“Excellent value, authentic creative Mexican food” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 86 Restaurants in Yorktown
Cuisines: Mexican
Bowie, MD
“Excellent value, authentic creative Mexican food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

We were actually looking for another place on our way from Maryland to Virginia Beach, but didn't find it and were hungry, so stopped at Azteca because there were lots of cars, always a good sign. For under $30, we got a delicious shrimp "gratin" (?) appetizer... a dish full of grilled shrimp and a great, creamy sauce. I had a cheese enchilada and chicken/spinach quesadilla with rice. My husband had the special... two chicken burritos with rice and beans, plus he had a "Natty Bo" beer, iced tea, and I had coffee. All delicious, with gracious and efficient service. Good place for families... there was a large party; I think a high school girls' athletic group. Very nice atmosphere, menu with lots of variety. Also, I usually have dairy sensitivities but had none after this meal, which indicates good quality ingredients, storage and preparation. We will probably stop here on the way back. Would highly recommend!

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Yorktown, Virginia
“We love Plaza!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Plaza Azteca is a local chain of Mexican Restaurants. I have been going to the various locations since college. The food is always wonderful, the prices are great and the service is quick. We are so glad they opened one in Yorktown!!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Juan Our Awesome Server”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Made the experience of eating a great one. The food was fresh and came quickly. We ordered the at your table made guacomole. $7.99 for an attendant to mix two avocados,tomatoes,jalopenos,cilantro and lime. I might have missed onions not sure, the point is that the Guacomole is great but if it was brought from the kitchen I would not have likedit less. Too much money for guacomole. The kicker is the guy has a TIP jar next to him?? Does the restaurant not pay him enough?? You think they would for the $7.99. We had the carne asada 11.99 a chicken burrito and the steak fajita. All fresh and delicious. The waiter was entertaining and helpful. When he found out it was a birthday he came out with the waiters adn brought a dessert. So nice and thoughtful. They should have the prices for drinks on the menu. Really they gouge you on that. Great atmosphere. Ask for Juans table when you go. They didnt get four stars because of prices and the huge tv facing me while I'm eating.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Yorktown, Virginia
“Reliable Mexican”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Enjoyed a margarita and lunch at Plaza Azteca. My wife had lunch steak fajita (which I helped finish) with rice and beans while I enjoyed the fajita burito with rice and beans. All was delicious and well served in a nice setting. That's why we keep coming back.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Quality food with great service!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

My family met another at Plaza Azteca and all of our food and service expectations were met with quality food and quick, courteous service. Great Mexican dinners, but a little pricier than other local Mexican restaurants. However, we are always willing to pay for a great dinner!

• Visited November 2012