“Great Local Spot” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Newport News, VA
“Great Local Spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

Co workers and I go there for lunch pretty often and it never disappoints. It's not the cheapest but it's delicious and not just the BBQ, the chicken is fantastic as well! All the sandwiches and sides are great and the girls who work there are always super friendly and welcoming. It is quite small inside but we've never had a problem getting a table at lunchtime.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Yorktown, Virginia
“Best baked beans I have ever had”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

This is a great bbq place. They have great baked beans. Its pretty small on the inside but never a long wait. They also do a great to go business and catering

Visited July 2013
upton
“Good BBq”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Was looking for a place for dinner after a day at the beach and decided on Smokin Joe's. glad we decided to give it a try. We were not disappointed. I ordered he 1/2 ribs/ chicken combo and was not disappointed. I forget what the rest of he family ordered but they also were very happy with their choices.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Virginia Beach, VA
“Something must have changed here”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Something must have changed here since the earlier reviews were posted. We were passing through at dinner time and ate there with my grandson. I think I'm being charitable when I give even a poor rating!

I ordered the two meat special ($10.99 +/-) with the pulled pork (not the worst I've had) and the "pulled" beef brisket (which was the worst I've ever had)! The beef was dry and tasteless! Guess they "pulled it" because it was too dry and tough to slice. The cole slaw and collard sides were good.

My grandson had the spare ribs and they were really SPARE! The small amount of meat on them was dry and gristly! He thought his fries and BBQ beans were good. Guess if I stop there again (not on your life) we'll just order the sides.

I believe this is the first POOR rating I've given a restaurant and as I said above it was out of charity.

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Yummy BBQ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

Last year this place catered a wedding I was in and it was sooo good that when I was in town again this year we decided to stop and get some pulled pork. It did not disappoint. The flavor is soo good and when you add their BBQ sauce, I really liked the sweet cajun(I believe that is what it was called) I just about died and went to heaven. Plus their original BBQ sauce is excellent as well. Prices are really good and you get plenty food when you get a combo which comes with two sides. The nice this is they have different sizes so if you don't want 1/2 lb of meat you can get a 1/4 lb and its plenty. I hope to go back again when in town.

• Visited June 2013