“cute but cluttered” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 3 St. Marys B&B and Inns
Cleveland, Ohio
“cute but cluttered”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Innkeeper is nice but perhaps a bit distracted. Our room, like the house, was packed with antique finds that were meant to create an atmosphere. Unfortunately, it is so cluttered that it was hard to find places to put our luggage and toiletries. Also, all that 'stuff' becomes dust traps especially when added to carpeted rooms. Arghh the allergies kicked in and there was something nipping our feet in the room. Breakfast is kind of late especially for early risers or those trying to catch the ferry to Cumberland. Would have liked a little more time - like start servicing at 7:30 instead of 8:00 since the ferry leaves at 8:30. Nice to have coffee available but a collection of teas and hot water would have been nice. Good location but would we stay there again? Not sure.

Room Tip: Pictures on website make the rooms seem larger than they are. Might want to see if the room has bee...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Clearwater, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012 via mobile

My 4 sisters and I spent 3 nights here and had a wonderful experience! Rooms quaint and super clean with comfortable beds. The owner is quite a cook, serving a creative and delicious breakfast each morning. We went to Cumberland Island one day and spent another day shopping in the quaint shops in town. Unfortunately, we did not have time to get to all of them.
Restaurants were great, good seafood and italian fare. I can't say how impressed we were with the hospitality we received at Goodbread House and all of the shop keepers and residents of the town. Definitely a great place to enjoy a few days vacation! We will be back!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

My wife and I took a short vacation to St. Marys and stayed three nights at the Goodbread. We wanted to be close to the restaurants and water, and the Goodbread is two blocks from all that downtown St. Marys has to offer. Granted, there isn't much to the downtown area, but we were looking for a quieter stay. We got a great summer special rate, and our room was even upgraded due to vacancy. Another big draw was that we were able to bring our dog with us as some of the other B&B's downtown would not allow this. We were also only an hour from Amelia, Jekyll, and St. Simon's Island if you wanted to take a day trip to those places. We enjoyed the complimentary wine in the evening and would drink on the swings on the veranda.

Our only complaints are minor. The house is old, and the walls are thin. This didn't matter as we were on the only guests one night. My wife and I thought the rooms and furnishings were kind of cheesy but that's a matter of individual taste. One of the breakfasts was practically inedible, but the other two were fine. The owner was not there during our stay, so this could change if she was there.

Overall, we would definitely stay here again if we were able to get the summer special rate, and we would recommend it if you're planning to stay in St. Marys.

Room Tip: If there will be other guests, I would recommend asking for a room that doesn't border another o...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

On our trip to Florida from our home in Pennsylvania, I wanted to find a quaint town to stopover. St. Mary's fit the bill. As we travel with our dog, we are limited where we can go. I found Goodbread Inn listed. What a treat!!! This house is like a dollhouse with the most incredible collection of memorabilia and gorgeous antiques. Our room was the Scarlett and Rhett suite. I cannot even begin to describe the incredible attention to detail and the absolute charm. In the living room, there was chilled wines, water, ice, homemade cake and snacks awaiting us. We were steps away from restaurants and a beautiful waterfront park and the boat to Cumberland island. Breakfast was delicious with blueberry pancakes covered with peach slices and mild sausage and a sliced strawberry. We enjoyed our stay immensely and recommend this gem to all. It was spotlessly clean.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

There arent many choices in St Mary's and we only stayed at one, Goodbread B and B. I cant compare it to the other hotel/b and b's in St. Mary's, however, I would definitely not return to Goodbread. On a positive note, the staff are extremely helpful and considerate. No complaints there. However, I must agree with another reviewer. Our room had a bad odor, probably from pets having been in the room. We stayed in a room on the first floor. ZERO privacy. you could hear every word being said outside the room (hallway, kitchen , living room etc) and in the adjoining room. In fact, the bathroom had 2 doors, both locked. One door adjoined another room, which was occupied by another couple and the other locked door seperated our bathroom from the hallway.These were just wooden doors, with spaces especially at the bottom. Definitely not sound proof. (Nothing like having an "audience" when you have to use a toilet.).
Bed sheets were dark colored so I cant determine cleanliness,however they were worn.

While the B and B does have Wi-Fi, it is a VERY WEAK signal. I had to go into the living room to get a signal.

All in all, the negatives far outweigh the friendliness of the staff. Never again, at least by my reasonable, not high end, standards.

Room Tip: I viewed several rooms on the first floor. None appealing. Try the second floor if you have no other...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

Clean, great food, wonderful host. Overall a great stay. Not much I would change.

I think teapartygirl is way off-base with her assessment.

I'm very particular about cleanliness, noise, etc. and would definitely recommend Goodbread House.

Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

I recently stayed at this beautiful bed and breakfast while visiting the quaint city of St. Marys, Georgia for a wedding. The rooms are all tastefully decorated in themes of famous couples. I had the Lucy and Ricky room. Although, I could go on and on about how great the rooms and common areas of the Inn are, I will tell you about the breakfast. Mardja; the proprietor and hostess is full of southern charm. The breakfast started with a gorgeous and delicious yougurt, fruit and granola parfait, followed by a creamy and delightful sausage, cheese and grits dish served in a ramekin and a homemade cranberry bread, accompained by fresh squeezed orange juice and coffee. I will definetely stay at this bed and breakfast again with the large porch (on both floors) to sit on and watch the spanish moss sway in the oak trees in the yard. Did I mention that there is late afternoon/early evening complimentary wine and pastries? One of the most affordable bed and breakfasts that I have stayed in as well. 5 STARS for this establishment.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Goodbread Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!