“Great stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Yorktown
East Rochester, New York, United States
“Great stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

I was put up at the Candlewood Suites by my company for multiple weeks while training for a new position. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. It was your basic Candlewood Suites room with an efficiency kitchen sharing one large room with your bed and living area - no separate bedroom. It was clean and smelled fresh.

Free coffee that was pretty darn good in the pantry near the front desk. No breakfast (but there is a Chick-fil-a within walking distance). Free laundry too, just bring your own soap.

Only issue, and it was at no fault of the hotel: On one of the days I was there, when I pulled into the hotel I was on the phone with a coworker and carrying groceries. I left my car unlocked - something I NEVER do! Completely my fault. My GPS, a pair of cheap sunglasses, and my Sunpass (Florida's answer to the EZ Pass) were stolen out of my car. The joke was on the thief though - my GPS wasn't really working properly and I reported my Sunpass stolen... so good luck with that :-) When I reported it to the hotel, they made sure to review the security footage to make sure it wasn't an employee or hotel guest. Unfortunately it was neither. Random truck pulled up in the wee hours of the morning and a guy checked every car to see if it was unlocked. Oh well. Bottom line - lock your car. This isn't an unsafe area, I felt safe and comfortable the entire time.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
DOSM-Scott-C, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Newport News, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear pnkrkgrl85,

Our deepest concern goes out to you during that time. I believe the weekend you were here was Jazz Festival weekend where some of the stranger occurances take place. We appreciate your understanding during that situation and hope that next time you have a 100% relaxing time while you are with us. This is certainly a safe part of town. Outside of that we are pleased you enjoyed yourself. Looking forward to having you stay with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Newcastle upon Tyne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

We spent 5 nights here, our room was overlooking the lake at the back which was very pretty. The bed was only a Queen, which was a little small, and we only had one bedside cabinet. The curtains could have been a little longer, as I found the sunshine woke me up early peeping through the bottom of the curtains. Good sized fridge with a freezer, a coffee maker with 2 packs of complimentary coffee, but you could get free cups of coffee downstairs. The washer and tumbler were free to use which was a great boon. Cleaners moving about on the floors were very friendly. They didn't clean the rooms until you left, and if you needed to change your sheets or towels, you took them down to reception and they supplied you with new ones. The weather was hot while we were there, so got to use the outside pool a couple of times, very comfortable beds. We had a few problems with the keys not working, but this was rectified. The general manager Chris helped greatly with an issue we had, which was rectified immediately. Thanks Chris! Within walking distance of pictures, we had a bar snack at Unos which was just ok, they do a happy hour up until 7pm, make sure to ask which drinks they are. Tried Saiski, the asian restaurant, which was great. They also do happy hour drinks from 4-8pm. Also went to Second Street restaurant, a bit more pricey but upmarket, large portions and lovely inside with attractive outside seating.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Pinchy,

We are glad you had a great extended stay with us. Chris has been a great asset to our team, in fact recently he was promoted. Unos, is one of many restaurants in the shopping center that has discounted beverages. If you venture out there are over 20 more in the same shopping area. Thanks for the nice comments and mentioning we are one of the few hotels in the area that have a fresh coffee brewery 24/7 in our lobby. We look forward to your return to stay with us. Cheers.
Ogden, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

Very good value and place to stay. Was very clean, comfortable quiet room....suite. Staff was very courteous. Restaurants close, easy to get to. Had outdoor grilles for use (didn't use them). Would spend a couple days and cook own meals here easily.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Bru 15,

Thank you for the nice review. Next time hopefully you will get to use the grill. It is definitely nice to be able to have the option to fire up the grill outside or the stove in your room. Please let us know the next time you come stay with us so we can make sure you get a view of the lake in the back. See you soon.
Williamsburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

We recently had to do some remodeling and needed a place to stay for couple of weeks. This place was great! It was centrally located so both my wife and I had no problems commuting to our jobs (Williamsburg and Norfolk). The room had a kitchen with everything we needed for our time there and the grocery store in the shops very close by made it easy to grab whatever we needed for our meals. We even got a chance to go see a movie (which we hadn't done in ages) at the theater across the street. The staff there greeted us with a smile and hello every day when we got back and made us feel at home. We'll definitely recommend this hotel to friends and family when they come to visit.

Room Tip: We had a Queen suite on the back of the hotel which overlooked a lake.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Chris K,

Well, we are sure glad you were able to venture out and see how convenient our location really is. Between the Regal movie theater across the street; Unos, Three Amigos, 2nd St American Bistro, and Sasaki being walking distance. Then throw in the grocery stores Walmart, Farm Fresh, Kmart, and Krogers. Then any fast food you can think of all in the same shopping center. Once you realize there is a hidden lake behind us it's just overwelming. Next time be sure to ask about the ice skating venue around the corner. We are truely in a great spot. Quiet but close to everything. Thanks for the great comments and we hope to see you again soon.
Miami, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel quite a few times, and already have several very positive reviews on this site. However I felt that I needed to let potential travelers know of a few problems.

I checked in on Christmas Day and, as usual for that time of year, the hotel was very slow. I remembered the desk clerk, Frank, who told me on my last trip that I should ask for an upgrade to a suite on my next visit. Since it was slow, I asked, and he gave me a one-bedroom suite. Nice! Frank also told me he only had a few days left here, as he had taken another job somewhere else. Apparently the hotel was recently purchased by a new owner, and is showing some blemishes. Hopefully the new owner will spruce things up.

There were a few problems with the room. Having been a guest here many times over the last few years, I don't think the carpet has ever been changed. It is the same nondescript brown/tan carpet that has been here for all the years I have come here. There were some very suspicious dark stains on the carpet in my room. Cleaning won't help; it seriously needs to be replaced. The only upgrade I have seen over the years is the addition of flat screen TVs. I was on the second floor (201), so it is not a "pet room" (they are on the first floor). When I picked up the phone on the desk, a very long strand of dark hair was stuck to the receiver. Eww. Doesn't housekeeping wipe the phones down during their weekly cleaning? Two days before I left, I realized that the phone in the bedroom doesn't work at all. It is plugged in, but there is no dial tone. The (broken) clock radio/cd player was flashing "12:00" when I checked in. I couldn't figure out how to set it, so I just left it unplugged the entire time I was there. Every time I turned on the cold water in the kitchen or bathroom (full-force), water would come spilling out around the top of the fixture. I think this could be remedied by something simple like new washers. The door closed VERY slowly, and would suddenly speed up and slam shut at the end. So I would always stand there and help it close slowly, so as not to disturb other guests.

The hotel was pretty quiet, especially since I was at the end of the hall. There was an instance (thankfully only one night) where someone checked in directly above me (I guess that would be room 301). They stomped around all afternoon as if they were wearing heavy boots, and it sounded as if they were moving the furniture around. Then, at 4 AM, I was awakened by some very loud...um..."bed sounds" directly above me. This went on for at least an hour. Was there a group up there making an adult movie or something? It honestly crossed my mind.

I like having the full kitchen. I like the convenient neighborhood and friendly staff. It's also great to have the free laundry facilities. I am only concerned about what seems to be deteriorating facilities and slipshod housekeeping. I will likely give this place one more shot when I return in the summer, to see if the new owners have made any improvements. If not, I may have to (sadly) start staying somewhere else. I really have loved this place in the past, and it is disheartening to see it going downhill.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Newport News, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Dear timbolester,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. It is lovely to hear that you are a regular visitor to the hotel. We take all feedback from our guests seriously. It helps us gauge what we are doing right and what we need to improve on. I'd like to apologize for the issues you experienced at our hotel. Please be assured that the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.

Again, thank you for your time and staying with us.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

We had a fine stay at the Candlewood Suites in Yorktown. The room was clean, quiet, and had all the extras Candlewood offers (kitchen and utensils, fridge, desk/workstation, free coffee and popcorn, etc.). We didn't use the workout room or the pool this time around, but we did stop on our way out to ask the desk folks about any tips and tricks for Colonial Williamsburg, our next stop. Boy did we hit the jackpot! Christ S. at the desk was a wealth of info (he used to work over that way), he sent us on our way with maps, tourist info, non-tourist info, and a few of the secrets of getting around Williamsburg (and the othe 2 cities in the 'triangle', Yorktown and Jamestown). Thanks, Chris! You are the reason we pick Candlewood--the staff is always the best!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Jean C,

Thank you for such warm comments about Chris S.. Since your stay he has actually become our General Manager. He is truely a wealth of knowledge indeed especially when it comes to Busch Gardens, Water Country, Great Ape and Colonial Williamsburg. Feel free to contact us upon your next visit to the area. We look forward to your return. Thanks again.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

I recently stayed with my husband and 2 sons for 2 nights in a 1-bdrm suite. Check-in was quick. Hotel staff very nice. Room was nice and clean. Full size refrigerator, microwave, and a stove top for cooking. Room was stocked with plates, cups, pots, anything you could think of. And the windows open! It was so nice to stay in a hotel and have a fresh breeze blowing in. My only complaint would be that the AC did not seem to flow into the bedroom from any vents, so we had to keep the bedroom door open. The reviews on this site helped me choose this hotel. After the many letdowns from hotels in Hampton Roads, VA, we will gladly return to Candlewood Suites in Yorktown.

Room Tip: Note that there this hotel has smoking and non-smoking rooms. It seems that smoking rooms are all on...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
GM_PHFCW, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Newport News, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear ceecee1224, Thank you for taking the time to post your review of the Candlewood Suites Yorktown! We were delighted to hear that you & your family enjoyed your stay with us, including our spacious one-room suites. A lot of guest usually miss the vent in the bedroom that you turn on that circulates the A/C. I do apologize for any inconvenience that may have caused. Thanks again for choosing the Candlewood Yorktown and we hope to see you again!

Kindest Regards,
Melissa Perry

Been to Candlewood Suites Newport News? Share your experiences!