certainly would have liked to have known about the noise problem when it happened, so that we could have put a stop to it immediately.

As for your reservation being cancelled, that happened because your party had two rooms reserved for March 6th. Someone from your company called to confirm your reservations on the 6th, and gave names for those that would occupy the rooms. They stated that you would be arriving late that night ( 3/6). You then arrived on March 8th later in the evening expecting a room. As it was 2 days later and the area was virtually sold out because of various events, we did our best to scramble and find a room for you. If only someone had advised us that you were arriving at a later date, we could have changed the date of your reservation.

Once again, we're sorry your stay with us was less than satisfying.

Been to Cumberland Island Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!