I've stayed in several extended stay hotels, and so far, this one tops them all. The location is perfect because it's at the end of a dead end road, surrounded by trees, a large pond, and very nice homes. If peace and quiet from the outside is what you're looking for, this place has it. Also, it's conveniently located near Texas Roadhouse, Ruby Tuesdays, and the best sushi place in Hampton roads, Saisaki Asian Bistro (check it out if you like sushi!). The rooms are located in two separate buildings split by the main road and parking. If you live in the building opposite the office and everything else, you have to walk outside in the cold mornings for breakfast, but it's not all that bad.
I've dealt with the front desk staff a few times, and they've been nothing but courteous and helpful. In fact, they go above and beyond. It turns out my skin is sensitive, and gets irritated by the detergent they use to wash the linen. The operations supervisor promised she would go buy the type of detergent I use for my clothes that night, and wash linen specifically for me to have the next day. Never in any of my travels have I been treated so well by hotel staff for rooms in this price range.
The continental breakfast is pretty nice. Monday - Friday it's open from 6-9am and Saturday-Sunday from 7-10am. The breakfast area is small, but they offer quite a bit of options you can easily take back to your room. Individually wrapped bagels, English muffins, and toast are available with an assortment of jelly and cream cheese, as well as hard boiled eggs, multiple brands of cereal, several types of yogurt, juices, granola bars, muffins, and most importantly, coffee (dark, house, and decaf).
The exercise room is very small, with only a few machines to use. If you're looking to go for a jog, I recommend just running outside because the surrounding area is very pretty.
Finally, the rooms. I'm more than happy about them. The kitchen has an oven, range top, microwave, refrigerator/freezer, and a dishwasher. Obviously, if you're staying at an extended stay hotel, you're doing so for the option of making your own meals as opposed to dining out constantly. This place makes that task very easy. There is a grocery store 2 minutes away, and that's if you get the stop light red. The bed is extremely comfortable for a hotel. If you're expecting you're bed from home, you won't be as happy as I am, but if you're used to hard hotel beds, you're in for a treat. I've yet to have a bad nights rest. There is an LG 32" HDTV on a swivel, so you can easily adjust it to watch from your bed, on the sofa, or while at your desk. It has a wide variety of regular and hd channels. it also has HBO in HD. The bathroom is big enough, although I'm staying here by myself. I imagine it could get crowded quickly if your family is with you.
Ok, so there are a few things about my stay I'm not thrilled with, but in no way will it prevent me from recommending this place.
- the free wifi is pretty slow, especially during peak hours. If Netflix is your thing, expect long buffering periods, or opt for the better wifi thats 4.99 extra per day.
- the walls are kinda thin. I had loud neighbors for a few nights, and it was miserable, but they didn't stay long. Also, I'm sure the front desk would help out if necessary.
- I'm 6'3, and when standing in the shower, I'm a few inches from hitting my head on the ceiling. So if your 6'5 or above, expect to take a shower hunched over or while bending your knees.
All in all, this place is an absolutely great deal for the money. If I come back here for business again, I'll definitely be staying here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Visit the TownePlace Suites Newport News Yorktown located near NASA, Langley AFB and Williamsburg. Our hotel features features studio, one, and two-bedroom suites with fully-equipped kitchens, spacious living and work areas, and free internet access. Other features of our extended stay Yorktown hotel include a 24-hour business center, on-site laundry facilities; fitness center, courtyard with gas grill & an outdoor pool. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Orbitz, Marriott, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com and Expedia so you can book your TownePlace Suites Newport News Yorktown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Towneplace Suites Newport News Yorktown Hotel Yorktown
- Towneplace Suites Yorktown