“What can you expect, you are in the middle of nowhere” 3 of 5 stars
Review of D K Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Arco
D K Motel
You added D K Motel to your Saves list
316 S Front Street, P.O. Box 51, Arco, ID 83213   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Arco
“What can you expect, you are in the middle of nowhere”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

The hotel I was going to stay at was evacuated because of the forest fires, so I was thankful to find this place with less than 24 hr notice. It's a place to sleep and that's all. It's very old an out dated, we got in late so I was too tired to care if it was clean or not. The bathroom is the size of a closet, I barely had room to sit on the toilet, the shower didn't drain well, they did have a small frig, microwave, and a sink outside the bathroom.
Like I said, it's a small town in the middle of nowhere, what can you expect, but for $60, maybe a little more.

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Hendersonville, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

The only good thing I can say is that the health department didn't come to shut the place down while I was sleeping there. The big negative is that the owner is actually allowed to keep running this place and get any positive reviews because he simply doesn't have any good competition for more than 70 miles. If my hand wasn't sticking to something filmy on the phone, alarm clock or door knob, I was touching dust. I pulled back the curtains to unblock the air conditioner and dead bugs and dirt fell out. Mold in the shower and bathroom floor was gross. And to top it all off for us, we had reservations, the owner call us a few days before we were supposed to be there and told us the air conditioner in the room we were supposed to have (with two queen beds) was broken, or leaked or something. His comment was "you wouldn't want to stay in this room." He offered to have us stay in two separate rooms with one queen bed in each room if we were willing to do that. We agreed, but when we arrived, he actually charged us for two rooms! It was evening, we had been driving all day - and here's the kicker - if we had left and gone on another hour to Idaho Falls, he was going to get to keep the charge for one night's stay anyway! His comment was "you'd have to pay this much in Idaho Falls anyway." Yeah, for a room that was clean, well-lit, without mold, and with working electrical outlets. My advice - keep driving through Arco and don't look back. On our way back, we are staying in a Best Western in Idaho Falls, and the difference is HUGE!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Arco hotels

Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

You're in the middle of nowhere and this place is a good stay. The room was clean, it is dated but its a small town motel.

I thought the guy at the front desk was pretty cool, and checking in was probably the fastest I've ever had.

My one drawback was that there were only two pillows on the bed and they were small. I usually use two or three myself so only one wasn't enough.

If I found myself passing back through I'd stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013
Auburn, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Incredible price, rooms are basic but clean and service was great. We stayed here one night and visited the Craters of the Moon National Monument which was a 15 min. drive at most. For where the motel is and what else is there in Arco, the value was exceptional. The manager is nice and helpful. He does not take your credit card when you book, so I recommend that you double check your reservation several times so you know you have a room.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Nampa, Idaho, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

There is not much to choose from when staying in Arco. I will list pros and cons.
Pros:
Did not see any bugs in the room.
The AC worked fine. (Temps in the high 60s)
19 inch tv had quite a few channels to choose from.
Manager was nice.
Cons:
WiFi did not reach our building. This sucked since cell phone internet was hit or miss.
Floors sagged in some spots or were not level.
Furnishings were old.
Beds sagged in the middle.
Bathroom the size of a closet with a dark dinky shower.
I have stayed in worse but not with my family. Arco is not a town I would like to frequent. I did see a couple of other motels but I can't imagine they are better. This is probably the best place to stay in town.

• Stayed June 2013
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

Stayed two nights at D&K Motel to visit craters of the moon. The room was spacious and clean and the beds were comfortable. The fridge and microwave in the room were convenient. There was a nice porch to relax on to enjoy the evenings as well. Really close to restaurants, bars, and the grocery store. EBR 1 (google it) 15 minutes drive away. Also if you want some good and inexpensive steak and great food drive to Mackay, Amy Lou's restaurant was super delicious!

• Stayed June 2013
Kalispell
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

The motel is old and a bit on the dilapidated side; the room was clean and the young woman at the desk was friendly and accommodating. The lighting was so-so, and the ceiling fixture over a bed in an alcove didn't work (could have been a burnt-out bulb). The WiFi worked, but was rather slow -- possibly because of low bandwidth in the area. I don't think you could watch a movie or a long filmstrip without a lot of starts and stops, but it was fine for email.

On the other hand, the front panel of the outside door was falling off and flapping like a loose shoe sole, and when I pulled the door shut (had to pull pretty hard) I scraped a bunch of skin off my hand because the molding on the door jamb was so close to the doorknob that there was almost no clearance. I learned to close the door with my other hand and, on the upside, I now know where to buy bandages in Arco.

The beds were comfortable and the bedding seemed well-laundered. Pillows were so-so, but from long experience with motel "rubber" pillows my wife and I have learned to take ours with us whenever possible.

There didn't seem to be much motel choice in Arco, and the D-K seemed the best of a not-too-inviting bunch of choices. Hurrah for the staff and "meh" for the facility.

One minor point -- like most motels, the D-K has the practice of putting all their guests right next to each other in adjacent rooms, even when there are only two or three guests in a motel with dozens of vacancies. I suppose it makes for less travel with the laundry cart, but when there's a choice (and of course often there is no choice) why not separate the guests by a room or two? it would cut down on the noise from the next guy's TV or his argument with his wife. This togetherness is an almost universal practice (I travel a lot) and it seems universally unnecessary. I'd make a point of coming back to any motel that would space the occupancy by room or two, when they aren't full.

End of rant -- sorry. DK folks are just following standard (if foolish) practice with the adjacent room trope.

Room Tip: Maybe ask for a room with a vacancy on either side. Good idea for any motel, not just this one. Som...