“Quality room with EXCELLENT customer service” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Yorktown
Yorktown, Virginia
“Quality room with EXCELLENT customer service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I've stayed in several extended stay hotels, and so far, this one tops them all. The location is perfect because it's at the end of a dead end road, surrounded by trees, a large pond, and very nice homes. If peace and quiet from the outside is what you're looking for, this place has it. Also, it's conveniently located near Texas Roadhouse, Ruby Tuesdays, and the best sushi place in Hampton roads, Saisaki Asian Bistro (check it out if you like sushi!). The rooms are located in two separate buildings split by the main road and parking. If you live in the building opposite the office and everything else, you have to walk outside in the cold mornings for breakfast, but it's not all that bad.

I've dealt with the front desk staff a few times, and they've been nothing but courteous and helpful. In fact, they go above and beyond. It turns out my skin is sensitive, and gets irritated by the detergent they use to wash the linen. The operations supervisor promised she would go buy the type of detergent I use for my clothes that night, and wash linen specifically for me to have the next day. Never in any of my travels have I been treated so well by hotel staff for rooms in this price range.

The continental breakfast is pretty nice. Monday - Friday it's open from 6-9am and Saturday-Sunday from 7-10am. The breakfast area is small, but they offer quite a bit of options you can easily take back to your room. Individually wrapped bagels, English muffins, and toast are available with an assortment of jelly and cream cheese, as well as hard boiled eggs, multiple brands of cereal, several types of yogurt, juices, granola bars, muffins, and most importantly, coffee (dark, house, and decaf).

The exercise room is very small, with only a few machines to use. If you're looking to go for a jog, I recommend just running outside because the surrounding area is very pretty.

Finally, the rooms. I'm more than happy about them. The kitchen has an oven, range top, microwave, refrigerator/freezer, and a dishwasher. Obviously, if you're staying at an extended stay hotel, you're doing so for the option of making your own meals as opposed to dining out constantly. This place makes that task very easy. There is a grocery store 2 minutes away, and that's if you get the stop light red. The bed is extremely comfortable for a hotel. If you're expecting you're bed from home, you won't be as happy as I am, but if you're used to hard hotel beds, you're in for a treat. I've yet to have a bad nights rest. There is an LG 32" HDTV on a swivel, so you can easily adjust it to watch from your bed, on the sofa, or while at your desk. It has a wide variety of regular and hd channels. it also has HBO in HD. The bathroom is big enough, although I'm staying here by myself. I imagine it could get crowded quickly if your family is with you.

Ok, so there are a few things about my stay I'm not thrilled with, but in no way will it prevent me from recommending this place.
- the free wifi is pretty slow, especially during peak hours. If Netflix is your thing, expect long buffering periods, or opt for the better wifi thats 4.99 extra per day.
- the walls are kinda thin. I had loud neighbors for a few nights, and it was miserable, but they didn't stay long. Also, I'm sure the front desk would help out if necessary.
- I'm 6'3, and when standing in the shower, I'm a few inches from hitting my head on the ceiling. So if your 6'5 or above, expect to take a shower hunched over or while bending your knees.

All in all, this place is an absolutely great deal for the money. If I come back here for business again, I'll definitely be staying here.

Room Tip: I recommend a top floor room, so you don't hear people walking above you. Room 319 in the buildi...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
Sharletia W, Manager at TownePlace Suites Newport News Yorktown, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Thank you for sharing your experience at the TownePlace Suites Newport News Yorktown through the Guest Satisfaction Survey.

With a mission to provide superior customer service, we take great pride in serving your needs and are delighted to hear that we have met your expectations. As a VALUED Cusomer, your feedback will be shared with the team to continue to inspire and motivate them to deliver exceptional customer service.

Thank you for staying at the TownePlace Suites Newport News Yorktown and we hope you choose to stay with us again whenever your travel needs bring you back to Yorktown.

SHARLETIA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Germantown, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Hotel is located near a strip shopping mall with a grocery store, gas, and restaurants nearby so that made if very convenient whether you want to shop & cook or eat out. I really like the convenience of having the kitchen and a larger refrigerator when I am staying multiple days at one location. Bed was super-comfortable and so nice to have a sofa to chillax on. Nice large desk area so you can spread out. Breakfast was OK - cereal, yogurt, toast/bagel, muffins. Wold be nice to have something hot, like a breakfast sandwich you could microwave.

Green Features: They conserve water, use CFC bulbs, don't change towels daily if you want to reuse them
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2015

Great hotel. Designed for extended stays, suites are outfitted with complete kitchens -- including stove with oven and full sized refrigerator/freezer. Room is serviced by housekeepers only once weekly unless requested otherwise by guests. We were able to get fresh towels when needed by simply asking the front desk. Room was VERY spacious with a nice bathroom and large closet. There was a large business desk and a separate work table in our room. We also had a couch, coffee table and flat screen television. Our bed was full sized with white lines and very very comfortable. Breakfast was good and the hotel also has a small but adequate work-out room and coin-operated laundry. Hotel is in walking distance of several restaurants and shopping center with grocery store is right across the highway. We will look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Forest, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2015

Stayed here for 1 night. Front desk guy was very good! Gave us a bag with 2 waters, 2 granola bars & a microwave bag of popcorn. Not sure if this is standard or for Marriott Reward members, but nice touch. We had a queen studio, very ample space. Bed was comfortable & linens nice . There is also a kitchen with dishwasher, fridge, microwave & stove . Plates, utensils also provided. Couldn't have been nicer. Bit hard to find, turn beside Courtyard & it's tucked at the end of that street. Would recommend!

Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2014

Stayed with them from Friday, August 29 through Wednesday September 3. It was a last minute getaway before the kids went back to school on September 4. We chose this location because it was in between everything we wanted to do. Williamsburg, Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Jamestown, etc....

Check in went smooth, in fact we got an upgrade to a 2 bedroom suite. The suite was roomy for our family of 3. Kitchen had new stainless steel fridge, dishwasher and microwave. Granite kitchen counters. Deep stainless steel sink and they gave us dishwashing liquid, automatic dishwashing pods and paper towels. Kitchen was stocked with everything we needed (pot, pans, dishes, colander, cookie sheet, silverware, toaster, coffee pot, pot holders, cooking utensils etc.....) Everything worked, and nothing was broken. Beds were super comfortable. I asked for a feather free room, as I am allergic, and they accommodated my request.

I am very allergic to dust, feathers, mold, etc... and I was very comfortable in this suite. I did not sneeze once. I have stayed with family before that doesn't vacuum and dust, and I have been a non-stop sneezing machine. Not at this hotel. Everything was clean. I even walked on the carpeting with white socks to see if my socks got dirtied, and they didn't. When a floor can pass the white sock test, it is a good sign.

The bathroom had a full tub and shower and they gave us little bottles of shampoo, conditioner, and soap. The two bedrooms had very comfortable beds; the master had a desk as well. The living area had a sleeper sofa and a comfy chair with a flat panel TV. Flat panel TV’s were in each bedroom as well. Nice selection of channels. We also had a comfortable table that sat three people for eating. The windows were new and the curtains were white and clean. The bedspreads were also white and spotless.

There was a pool outside, but we didn't use it. They have seating in the pool area, and tables with a gas grill if you want to grill. We saw a family one night grilling hamburgers and eating outside at one of the tables.

The WiFi worked well and it allowed us to use our IPAD, and research things in the area. The WiFi was free. If you forget your IPAD or your phone doesn't cooperate, they have a small business center in the lobby with one small computer you can use for free.

They served a continental breakfast. Cereal, bagels, English muffins, packages of instant grits and oatmeal with condiments for the oatmeal (raisins, walnuts, brown sugar) and some sort of pastry. Juice, coffee, tea and one morning they even had hard boiled eggs. They had the usual condiments, like peanut butter, cream cheese, butter, etc... They had fruit out in large bowls all the time, even when it wasn't breakfast. The apples and bananas were good. In the early evening, they put out fresh baked chocolate chip cookies. They were delicious. My husband enjoyed the free USA newspaper every morning with his breakfast. My usual breakfast was an English muffin with peanut butter, fruit, juice and coffee. My daughter loved making oatmeal and having fruit. My husband had his cereal with fruit, coffee and juice.

We got a refresh service, where they came in and took out the garbage, made the beds, and gave us new towels. They also replaced things we had used in the kitchen, like the dishwasher pods, coffee for the coffeemaker, and gave us new dishtowels.

We used the laundry area a few times (washing beach towels, swim suits, etc...) It is $1 for the wash machine and $1 for the dryer (all quarters). They provide you with the soap and dryer sheets.

Everyone was friendly. They answered questions about Williamsburg, Virginia Beach, Jamestown, etc.... The morning lady was very friendly, smiling, and always telling us that if we needed anything, we can just ask.

There was always plenty of parking when we got back from our daily trips. We went to Colonial Williamsburg, toured the campus of the College of William and Mary, did a tour of the Norfolk, Naval Base, went to Virginia Beach a couple of times, and went fishing on a party boat in Hampton. Our family had a great time. The location was perfect.

We were on the second floor. We don't believe anyone was above us, because it was very quiet. There are 3 floors, and they have elevators if you don't want to use the stairs. Noise was not a factor and we slept and stayed peacefully.

This is a pet friendly hotel. We met a couple of really nice dogs. Oakley was one dog, and another puppy, whose name I don't remember... All well behaved, adorable, dogs. So nice to know that the option is available. Our dog passed away a year ago, but I would have loved a hotel such as this that would have accomodated her. In our house, the dog is a family member, and trying to find good hotels that accepted a pet, was always a problem. Good hotels that are pet friendly are in short supply and often force families to board dogs at kennels. This is really not good for the dogs as they are unhappy and don't understand what is going on. Many dogs become depressed, refuse to eat, and become ill.

All in all, I would rate our stay 5 stars. We would come back here in a heartbeat. In fact, we probably will, because we would like to go to Busch Gardens and Water Country USA. when it is not "peak season". Maybe sometime in May. When my heart heals and we rescue another dog, I will bring he/she along with the rest of the family.

Room Tip: If you have trouble with stairs, ask for a room by the elevators.
Green Features: They recycle. We seperated our plastic bottles and glass bottles and put them in the recycling bin. After the first day, the cleaning lady took the recycling out for us.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
New York, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

The hotel overall met the needs of my husband and I but offered nothing special. We stayed 6 nights and the main reason I chose the hotel was for the kitchen. Easy check-in and great customer service. The people that work at towneplace are curtious and helpful. The room was nice but there was a subway sandwich in our fridge and no toilet paper or paper towels. We were able to get these things from the front desk and they were very apologetic. The breakfast is bare bones. Just cereal, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, packaged pastries and packets of plain oatmeal and grits. I've stayed at all kinds of budget hotels and usually the breakfast can be counted on for at least some waffles. The gym was awful. They have 2 machines and one was out of order the entire time. The elliptical they had working was on its last legs. I was very dissappointed considering on very hot and humid days it's nice to have some equipment to workout on. The parking is also a huge issue. We came back during the week at 10pm and there was no parking spots. Apparently the Marriott next store uses towneplace's parking lot for their overflow. It was annoying to come back each night and not know if we would have a spot. Also the internet is bad. Connection would go in and out. They charge you $4.95 for upgraded internet and it was very suspicious that the free internet kept crashing. Considering the abundant amount of hotels in the area I will probably pay a bit more and stay somewhere that offers a little bit extra.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Greenbelt, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Our room was very clean and the staff was very friendly and accommodating. The location was convenient for quickly getting to all of our planned excursions in the area like Virginia Beach and the Williamsburg area. The only downside to our visit was there was a youth basketball tournament going on in the area. The hotel was filled with noisy teenage boys. The manager was kind enough to refund a day of our stay to make up for the inconvenience.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to TownePlace Suites Newport News Yorktown? Share your experiences!